Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your teen (13-17) have an iPhone?
Yes and I pay the full bill 24 42.86%
Yes and they help pay the bill 8 14.29%
No if they want one, they can wait until they can get it themselves 11 19.64%
No there is no need for a kid to have an iPhone 13 23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,280,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
iPhone's are very expensive, I have one.. but I pay for it myself, I'm 21.. BUT, I would advise getting your child an Android phone. Android phones (created by numerous companies like Samsung etc.) are JUST as good as iPhones. Apple devices are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, you're paying for the name, the 'coolness', the social connotation that comes along with it, not the abilities of the phone. You can do ALL of the EXACT same things, get the SAME apps etc. on Android phones like the Samsung S2/ S3 etc.

If you do get your kid an iPhone go for an older model like the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 is just WAYYY too much money for a teenager (unless of course they are paying for it themselves). I can assure you that my next phone however will be an Android operating system device.
You're injecting your subjective opinion here. There's plenty of reason to warrant either one over the other. The iPhone makes perfect sense if the child already has an Apple ecosystem. While most apps can be had on both, not all can.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,776,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Okay, but what does a 13 year old need an iPhone for???? I just can't see paying extra money on a cell phone bill just to have access to email or internet on a phone, especially for a child.

I got my daughter her first cell phone when she was 9. The only reason she got it was becuase we go into Manhattan a lot and she was taking classes there. I wanted her to have the cell phone in case we somehow got separated or if I would be late in picking her up.

She's 14 now and "everyone" has an iPhone or "smartphone" and she wants one. I told her no way and that if she wants one, she can get one when she's a little older and working and she can pay the cell phone bill each month.

I don't have a "smartphone" or iPhone --- I have no need to check email or the internet while I'm out. I think if I was in a business situation where I needed immediate access to email, I would have one. Other than that, I see no need for it.
I HATE this argument. No one "needs" a smartphone. I remember the days of payphones too. My daughter has an iPhone because it was pretty much the same price as a non-smartphone.

The "what kid needs" argument always boils my blood.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,776,238 times
Oh and the poll is skewed. "Yes and I pay the full price" doesnt tell the whole story. My daughter's phone was added to my plan. $20/month. Some people would rather have their daily Starbucks. That's ok. I dont go to Starbucks I spend it on my daughter's phone.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,383,249 times
Quote:
And do you pay for it or does the child help pay for it?
I have three kids and my two oldest have smart phones. Because when my wife and I get upgrades for $1, we give the old ones to our children.

It's a phone, a calculator, a gps, a personal assistant, etc. etc. Plus, on select occasions, we've been able to find the thing when it got lost through the Track My iPhone feature. Why wouldn't we give them one?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,006,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
iPhone's are very expensive, I have one.. but I pay for it myself, I'm 21.. BUT, I would advise getting your child an Android phone. Android phones (created by numerous companies like Samsung etc.) are JUST as good as iPhones. Apple devices are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, you're paying for the name, the 'coolness', the social connotation that comes along with it, not the abilities of the phone. You can do ALL of the EXACT same things, get the SAME apps etc. on Android phones like the Samsung S2/ S3 etc.

If you do get your kid an iPhone go for an older model like the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 is just WAYYY too much money for a teenager (unless of course they are paying for it themselves). I can assure you that my next phone however will be an Android operating system device.
Apple devices do not necessarily cost less than Android phones. My son just got a Samsung Galaxy S4 for $149. The iPhone 5 was $99.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Apple devices do not necessarily cost less than Android phones. My son just got a Samsung Galaxy S4 for $149. The iPhone 5 was $99.
I think you meant "more".

Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM

OP, are you concerned about whether parents are willing to part with their money to provide their child with an iPhone or whether the parent feels that it is a good idea? They are two different lines of thought. Some parents might think it's a horrible idea and it's not a question of money. Other parents might not think it's a bad idea but value their money higher than whatever value it brings the child.

The poll seems to be geared around the expense of an iPhone.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,006,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think you meant "more".
Yes I did.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,762,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
OP, are you concerned about whether parents are willing to part with their money to provide their child with an iPhone or whether the parent feels that it is a good idea? They are two different lines of thought. Some parents might think it's a horrible idea and it's not a question of money. Other parents might not think it's a bad idea but value their money higher than whatever value it brings the child.

The poll seems to be geared around the expense of an iPhone.

A little of both. I wanted people's opinions and thoughts on a child having an iPhone/smartphone.

For me, part of the reason she won't have one is because I see no reason for someone of her age to have one. Just another expensive gadget.

The other part is the expense. I can't see paying extra each month for something that is not needed. It would be an extra $30 every month for a "shared plan" plus the cost of the phone (at least $99 each).

Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,619,191 times
Quote:
A little of both. I wanted people's opinions and thoughts on a child having an iPhone/smartphone.

For me, part of the reason she won't have one is because I see no reason for someone of her age to have one. Just another expensive gadget.

The other part is the expense. I can't see paying extra each month for something that is not needed. It would be an extra $30 every month for a "shared plan" plus the cost of the phone (at least $99 each).
As has been posted multiple times, many children get hand-me-downs when parents upgrade, and family plans vary considerably. Many kids already have an iPod or an iPod touch which is an iPhone minus the phone. Not much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.