Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,881,084 times

Advertisements

I stole this Facebook status from one of my friends who is a single mom. I just thought it was so beautiful and hit home since I grew up in a single parent home most of my life.

Quote:

Sometimes I sing to my son. I can't sing worth a damn, but it doesn't take much to impress a four year old. Our two favorite songs are (insert your favorite songs' name here.) Those are our lullabies.

This morning, I curled up in his bed with him to snuggle and just take in his precious smell and sweet sleep noises. Having a child brings the realization that your purpose in life is not solely your own any longer. You exist to give life to this new person. You are their whole world. Never will you be more in love with another human being than that of your child. More so for my comfort, I began singing (insert song here), and I had my first breakdown in a long time when I came to the line:

"Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans"

I left him still half asleep and I'll come home to him half asleep tonight. This doesn't happen often, but I do come home every other day preparing to get him in bed. I had my first breakdown in a long time in that little (insert adjective) bed. It takes a lot. I'm a pretty stoic person, but not for that little guy. That's my best friend. He's my little light that showed me a long time ago that the world isn't such a dark place, after all.

I can't. Can't. miss any more of his life than I already do. I already share 50% of his precious time with his dad.

I need to find a better way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM

40,996 posts, read 49,412,263 times
Sounds like the Father could write the same. At least they are both involved in the childs life, shame they have to split the time.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,340,690 times
there is no better way, if you can't live together.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,137,768 times
That's nice, and she must be so sad. The song is Beautiful Boy, by the way. My husband sings it to our son all the time and always brings tears to my eyes.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
That's nice, and she must be so sad. The song is Beautiful Boy, by the way. My husband sings it to our son all the time and always brings tears to my eyes.
Yeah, I kinda took out the song title purposefully. She does not know I posted this thread (thankfully she ain't on C-D.) She wrote this before going to work a 12-hour shift. I felt sad for her missing so much time with her kid during the week. Any idiot who reads her feed can tell she loves her kid to death. I can see my mom having a few moments like this when I was young. I'm not going to be a parent myself but it puts into perspective how much mom had to go through raising me virtually by herself.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,529,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Is that the song Lennon wrote for his son? I seem to remember the melody, but aside from the chorus I don't recall the lyrics.

I can completely relate to the OP's quoted sentiments, except I have both my kids almost 100% of the time.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,278,290 times
Must be so hard to work such long hours when you only have 50% of the time with your child I share custody with my child's father but I still have 70% of the time and I don't have to go to work so I can spend the time with my child. Its hard enough not having her for that 30% but to not even really see her when I do have her - it would be heartbreaking. I feel very sorry for the mother the OP is referring to (although I also agree that the child's father probably feels the same way, that is why I don't begrudge my ex his time with our child)

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,871,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah, I kinda took out the song title purposefully. She does not know I posted this thread (thankfully she ain't on C-D.) She wrote this before going to work a 12-hour shift. I felt sad for her missing so much time with her kid during the week. Any idiot who reads her feed can tell she loves her kid to death. I can see my mom having a few moments like this when I was young. I'm not going to be a parent myself but it puts into perspective how much mom had to go through raising me virtually by herself.
What I like about 12 hour shifts is that you only need to work 3 days a week.

She should arrange it so that she has her child on the 4 days she's off work and let the father care for him on those days that she works.

Life is about choices, she could choose instead to get a job with 8 hour shifts but then she'd have to work every day.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,295,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is that the song Lennon wrote for his son? I seem to remember the melody, but aside from the chorus I don't recall the lyrics.
Yes. It's especially touching to me because John Lennon was murdered when he was only 40, which left his two sons without their dad.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What I like about 12 hour shifts is that you only need to work 3 days a week.

She should arrange it so that she has her child on the 4 days she's off work and let the father care for him on those days that she works.

Life is about choices, she could choose instead to get a job with 8 hour shifts but then she'd have to work every day.
Heheh, it aint like that. The mom lives in Louisville and it is very common to do 12 hour days 5 days a week for weeks on end, in menial jobs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting