Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,922,571 times

Advertisements

As for why not use such language - well, how about rude, vulgar, unpleasant, harsh, crass, and trashy behavior in general? I suspect most young adolescent or preadolescents who engage in this sort of language either sadly know no better, having heard it regularly at home, or are anxious to grow up, pull rank, etc. It may be a response to their own feelings of insecurity, which most kids of this age experience. It may be an effort to differentiate themselves from parents, teachers, authority in general.

But it's not a good response, even if it's understandable, so call them out, correct them, and provide alternatives to be used in times of stress. Stop the potty-mouthing, but find out why it's occurring, so you can address the real issues, if your child or a child close to you or under your supervision suddenly starts turning the air blue. Then provide alternatives, both in terms of language and other responses to the triggering behaviors or incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM

861 posts, read 1,458,060 times
If I heard my sixth grade child swearing, I would put of bar of soap in their mouth.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Why would you encourage your daughter to hang around people like that. I would never allow it.
After having raised 5 children to adulthood, I realize that who they are friends with matters so much. You may want to rethink who she hangs out with.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,824,376 times
No, but 8th graders do! So annoying!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,824,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
If I heard my sixth grade child swearing, I would put of bar of soap in their mouth.
That is WAY too harsh of a punishment! Just ignore it, kids are looking for a reaction.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,144,954 times
When I was in fifth grade, cursing (using the usual four- and five-letter words), as well as jokes of a sexually graphic nature, became exceedingly popular. On the bus ride home, some kids noticed I did not use such language, and teased me for it. This was 15 years ago.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,363,622 times
I remember when I was in second grade and went in the sixth grade girls' restroom and saw the word "B**ch" written in the stall. I went home and asked, "What does B**ch mean?" and got a slap on the mouth for my trouble.

Swearing is part of growing up for boys (and girls) - it starts out as curiosity and then it's just used as testing the boundaries for shock value. When I was in sixth grade, the boys in my class discovered the words "gay" and "f*gg*t", which they used way more than the more common ones (and I doubt if they fully knew what it meant).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-25-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Sometimes parents need to clean the filth out of the kids mouths. It is a task that the kids do not like, not to mention a waste of good soap. Still, a bar of soap can help get that filthy mouth clean again.

Personally I do not think that it has to be a part of growing up. Parents need to be parents and teach kids that some things are better left alone. Cursing adds nothing to a converastion and the earlier kids learn that the better off they will be. Nothing wrong with being refined and above petty language.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,982,774 times
When I was in 6th grade I slipped up and cursed a couple of times but a lot of guys and girls included did curse quite a bit but always out of adult sight. Now that I'm older I hate hearing kids curse and use profanity in the presence of adults even if they're teenagers it just looks so tacky and low class. I never ever ever ever cursed at home or around adults though it was always around friends. I'm almost 22 and to this day I still won't curse around my parents, older adults, and especially children. Keep the f bombs and aholes for when you're around your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting