Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,834,676 times

Advertisements

Just tell the brat you're being paid to take care of the pets, not him, and to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,595,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Pet sitting normally involves stopping by the home once or twice a day (depending on the pet) and feeding/watering/possibly walking and/or letting the pet outside, maybe scooping a litter box, giving a little attention and then you go. I'm baffled as to why you would have to be around this child for any real length of time if at all. Who is watching this kid? Can you plan your pet sitting visits for times that he is not around?

It seems as though you could find some way of keeping your time with this kid to a minimum. I'd suggest that you do it.
Yeah, I'm confused about that too. If the kid is there then there must be some adult watching him. So why can't they take care of the pets? And why would you be using the computer a this house if you are just taking care of pets? Why not just stop by and then leave. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
A couple things to think about: most people who act like this have very low self-esteem, thus they are trying to make themselves feel better by acting smarter than everyone else. Underneath, they feel inadequate. Also, most humans want to be liked, and this poor kid does not know how to make people like him. He probably is rejected by everyone. Try being super nice to him, even if he's a pain. He may act better as a result. Finally, if you can't see or do this, then just walk the dogs and call it a day.
Sometimes this is the case and it is human nature to want to "bring him down to earth", whereas the exact opposite is what he actually needs most - build up his self-esteem, tell him he is doing good at something, point out when he is right.

Also I am not very tolerant of misinformation. So far as the computer tabs thing, I would say "How do you know that?" "Where did you hear this information?" "Show me on the internet where it says that!"

And actually too many tabs open at once could be a problem with older computers - might slow things down or cause problems. But not with newer computers which have tons of speed and memory. And depends on what those tabs are for. If just "shopping information" sites, that is not a big drain on the computer. But if it is a kid and he has 6 tabs of video games open, that could be a problem...

Bottom line: The computer is working fine with 6 shopping tabs open, so what is the problem? It is working ok!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,804,668 times
Default Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I have to pet sit for a relative for a week. During that entire week I will be around their 9 y/o grandson who is a little know-it-all. I absolutely cannot stand his attitude. He acts like he knows everything, gets mad when people don't listen or tell him otherwise, and the worst is that he often talks condescendingly to adults. I'd like to strangle him, but I know that's wrong.

He even acts this way at school with his teachers and some of them would like to strangle him (I know someone who works at his school). His classmates don't particularly like him because of his attitude and they know he's a know-it-all and doesn't listen. He doesn't have any friends and his attitude has caused him to be somewhat alienated from the other kids. The only kids who ever show up for his birthday parties are poor kids who take advantage of him and socially or mentally handicapped kids. I've tried to be nice and play with him, but I can't take it anymore. I've given him more than enough chances to behave himself and he just can't do it. I feel bad but I wish he'd go away and leave me alone.

Can someone please tell me how I should handle his attitude/behavior? I cannot stand being treated like that by anyone. I feel like he treats me like a dog or something. I certainly cannot punish him in someone else's home and I need to be there to care for the animals. When I originally agreed to pet sit back in March, then again in June, his behavior was not this bad. It's gotten increasingly worse since April.

I think the bulk of our problem surrounds the computer. He thinks he knows everything about computers. One day I had around six browser tabs open to different websites to do some comparison shopping. So the kid comes in and gets all upset and indignant because I had six tabs open and he acted like I was crazy and shouldn't have six of them open. He was acting as if I had just spilt a beverage all over the computer, I couldn't believe him. It's not so much that he thinks he knows everything that is annoying, it's his attitude that's the problem. At one point I just flat out told him that he is a child and that he doesn't know as much about computers as he thinks he does. I told him that I took and aced computer classes in high school and we learned to do things that he won't learn for at least three more years and some stuff he'll never learn because it doesn't exist for the average user anymore (like DOS and making batch files). He wouldn't listen to me and continued telling me how I can't have all those tabs open. Sadly, the kid has been a know-it-all from the womb, so I doubt he'll outgrow that anytime soon.

I just have no idea how to handle him. I could ignore him, but he makes me so mad that it's hard holding all that anger inside. Plus, I totally resent having to always end up angry because of what he says. There's no way to avoid being around him and his parents think it's my responsibilty to make him listen and behave when he's around me.

Maybe he DOES know more than you about computers? Just because he's a child doesn't mean he could not be more knowledgable than you are. How old are you by the way that you're getting angry at a child? Now I understand disrespectful snot nosed children but come on you're arguing with a 9 year old? You're worse than my friends who I might have to knock out if they put one more hand on my daughter but I digress; start asking him questions and keep asking him that frustrating word, "Why?" He will soon leave you alone, oh and just leave him alone. If he starts being disrespectful you don't have to listen to him, and wait a tick, why are you pet sitting while this 9 year old is there? Is he there alone or is his mom or dad with him? You pet sitting him too?? But just do your job, don't listen to him, completely ignore him and go home after you take care of the pet. Go get some earphones and tune his butt out smh. I hope you're in your teens or twenties for behaving like this.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,963,132 times
I'm wondering why the 9 year old isn't taking care of the pets. My son took care of two cats, 4 gerbils, and two puppies at that age. Where is his mom?? You remind me of another poster from a year or so ago that complained about a child bothering him while he was on his grandparents computer. Relax--he is just a child, are you an adult? If so, be kind to him, then ignore him.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:01 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
How old are you, OP? A young adult?

You seem to be in some kind of competition with him. He tells you what he knows. You tell him what you know. "Oh, yeah? Well mine's bigger! and I know more about computers than you do!"

Stop that. He's a kid. This is a good lesson in maturity for YOU. Do what you need to do and don't engage him. If he's so annoying you can't stand to be around him, don't go over there because right now you're just escalating his behavior with your own behavior.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,834,676 times
I say just tell him, "go away, kid, you bother me."

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
I suspect this kid is somewhere in the range of average to bright - and his parents have made him out to be some genius and that is all they praise and love him for. He feels he must constantly put on a show and has become a little bore.

There isn't much you can do about him since it's not as though you're close to him or in a position to change anything for him. So I agree with others -- just ignore him. Or at least ignore him when he's acting like a pretentious bore but pay attention to him when he acts like a normal kid. You can help him that way if he's close enough to you.

You can always tell him you have your own way of doing things and don't want his advice.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,427,703 times
My stock answer, "Go play in the street.". Or go watch "Sesame Street". Ignore.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I think the bulk of our problem surrounds the computer. He thinks he knows everything about computers. One day I had around six browser tabs open to different websites to do some comparison shopping. So the kid comes in and gets all upset and indignant because I had six tabs open and he acted like I was crazy and shouldn't have six of them open. He was acting as if I had just spilt a beverage all over the computer, I couldn't believe him. It's not so much that he thinks he knows everything that is annoying, it's his attitude that's the problem. At one point I just flat out told him that he is a child and that he doesn't know as much about computers as he thinks he does. I told him that I took and aced computer classes in high school and we learned to do things that he won't learn for at least three more years and some stuff he'll never learn because it doesn't exist for the average user anymore (like DOS and making batch files). He wouldn't listen to me and continued telling me how I can't have all those tabs open. Sadly, the kid has been a know-it-all from the womb, so I doubt he'll outgrow that anytime soon.

I just have no idea how to handle him. I could ignore him, but he makes me so mad that it's hard holding all that anger inside. Plus, I totally resent having to always end up angry because of what he says. There's no way to avoid being around him and his parents think it's my responsibilty to make him listen and behave when he's around me.
Don't get on the level of a 9 year old.

You could tell him that since the software programsmers allow there to be 6 tabs open, that's what they want people do to and he can go tell thim if he thinks they're wrong and until they reprogram the softwared, you'll use it as you choose.

It doesn't sound like this kid is all that smart -- he's just being a brat and as an adult you shouldn't even argue with him about something idiotic he's come up with about too many tabs opened. Yes you can have 6 tabs open. No reason not to -- but don't try to argue with a child -- that just puts you on a child's level when you do.

It is a little odd that the kid wouldn't be capable of taking care of the pets -- he may have other problems or actually be on the slow side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting