Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,921,202 times

Advertisements

Marylee,
You have to take a chill pill.
They are both 15, so you are probably getting upset only because you have 2 teenagers.
But, please relax a little bit.
OMG, I am sure you were a perfect teenager, weren't you?
Just CHOOSE your battles.
You haven't seen anything yet....don't come down so hard on
non life threatening things like this.
Your job is to protect them from life threating things now.
Drugs, driving with drunk friends, boyfriends who just got out of jail,
drinking alcohol, staying out all night with people you don't know,
don't fret the small things, and don't be soooo strict that they
want to run away from home because they can't stand their over bearing
mother at home.
You are the adult, you ahve to think and act like one at all times.
Don't withhold neccesary dental care from your child because mommy is
mad and stamping her feet, you sound like a fool.
Good luck with your kids, and I hope they can tolerate you
not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
I don't see the point in not insuring her. Will the premiums cost more if she smokes? If so, when she turns 18, have her pay the difference. Not paying for insurance at all is pointless. Any health effects she has will happen long down the road, long after she's off your insurance.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
[quote=Butterfly4u;27945072]Marylee,
You have to take a chill pill.
They are both 15, so you are probably getting upset only because you have 2 teenagers.
But, please relax a little bit.
OMG, I am sure you were a perfect teenager, weren't you?
Just CHOOSE your battles.
You haven't seen anything yet....don't come down so hard on
non life threatening things like this.
Your job is to protect them from life threating things now.
Drugs, driving with drunk friends, boyfriends who just got out of jail,
drinking alcohol, staying out all night with people you don't know,
don't fret the small things, and don't be soooo strict that they
want to run away from home because they can't stand their over bearing
mother at home.
You are the adult, you ahve to think and act like one at all times.
Don't withhold neccesary dental care from your child because mommy is
mad and stamping her feet, you sound like a fool.
Good luck with your kids, and I hope they can tolerate you
not the other way around.[/quote]

So, that's what parenting is about? Pleasing the kids? Geez, I had no idea, see, I thought I was supposed to set rules, limits, etc, and they were supposed to follow. I had no idea parenting was about them tolerating me!
Hmmm...say, do YOU smoke? Oh, of course, smoking isn't "life threatening"

Oh, and I don't "withold necessary dental care" I said if ds doesn't brush his teeth, I'm certainly not making his dental care a priority/ I mean, this kid simply refuses to brush at all---not just skip a few times. Then he gets cavities, and I'm sounding like a fool? Sure, let them smoke, rot out their teeth, pay out the nose for medical/dental care so they can ignore their own part in their health care-----and hope they tolerate me? Oh, where did I go wrong? I thought I set the rules, and yes, I did brush my teeth as a kid! But then, I wasn't raised with the Honey Boo Boo crowd!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 01-25-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM

^ so set some rules and limits! Threatening to take away her insurance two years from now is pointless!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM

556 posts, read 798,735 times
Don't bother even trying to get through. The ops goal in life is to make those kids lives sad and miserable. They'll never be good enough or grateful enough for her. I'm so glad they only have 2 years left of their sentence.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see the point in not insuring her. Will the premiums cost more if she smokes? If so, when she turns 18, have her pay the difference. Not paying for insurance at all is pointless. Any health effects she has will happen long down the road, long after she's off your insurance.
Wow, is this thread an eye-opener!

Are you perhaps on Medicaid, or some other govt funded insurance? Yes, the premiums would cost less if we dropped her. We currently pay about $800/month to insure a family of four---that's for medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs. See, you PAY for insurance, at least we do! And, hmmm....how to explain, it costs more to add dependents. Right now, there isn't a higher premium for smokers, but they are looking to do that in the near future. Regardless, I'm NOT paying extra to insure someone so they can smoke and I'm stuck with the medical bills! Let her get a job and insurance and pay for it herself! Smoking is a choice, and the health effects are well-known. They aren't always "long down the road", either.

I know 3 people who are chain smokers and have had heart attacks and strokes. Yet they continue to smoke. I get to pay their medical bills through my taxes, and get to pay for my own insurance, too!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
I'm sorry to see that despite years of posting, and multiple suggestions that your family needs counseling far more than internet advice, nothing has changed. I can only surmise that your children will be as happy to leave you at 18, as you will be to see them gone.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM

556 posts, read 798,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Are you perhaps on Medicaid, or some other govt funded insurance? Yes, the premiums would cost less if we dropped her. We currently pay about $800/month to insure a family of four---that's for medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs. See, you PAY for insurance, at least we do! And, hmmm....how to explain, it costs more to add dependents. Right now, there isn't a higher premium for smokers, but they are looking to do that in the near future. Regardless, I'm NOT paying extra to insure someone so they can smoke and I'm stuck with the medical bills! Let her get a job and insurance and pay for it herself! Smoking is a choice, and the health effects are well-known. They aren't always "long down the road", either.

I know 3 people who are chain smokers and have had heart attacks and strokes. Yet they continue to smoke. I get to pay their medical bills through my taxes, and get to pay for my own insurance, too!
See. Shes constantly bitter over the cost of the kids basic needs. I recall something about a cheap shirt. She'd probably drop their insurance for eating chips and drinking Pepsi if there was no smoking.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Are you perhaps on Medicaid, or some other govt funded insurance? Yes, the premiums would cost less if we dropped her.
We currently pay about $800/month to insure a family of four---that's for medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs. See, you PAY for insurance, at least we do! And, hmmm....how to explain, it costs more to add dependents. Right now, there isn't a higher premium for smokers, but they are looking to do that in the near future. Regardless, I'm NOT paying extra to insure someone so they can smoke and I'm stuck with the medical bills! Let her get a job and insurance and pay for it herself! Smoking is a choice, and the health effects are well-known. They aren't always "long down the road", either.

That's not what I asked. Would HER premium cost more if she smokes? And how often does insurance ask? My insurance carrier, provided through my employer, hasn't ever asked if any of us smokes. So, you see, my question was completely valid, and in no way deserving of your snark and baseless assumptions. Also, IME once you add on one dependent, you might as well add on 2 or 3 because the cost is the same. So, you see, it might not save you a single dime to drop her, yet she'd be SOL if she got sick or hurt. She might even have to go on medicaid.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm sorry to see that despite years of posting, and multiple suggestions that your family needs counseling far more than internet advice, nothing has changed. I can only surmise that your children will be as happy to leave you at 18, as you will be to see them gone.
Oh, yes counseling, to tell my kids they are in charge and I have to fund their existence, however they wish? Ok, let them smoke, I just said I would NOT insure her! Guess you're a smoker who thinks the world owes you medical care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting