Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Yes, I realize that, which is why I said it.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
It was confirmed by the Newtown CT police that Nancy Lanza the mother of Killer Adam Lanza use to take her son shooting and allowed him access to her guns. I personally think that is bad parenting when you know a child has a mental disorder.

Let's stick to the topic, please, and not go off on a tangent about gun control, responsible gun ownership, etc. -- those topics properly belong in P&OC.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 AM

71 posts, read 79,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, I realize that, which is why I said it.
i re-read it sorry. slap to me

Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
First let us not blame the victim.

Secondly, let us not speculate on another person's mental and medical disorders unless we are the attending physicians.

Thirdly, let us not get so wrapped up in third hand grief that we lose sight of the tragic loss of those families and the terrors that those sweet babies went through.

Let them grieve.

If you have ever been through personal tragedy, you know why I say 1,2, and 3. If you haven't, I appreciate your sincere emotion but ask that you let the facts come out.

My TV quit working again today and I am just as glad not to listen to those chattering know nothings. And they call it news.
Why NOT speculate on someone else's mental and medical disorder? Everyone has their own way of grieving, this speculating is just one of the many forms. It's called "trying to find the answer ...WHY...to a horrible tragedy. Do you really think that the speculators have lost sight of the tragic loss of the families and the terror that those poor children and adults went through? I don't think so.

There is no harm in speculation. Because of this tragedy, I would "speculate" that there are many, many people out there who are Googling various mental health conditions and disorders, in an attempt to make sense of this tragedy. It's called evolution. Many will be wiser and more aware, because of this horrific event. Unfortunately, many will also become more paranoid and distrustful of those who seem "different" to them. Again....it's simply evolution, but thanks for your concern.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Why should we not blame the victim?

Did the mother pick up the gun and shoot herself in the face while sleeping and then kill 20+ other people? No

Do we know whether or not the guns were in a gun cabinet, locked? No

Do we know if the one and only one who did the shooting may have found the keys and unlocked the cabinet if in said cabinet? No

Do we know if he busted the lock of the cabinet or busted the cabinet to get to the guns? No

Just saying.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I think labeling a person, and saying "aha, that's why they did it" makes it easier for some people to assauge their own fears, either for the personal safety of their own children, or for the actions of those they know with emotional or personality issues.

The bottom line is we don't know the facts, and I think attaching labels at this moment in time is more dangerous than anything. I think a general discussion regarding mental health is always going to be positive, as long as it is factual.

Here is an interesting piece:

Adam Lanza: Adam Lanza Was A 'Quiet, Odd' Loner Living On The Fringes - Hartford Courant

Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM

71 posts, read 79,685 times
well this just in they had to evacuate the church in Newtown a bomb threat. they claim there are a lot of fake fb Adam lanza accounts and some of them are posting possible threats

Newtown church forced to evacuate after death threat - NYPOST.com

Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 AM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Those poor people. It's bad enough that they have to deal with such a horror. Now the kooks are coming out.

Prayers to them all.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have Asperger's, it's not a mental disorder, and I own guns.
Sorry, somehow I am not getting a warm-fuzzy.

I think the answer to the question is NO.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
well this just in they had to evacuate the church in Newtown a bomb threat. they claim there are a lot of fake fb Adam lanza accounts and some of them are posting possible threats

Newtown church forced to evacuate after death threat - NYPOST.com
Oh those poor people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting