Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 AM

17 posts, read 18,483 times

Advertisements

First, I know this is all stuff a doctor should be asked, and I did and do, you presumptuous jerk. I ALSO like to get opinions from all manner of people when making decisions.

Anyway, the basic question is this: what do you think of my kid's public pre-school administrators suggesting (quite strongly) that we get him started on standard ADHD medication (stimulants), as well as implementing some poorly defined, questionable status (a 504?) that should afford him opportunity for in-class assistance, given his age of 4 and his school career having not actually started yet?

Now, for context, I have ADD. They call it something else now (ADHD-PI?), but that seems like a way for medical practitioners to avoid social consequences for their recommendations. Anyway, I have it, so I can understand what he is going through, somewhat.

I was on Ritalin and Ritalin time-release for a couple of grades (3rd-4th) and distinctly remember the bizarre side-effects it caused, the change in my personality that adults noted, and also the change in treatment by my teacher (I had the same one for three years, unfortunately). I did not like it and chose the "coping mechanisms" route, much to my detriment and benefit, depending on what you are grading.

Now, I approach anything like this with caution and perspective. I don't rail against vaccinations, but question the need for a Chicken Pox vaccination. I'm not religious, but distrust those that wish to abolish it. I hesitate to put my child on a stimulant, but I want my child to have every opportunity to just fit in, so he can actually grow up without baggage or a chip on his shoulder.

So, since I'm torn between two rather extreme, unapologetic camps, so opposed that they annihilate on contact, I was hoping to get some bad advice, anecdotal evidence, and flat-out personal insults. I mean, I wanted the opinions of some strangers on the internet.

Thanks in advance for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,971,293 times
As ADD myself since I was 4, it might be a good idea to start him off with the medication first, and then at a later date move to the coping mechanisms part when he is better equipped mentally to handle them. At 4 he may not fully understand everything that goes into coping with it, but then again I cannot say what he is or isn't capable of. If you feel he can handle just coping with it, by all means go that route. Playing "Let's see what this drug does to him," is not fun and can really mess with his head so even if you go the medical route, try getting him off as soon as you feel he is ready.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 AM

Thanks for answering. I suppose 4 year olds being placed on stimulants just isn't as shocking as it was in the 90s.

The best part about the whole thing is that I've had two developmental psychologists give split opinions on treatment, while agreeing on his basic diagnosis. One says meds, the other says no, not at that age.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,508,339 times
Assuming that the doctor agrees with the school officials (my opinion is that they shouldn't be suggesting specific medication since they aren't doctors) and you choose to medicate, there are other options besides stimulants. My 6yr old takes guanfacine for his ADHD, the side effects are less scary (that's my opinion) but there are other classes of meds too.

My main advice would be to remember that you're in charge here. If you feel like your son is just immature and needs a year or two, they can't make you medicate him. ADHD is very genetic so if you wound up not needing medication chances may be that your son won't either. There are some great behavior therapy techniques that we use along with our son's medication that help as well.

Good luck, let us know what the doctors say.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Sorry I just missed your second post. Ask your doc about guanfacine or Intuniv as an alternative to stimulants. Our doc thinks that the little kids do better on it.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Yeah, we're still waiting on the appointment with his primary care. I'll ask about other medications. I knew there were others besides ritalin and adderall, but I assumed they were just different forms of the same kind of method (ADHD + stimulant = unexpected result). I suppose you could expect some advances in the 20 years since I was in his shoes.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Guanfacine is actually a blood pressure medication but it's now approved for ADHD and doctors have been using it "off label" for a decade or so. Side effects are sleepiness, especially when they first start taking it. It doesn't have any of the appetite suppression, growth stunting, or tics associated with stimulants.

Some kids though do great on stimulants, my kid didn't.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

448 posts, read 685,993 times
In my personal belief, I don't think kids that young could or even should be diagnosed with a "disorder". And I definitely don't think they should be on medication.

You should explain to us your sons behavior. WHY they think he's ADD?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
In my personal belief, I don't think kids that young could or even should be diagnosed with a "disorder". And I definitely don't think they should be on medication.

You should explain to us your sons behavior. WHY they think he's ADD?
I used to feel the same as you do until I actually had a child with ADHD.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,502 times
I have a child with ADHD and 4 should be too young for a good psychologist/psychiatrist to diagnose a child with this disorder. When we were worried about our son, we were told that even if he had symptoms that he would not be officially diagnosed until he was past the age of 7.
We were very appreciative of that. We tried meds and tried several but different see much of a difference in his behavior and most of the meds completely changed his personality and his eating habits. He has not been on medicine more than he has been on medicine and he is doing pretty well now. He was diagnosed just after age 7 and is now 12 and 1/2.
He has an amazing personality but just cannot stop and doesn't sleep much. He has been in gifted classes since 5th grade and has wonderful teachers that let him learn and do his work standing up (He is in our local public school) He is very creative and the funniest kid I know. I have had many a parent conferences and the teachers say great things about him (they also mention that he moves a lot, sings, interrupts, etc.) . This year I heard after only 6 weeks of school that they wished all of their kids had as great people skills as my son does. He has great conversations with them and is always respectful and they appreciate that.
Don't want to brag on my child, but wanted to let you know that sometimes they can do pretty well on no meds. I realize each child is different but always consider no meds first if you can. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting