Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times

Advertisements

I have twins. Boy and girl. I REALLY need some ideas. I am good on breakfast, but lunch and dinner-seems like they eat the same things all the time. (Not a great cook. AND dh and I really don't eat things they can eat, such as steak...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:38 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,009 times
Why can't they eat steak? Cut it up in small pieces with small pieces of baked potato--my kids loved that.

My girls enjoyed eating egg salad and crackers. They would dip the crackers in the egg salad. (They had lots of teeth at 1 yr.)

Noodles with butter cut up small was a hit, as well as macaroni and cheese. People will badmouth but grilled cheese sandwiches cut up were my oldest child's fave. My two year old enjoys turkey dogs cut into little piece with cheese.

Toast fingers with jelly; pirates booty; cut up pieces of deli turkey...

Hope something in here helps--coming up with new things gets frustrating

Old 10-27-2007, 04:59 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
You don't have to be a great cook!

Roast some sweet potatoes on a piece of parchment. My kid loves them. Roast them in the oven at 350F until the juice comes out of them and it's all soft and sticky and sweet. Allow to cool a little and peel. You can either mash them up or put them through the strainer like baby food or just roughly cut them up and serve them to the twins.

Slice some carrots and put them in a pan with a small pat of butter and a touch of sugar. Cover and allow to cook until they're almost done. Use a paring knife or to test for doneness. When they're almost done, like 80% done, remove the lid and allow the liquid to evaporate.

My kid eats medium rare steak. You can do steak at home quite easily. The key is finding a nice piece. I like to use strip steak, we share a strip steak my son and I. Here's how you do it. You will need an ovenproof saute pan, preferably NOT non-stick. I have a bunch of 8" and 10" aluminum pans I got at various garage sales that I'm not afraid of thrashing.

First, turn your oven on to 425F. Rub both sides of the steak with a little oil. Salt and lightly pepper the steak on both sides. Put a saute pan on the stove and turn it up to medium high. Allow it to heat for a minute or two. When the pan is hot, sear one side of the steak, then turn it over and sear the other side. You want it nice and brown. Put the pan in the oven for about four or five minutes depending on how thick it is. Remove and allow to rest for about five minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute. When you cut into it it'll be picture perfect like you see in those cooking magazines.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:44 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
Default black beans

open up a can of black beans and add some cinnamon and a dash of sugar to it while it's heating in pan on the stove. Easy and healthy. My kids loved it when they were one and still do at ages 4 and 5.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
It's time to start them eating the same things that everyone else eats. Mash what you can. Cut the meat up small. Add something extra like fruit, even canned fruit or apple sauce, if you can't use enough of the main meal.

Fixing special things for the young ones is what starts them being picky eaters.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:04 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
I agree with Padgett. When my son wanted salsa, I asked the pediatrician if it was okay. She said in many cultures kids are eating peppers, hot curry, etc. from a very young age. If they like it, it's fine. After that, I just offered whatever we were eating. You're past the "no honey- no peanuts" phase, right? Isn't that for the first year?

My kids liked anything they could pickup off their high chair tray when they were little. This was an opportunity to help them develop a taste for healthy proteins. Cube up tofu, rinse a can of kidney beans, give them those little rice cakes. Spread a little cream cheese on them if they prefer. Dice up kiwi, melon, steamed apple, squash, anything. Most kids LOVE bananas. Use that to your advantage. Place a slice on top of something they don't love yet

One last thing- you can hide lots of other veggies in mashed potatoes. Just boil them along with the potatoes! Good luck.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's time to start them eating the same things that everyone else eats. Mash what you can. Cut the meat up small. Add something extra like fruit, even canned fruit or apple sauce, if you can't use enough of the main meal.

Fixing special things for the young ones is what starts them being picky eaters.
Absolutely agree! But check with your pediatrician on which foods aren't to be introduced yet...they changed the recommendations on nut products and others so best to be safe. Other than that it's all good as long as it's small enough for them not to choke on.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,018 times
thank you everyone!
they will be a year in a few days, but were born early so i think the honey and peanuts will have to wait awhile longer. I will give some new things a try tonight!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
A couple more- cottage cheese, yogurt, chili, hard-boiled or scrambled eggs, and all kinds of soups. Sometimes I put warm beef or chicken broth in their sippy-cups. Both kids were (and still are) diehard Cream of Wheat and oatmeal fans. I'd top their hot cereal with berries, maple syrup, jam, or a little cake-decorating sprinkles. Worked like magic. When they were about 2, we started offering sushi. The perfect kid food! Brightly colored, in small pieces, and they can dip them in soy sauce They both love sushi today. I have a friend whose kids hated all things green. Then she let them dip their asparagus, broccoli and artichoke hearts in ranch dressing. Tada! All gone.

The point is, use whatever you have. Every child is different. Don't worry- you'll find what works for your kids.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:50 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Small pasta like orzo work great in soups, it is very challenging for a little one to keep slippery noodles on a spoon, for Mom or baby! Even Ditallini is good.
Rice mixed with all kinds of things.
I used a baby food frinder, but really, you just need some type of food chopper and you can have them eating anything! I put Chinese food in the baby food grinder when my daughter was 5 months old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting