Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better: Long paid maternity leaves or High quality day care and family friendly work place
Long paid maternity leaves are best 13 65.00%
Family friendly work places and high quality day care are best. 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times

Advertisements

A side discussion in another thread has me wondering where people fall on these issues. As I said in the other thread, I do not support long maternity leaves because I believe they will foster discrimination against women, particularly in promotions (or lack therof) and I don't think employers should be saddled with the cost when there is no benefit for them. I also don't think the first 6 months are more important than the next 18 years. I see parenting as a multi decide committment and would rather see employers who make it easier to go back to work and keep working.

Let's say you can only pick one. Giving all mothers 6 months paid leave or contribute towards providing high quality day care for your employees with policies that make it easier to work ( things like flex time, on or near site day care).

Which would you choose to invest in and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Bad poll due to a fundamental flaw. A false dichotomy.

Part of a family friendly workplace is family leave.

It is clearly not an either/or situation.

For some families, staying home unpaid for X number of months is what works best. For other coming back early with a limited schedule is best.

Actually, that is sort of the definition of being family friendly, FLEXIBILITY.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
How about both?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How about both?
I don't think we can afford both. I think we have to choose one. A divided house falls. These two are opposites. One says women belong at home and we're going to help them go home. The other says, women are valuable employees and we're going to help them feel more comfortable working after they start families so we can keep them. They are based on different views of women.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I think a company that offers both would be in a very good postition to attract the best and brightest.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:17 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
I go for family friendly policies for ALL. How about flex time for all and if you provide daycare for the parents, how about a gym for the non parents? Or if a parent needs to leave early one day the next day the childless person can leave early. Or providing paid leave for anyone who needs it regardless of being a parent.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think we can afford both. I think we have to choose one. A divided house falls. These two are opposites. One says women belong at home and we're going to help them go home. The other says, women are valuable employees and we're going to help them feel more comfortable working after they start families so we can keep them. They are based on different views of women.
And your experience running a fortune 500 company tells you this?

Even during the recession many companies were posting record profits. Yes, they can "afford" these, they just do not want to.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
A side discussion in another thread has me wondering where people fall on these issues. As I said in the other thread, I do not support long maternity leaves because I believe they will foster discrimination against women, particularly in promotions (or lack therof) and I don't think employers should be saddled with the cost when there is no benefit for them. I also don't think the first 6 months are more important than the next 18 years. I see parenting as a multi decide committment and would rather see employers who make it easier to go back to work and keep working.
In the other thread you said you didn't support any maternity leave and when a longitidinal study on the benefits of long maternity was presented you ignored it.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:

Which would you choose to invest in and why?
Were I an employer I'd invest in both. Because I've seen the results.

Many years ago I worked for a company that was very progressive for the times on these sorts of things. People went the extra mile because it was such a great place to work. The employer had a TON of perks, paid very well, great benefits, treated the employees more than fairly, had flexible hours for working parents (not just moms) and productivity was through the roof because of it.

They were able to be very selective in who they hired because people were beating down the door to work there.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,220 times
I would want the 6 months off if I could only choose one. I wouldn't use an at work daycare, my husband and I worked our schedules around the kids or my mom would help in an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting