Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,371,247 times

Advertisements

how can we expect our children to be comfortable using words when as adults we still edit, or delete them from right here on this very forum....eg: scr##um....used above with the words penis,vagina etc, yet deleted, I suppose because this correct usage of the testicular sac is considered obscene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM

42,762 posts, read 53,084,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
how can we expect our children to be comfortable using words when as adults we still edit, or delete them from right here on this very forum....eg: scr##um....used above with the words penis,vagina etc, yet deleted, I suppose because this correct usage of the testicular sac is considered obscene.
Hahaha. This is very true. At many preschools the teachers are made to use proper termology. I want my son to be educated and I'm willing to explain or look up any info that he has a question about.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,806,039 times
Quote:
It's not like you go into any great detail CountryFisher, in fact, probably the first time we ever brought it up was when we warned them that if they got up at night and come to our door, they should knock and wait for an answer, otherwise they might find mommy and daddy having sex.....always met with a huge blush and a eeeewwwww. They DO need to know that it's something only adults do, and if they ask, they should be told to as much as they're willing to listen too...which really isn't that much...just the basics..it's for their own protection...unfortunately we have a lot of sick people living in this world, from every standing and profession.
Quote:
right nana053, I'm sure the little boys and girls are going to love saying the words penis, vagina, anus, ******* and breasts together...not...I don't know how anyone (especially a young child) could be expected to describe "differences" and "similarities" in how boys and girls act, unless they've been brought up to believe that they must act a certain way in life, based solely on their gender. Not everyone buys their little boys a truck, and their little girls a doll, so asking a 5 year old what would influence them to act how they think they should act would not be something they could understand, as the biggest influence in their lives would be their role models..their parents, don't you think? They'd probably all say "because mommy does it"...or "daddy does it"...there may be nothing "threatening" about it, but it could prove embarrassing, and upsetting for some children.......and for what?.....[MOD CUT]
I think it's interesting that you are comfortable telling kids to knock before coming in because you might be having sex, but you're not comfortable with them learning the appropriate names of body parts at school. My daughter knew the words "penis" and "vagina" way before she knew about sex, and way way before she knew that her dad and I ever did it more than once. Just different points of view, I guess.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think it's interesting that you are comfortable telling kids to knock before coming in because you might be having sex, but you're not comfortable with them learning the appropriate names of body parts at school. My daughter knew the words "penis" and "vagina" way before she knew about sex, and way way before she knew that her dad and I ever did it more than once. Just different points of view, I guess.
I never said I wasn't comfortable with them using correct words for body parts Marlow, I just think it's something that can (and should) be taught at home. A program like sex ed, for 5 year olds, taught at school ,will only be as good as the teacher who's teaching it. Unless I know that teacher, how can I know that what they teach is not biased in some way, or lacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM

83 posts, read 50,474 times
IMHO, that's an awfully young age for sex ed.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,806,039 times
Quote:
I never said I wasn't comfortable with them using correct words for body parts Marlow, I just think it's something that can (and should) be taught at home. A program like sex ed, for 5 year olds, taught at school ,will only be as good as the teacher who's teaching it. Unless I know that teacher, how can I know that what they teach is not biased in some way, or lacking.
Isn't that true for every subject? There's a curriculum that's been approved by the state and you hope the teacher is doing a good job with it. Even if the teacher is biased or the lesson is lacking, I don't see any long-term harm coming from it. If your child comes home and says the teacher said "X, Y or Z" and you disagree, you can just tell the child that you think "A, B or C" is a better way to look at it.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM

I don't consider math, and reading, anywhere NEAR sex education...especially for 5 year olds. I don't care if "the state" approves it or not, it wouldn't be the first dumb thing that's been approved.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,201,070 times
It hurts a lot more kids not to receive sex education in schools than it hurts kids to have it. Let's face it -- you cannot count on all parents to teach their children these things.

Also all young children should be empowered in ways that makes it possible for them to communicate if they are being touched inappropriately. They can't do that if they have never learned the proper terms for body parts, or how to identify the difference between safe touching & non-safe touching, & what to do if they are touched in a way that makes them feel confused or unsafe.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 PM

How do you know "it hurts a lot more kids not to receive sex education than it hurts kids to have it"?...Who cares if your young one calls his penis a dick, or a wee wee instead..wouldn't you know what he means?..why do you need a sex ed class just to tell the little ones that NO-ONE should be touching them and making them feel bad.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times
Quote:
I don't consider math, and reading, anywhere NEAR sex education...especially for 5 year olds. I don't care if "the state" approves it or not, it wouldn't be the first dumb thing that's been approved.
Please explain what exactly you believe is being taught at that age and why it is objectionable. I am baffled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting