Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times

Advertisements

Your child has a bad cold and feels awful? Don’t bother with those cold meds. - The Washington Post

I usually try to give something for fever even though I've been told before not to bother. Do you bother with cold meds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,774,050 times
I havent had to so far, kiddo is 2 and has not been sick yet.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,789,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I havent had to so far, kiddo is 2 and has not been sick yet.
There isn't much you can do for a 2 year old anyway.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,774,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
There isn't much you can do for a 2 year old anyway.
*shrug* was just answering the OP's question.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,949,945 times
I give cold medicine to my kids when they're sick. I am certainly more comfortable with cold medicine when I'm sick, why wouldn't they be?

Doctors don't always know everything. My daughter had surgery when she was 3 months old and the surgeon told us not to give her any pain medicine, even tylenol, because "infants can't feel pain at that age." But the whole reason we knew she had a problem and needed surgery was because she was spending 8 to ten hours a day screaming in pain, so she was definitely able to feel pain.

Just because a child can't tell you exactly how the cold medicine makes them feel better doesn't mean it doesn't do anything for them.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,251,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Your child has a bad cold and feels awful? Don’t bother with those cold meds. - The Washington Post

I usually try to give something for fever even though I've been told before not to bother. Do you bother with cold meds?
When my kids were preschoolers, they changed the "safe" age range for cold meds from 2 years to 6 years. As far as I know it hasn't changed back. When it was changed, I stopped giving it to them. I never started again after they turned 6.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Never -- and so far they've all survived just fine. I give them honey however. I was raised to believe "fever is your friend" because viruses don't replicate at the higher temperatures, so I bundle them up to help the body's natural response. There are no cures for the common cold, so I don't see any point in pouring a bunch of chemicals into them.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,239,763 times
I was actually just online researching this. My 3 year old has come down with some really bad cold virus - he's had a bunch of colds before but all pretty mild and nothing that required meds aside from saline nasal rinse and fluids. This time however he's got horrific congestion and a really bad cough - it's been waking him up for the last 3 nights now and he gags on it to the point of throwing up. Was really bad last night, during the day seemed to get better and more productive, but as soon as he lay down it started up again. Poor guy's exhausted and crying because he can't sleep. Humidifier, propping up, honey, Vicks on the feet and chest, all that standard stuff does squat. I had been giving him benadryl as it's the only thing approved for his age and at least helps with the congestion and mucus and helps him sleep, but I'm really starting to regret not picking up some robitussin or something to help with the night cough. I didn't buy any precisely because I've heard you're not supposed to give it before 6, but based on further reading now it seems that was just done to prevent overdose because some parents are stupid and don't read labels correctly, and that many doctors will recommend a kids' cough syrup for dry cough, just dosing carefully based on weight.

I suffer with bad dry coughs with almost every cold myself and know the horrible feeling and the relief that a dose or Robitussin brings for the night. I also know none of the standard home remedies help at all when I get that horrible tickly feeling, nothing helps aside from medicine. They should have more objective info about this out there, as it's not fair to put young kids through such suffering if you can relieve the symptoms with no harm...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times
Vicks on the feet? never heard of that.

Do have fond memories of my mother rubbing Vicks on my chest and then pinning a thick flannel cloth she set on low temp on the stove to my jammies. We used those same Vicks soak cloths for probably my entire childhood. I can smell it right now...

Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM

858 posts, read 1,813,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Never -- and so far they've all survived just fine. I give them honey however. I was raised to believe "fever is your friend" because viruses don't replicate at the higher temperatures, so I bundle them up to help the body's natural response. There are no cures for the common cold, so I don't see any point in pouring a bunch of chemicals into them.
^This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting