Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,624,635 times

Advertisements

Many parents introduce solids before 4 months : CDC

Pretty awful..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,538,820 times
Seems a bit young for solids. Especially the 9% of people asked who gave solids before one month. Are they nuts? We never bothered with the rice cereal at all. It's just junk food with no nutritional value. Exclusive breastfeeding until around 6 months. Then we started introducing pureed beans, apples, bananas, pears, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots. Meats like chicken and turkey a few months later.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,206,605 times
advice like this goes back and forth. My mother was taught to only BF for a few weeks- it was not encouraged for uper class women at all and she about had a fit when I refused to give my son anything other than me for about his first 8 months. Son was healthy, growing just fine and had no interest so why force him. He's now 6'1 doing just great.( 3 other adopted kids I could not nurse)

I had friends who caved into what their mothers were advocating who started cereals, etc way too early. I hope more parents become aware of the necessity to breastfeed as long as possible and to hod off on the solids. Also when my kids did start eating I took the time to puree my own people food and froze it in ice
trays I bought prepared baby foods for emergencies like travelling, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,218,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
advice like this goes back and forth. My mother was taught to only BF for a few weeks- it was not encouraged for uper class women at all and she about had a fit when I refused to give my son anything other than me for about his first 8 months. Son was healthy, growing just fine and had no interest so why force him. He's now 6'1 doing just great.( 3 other adopted kids I could not nurse)

I had friends who caved into what their mothers were advocating who started cereals, etc way too early.
I know I did. I wish it had occurred to me before that my SIL's weird eating habits could be a result of her mother's freakish obsession with making sure the kids are eating "enough" by some absolutely incomprehensible standard that has nothing to do with health.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,268,073 times
That is pretty awful although I don't think its always because the parents are ignorant or just following the advice of their mothers. Some parents I know gave their young infants baby rice to treat reflux because their doctors wouldn't prescribe medication.

I did baby led weaning, started at 5 and a half months when she tried helping herself to my pizza so I offered a whole banana instead, didn't bother with purees at all.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,509,628 times
My daughter was (by orphange workers)taken off formula and put on puréed foods exclusively at 4mths-think beef stew in a bottle. When we adopted her at 10mths we put her back on formula and solid foods but she hated and refused the formula since she hadn't had it in 6mths. At the time I was devastated and worried about her long term health.

At almost 9 she is in the 98% for height, never sick and a straight A student. Go figure.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,973,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The 4 to 6 months thing has only been started recently actually. In the early 70s pediatricians advised starting solid food at around 6 to 8 weeks. Nursing was still encouraged and most of the nutrition was supposed to be from nursing, but solid foods were started to get kids used to the texture and tastes.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,289,977 times
go ahead and flame me now. I had my oldest on solids starting at 3 months. I breast fed unil about six weeks. I was fine with continuing, but he was done with me. He just wouldn't breast feed. I put him on formula. The boy would eat every two hours and want more. At three months the doc suggested son get 'thick formula'. Basically formula with a little rice cereal. ahhhh the peace! He started getting enough to eat. At 4 months, I started feeding him with a spoon and widened his varieties of food. I had an old fashioned hand crank food grinder. Whatever we were having for dinner, he got a taste of. He would eat anything. He is now 6 foot tall with a 30inch waist. And picky about what he eats! Sometime in elementary school he decided he would never eat anything green again. The only odd thing about his diet... if you want to call it odd... is he is allergic to shellfish. Not anaphylaxis allergic, but benedryl allergic, which is a shame because he likes shellfish.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,432,523 times
What doctors suggest change all the time. For instance, they used to say no pb until 1 yr and now they are starting to backtrack on that thinking the delay of introducing pb for a year may be reason of so many allergies (which I also believe to be true) and now they are saying to introduce earlier.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,188,077 times
My son was born in 1989 and back then pediatricians advised waiting until 6 months for solid food. However, at a little over 4 months, my son started waving at our food and opening his mouth when we were eating dinner, so I asked the doctor, and he said to go ahead and start him on solids. He still nursed for many months, but he wanted his solid food, too. He was always in the 95th+ percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight, so he needed more calories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting