Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times

Advertisements

am buying a few (2-3) gifts for a child I don't know much about. I think he's a bit developmentally delayed. Due to the type winter weather here (rainy,rainy,rainy and cold) he will be indoors for several months; although on nice days I hope he is taken outdoors.

Could parents or anyone in the know about children this age give me some suggestions?
I had thought to buy him a big wheel as his major gift but if he's unable to go out to ride it right away, then that's no fun. Maybe I'll just buy him one in the Spring for no particular reason; doesn't have to be Christmas to make a child happy-right?

Are Legos popular with this age? Too messy??

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM

119 posts, read 183,320 times
- Hot Wheels Wall Tracks race car set
- A spaceship tent
- Walky Talkies
- Legos
- Trucks

I assure you, get him any one of those things and he'll be happy. My 5 year old has and loves them all

Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
We have 3 1/2 yr old twin boys.... and they love Lego's (the larger size ones -- the really small ones are harder to put together) and any type of dump truck...garbage truck.\

Old 11-30-2012, 03:37 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Lego/ Duplo is great, also magnadoodle.
Hard to advise without knowing the extend and type of his delay, but mini, indoor trampolines are often suggested by therapists and give an opportunity for fun indoor excercise.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
am buying a few (2-3) gifts for a child I don't know much about. I think he's a bit developmentally delayed. Due to the type winter weather here (rainy,rainy,rainy and cold) he will be indoors for several months; although on nice days I hope he is taken outdoors.

Could parents or anyone in the know about children this age give me some suggestions?
I had thought to buy him a big wheel as his major gift but if he's unable to go out to ride it right away, then that's no fun. Maybe I'll just buy him one in the Spring for no particular reason; doesn't have to be Christmas to make a child happy-right?

Legos are always popular. My 3.5 year old loves them. However, the regular legos are bit difficult for him and he usually plays with them with his father. The leglo duplo sets are better for him to use by himself (they're bigger legos). Other things he likes are superhero anything - superman, spiderman, batman, captain america, hulk, thor. He likes action figures and loves anything Imaginext. Some favorite toys are: Imaginext Eagle castle, Imaginext batman cave and jail, Jake and the neverland Pirates ship and telescope, Imaginext big T-Rex that roars, Bruder firetruck and dumptruck, Geotrax train sets and trains, various helicopter toys.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post

First, what are his delays? That definitely will affect what kinds of gifts you want to give him. If he has fine motor problems, legos would not be a good gift, but duplos which are the larger version of legos might. K'nex might also work if he likes to build. If he has problems with physical movement, a big wheel might just be frustrating, but a scooter might work. If he has special interests, you may want to cater to that. Thomas the train dvds and/or play trains might be good. A train table would be a good larger gift if he is into trains. If he likes cars, the hotwheels cars might be a good gift.

You should ask his parents or caregivers what he likes.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
I'm going to put in another vote for Hot Wheels. The boys I know all loved them, and I'd think that whether you're talking about cognitive, gross motor, fine motor, or emotional delays they'd still be a good choice.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
thanks all. Sounds like the large Legos are going to be a definite.
I'll see if I can find out more but I doubt that I can. I had asked a friend to inquire of any needy family(s) in the area and one of the ones referred to me was this little boy. So I don't know the child at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You should ask his parents what he likes. He probably has something in particular that he really likes.

My daughter's buddy across the street was really into trains at that age. He still likes Thomas the train, but he's got an Angry Bird obsession now and takes the Angry Birds play sets (I think they're sold as a board game) everywhere he goes.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I'm going to put in another vote for Hot Wheels. The boys I know all loved them, and I'd think that whether you're talking about cognitive, gross motor, fine motor, or emotional delays they'd still be a good choice.
Maybe there is room in the basement or garage for him to ride the big wheel during the winter months. My kids even rode them outside on the shoveled driveway on warm winter days.

Duplos are always a hit, especially ones that can be used to make trains or vehicles or have cars or vehicles already made that go with the set.

A lot of children like Fisher Price Little People sets. They have SO MANY kinds, farm, zoo, circus, school, alphabet animals, even Santa & his sleigh, etc. My Early Childhood Special Education students loved the various sets. They can be used at multiple levels (ie. younger or more delayed students might play with them at a more basic level than a slightly older child) so he could continue to play with them for a couple of years.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting