Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 11,741 times

Advertisements

Why not simply skim past the status updates you're not interested in and focus on the ones you are interested in? A lot of what people post to Facebook consists of baby pictures, unwitty quotes, internet memes, and minutia ("This is what I'm eating for dinner!). I just skip it all. I don't unfriend or hide because I don't want to lose track of who can see what and whatnot. I just don't take what people post there so seriously.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,761 times
If people stopped posting pointless crap, facebook would cease to exist! Most of the non-kid stuff nobody cares about either.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I'd much rather read posts by proud parents about their kids than (1) pictures of what they're about to eat; (2) that stupid grumpy cat; (3) the millionth variation of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger;" (4) "Like" if you love Jesus, "Ignore" if you love the Devil; (4) It's Monday, boo/ Friday, yay; (5) "I have a cold today;" or (6) "Like" if you recognize this picture of... David Cassidy or whatever.

Facebook is inherently annoying, but still useful for keeping up with friends and family in faraway places.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I am new to facebook. Those things do not bother me.

I don't have a kid but sometimes I like to see how other's kids are doing. With families and friends being so far away I am fine when people post things that are important to them.

A year ago I thought all people on Facebook were nuts. People change.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Moderator Cut

Anyhow, I have a friend, once a very close friend, but we stopped hanging out frequently a few years ago. She was in my wedding party. On fb my husband showed me an article she "liked" by that STFUparents blog titled "where did my friend go?". I feel bad for her. A number of her very close friends have ended up having kids (planned and unplanned). This definitely changes things in a friendship and I can relate. When my best friend married it was a difficult adjustment for me. When she had her kid it was even more so. I had to adapt. This other friend is still partying and traveling and having a great time like we all did back in the day, but now many of us are tethered to different lifestyles. I looked for a way that I could block her from certain posts and pics I put up, but right now it seems to be an all or nothing thing. I hope fb adds a feature like that in the future.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-07-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Reply to a deleted/orphaned post

Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vprocore2 View Post
As the mom of two I cannot for the life of me understand why people would want to post about their kids 24/7 on Facebook. It's tacky, it's distasteful, nobody (except perhaps immediate family) wants to look at my kids or hear about my kids 24/7, and it's just plain obnoxious.

Yay for you that you have a baby with a great Apgar score, or a 5-year-old that is already doing volunteer work at an animal shelter, but trust me, nobody cares EXCEPT YOU.

It's just so uncouth and classless to gloat about your kids online. It just screams of attention-seeking and low self-worth.

Maybe they need to include social media training at Lamaze........
I guess I don't have any friends posting 24/7 about their kids, although my cousin posts 1-2x a day about her baby and I love the updates, it helps me keep closer to them when I am far away. My posts are sporadic, but peak on the weekends when we are out and about and I snap a photo and post it. I love looking at where my friends are with their families.

People post what is going on in their lives and what makes them excited...here are some of the top topics I see on FB:

-kids and their activities
-pets of people with kids
-games people are playing
-those postcards with vintage pictures that have witty comments about drinking
-what people are eating
-Articles from the news
-quotes about life
-recommended stuff (advertising)

I used to see a lot of political posts, but I unfriended all people that posted too many things on politics, whichever way they lean (except my bro).

Of all this, I think the family/kid stuff is the best.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
This morning my Facebook news included:

A post with a polarizing political article that on closer inspection turned out to be complete nonsense.

Four pictures of cats in various positions on a sofa.

A post by my cousin that aired some very dirty laundry about his ex-wife and the mother of his children.

A post by a friend that included almost everything she did since she woke up this morning.

and

A bragging post about how my relative's son just tied his shoe by himself.

Of all of those, I would take the bragging parent any day!

Old 05-07-2013, 04:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hmmm...Being old, and from the 'good old days', I am tempted to state a known historical fact:

Parents love their children; so they brag and talk about them.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems the normal/loving thing to do. It has always been done that way.

The only parents I have ever known who did not do so- were really selfish and self centered SOBs!
Brag (thesaurus.com):

"badger, boast, brag, brazen, browbeat, bulldoze, cow*, crow*, domineer, gloat, hector, rant, rave, ride the high horse, roar, roister, shoot off one's mouth, show off, storm, strut, swagger, swell, talk big, vapor, vaunt, yap"

With synonyms like that, you kinda do have to be really selfish and self centered to brag, right?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I've often thought they write about every little thing because they are bored and have time on their hands.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Brag (thesaurus.com):

"badger, boast, brag, brazen, browbeat, bulldoze, cow*, crow*, domineer, gloat, hector, rant, rave, ride the high horse, roar, roister, shoot off one's mouth, show off, storm, strut, swagger, swell, talk big, vapor, vaunt, yap"

With synonyms like that, you kinda do have to be really selfish and self centered to brag, right?

Oh, geez! Young lady, you can't be serious?!?!

Bill Clinton It Depends on what the meaning of the word is is - YouTube

So, we are now to debate the supposed negative connotation of the word?

I have better things to do than that.

I have to get ready to attend an awards ceremony for my genius son.

This same time last year, he won a boat load of awards. It was embarrassing!!

I know I'm a friggin' arse hole of a dad for saying so, and for producing such a son!! Right.

So, unfriend, delete, report, sue, or dislike me. It's your silly choice and call!! LOL!!

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-07-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting