Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveYourself View Post
I am a 20 year old college student with a high IQ(1400 SAT1), and I have lived in Georgia since I was 5. The 15 years of my existence spent in this "illustrious" state have been wrought with horrendous experiences. I know everyone is like how can he say that he must live in a crappy part like Riverdale but the fact is I have lived in Gwinnett County the whole time. Supposedly Gwinnett County is the most bad ass part of Georgia to grow up in since the schools are said to be good, the people are supposedly nice, and the weather is said to be awesome. All three of those things are practically lies.

First off the school systems in Georgia are horrendous. All of my K-12 was spent in Georgia and I can say from thirteen years experience that Georgia has quite possibly the worst school system in all of the US. The teachers do not give a crap about anyone. All they care about is forcefeeding kids mental garbage so they score high on the Cogat and Gateway bs tests. The Cogat doesn't even count for anything other than getting the school funding! The schools also are terrible at preventing rampant drug use. I ended up using drugs because of the Georgia schools lack of education or prevention on the subject. All drugs are readily available for high school aged kids around Gwinnett because there is not a damned thing to do if you are under 21. So all the high schoolers just buy pot, pills, and whatever alcohol they can muster in misguided attempts to have fun.

Secondly, the people here have the lowest IQs in all of the world. They are retarded and they constantly talk about how lovey dovey Georgia is while there kid stumbles drunkenly upstairs to go pass out from last nights binge drinking session. People do not realize what is really going on yet and by the time they do it's too late for their kids.

Thirdly, the weather is *******s. It's always either too cold or too hot.
Oh and I also forgot to talk about how ****ty the police force is but I really don't think another reason is needed to keep people from moving to this hell hole. Literally if you come here you will be sucked in and can never leave.
mod cut - inappropriate
Let me use this post to advise every reader from every state. This sounds so much like "The Lost Children of Rockdale County" circa 1997. Wherever you end up living, continue placing value on education with your kids, but you must teach them constantly how to slip out of "the rat race" and enjoy the simplest pleasures of life. Place low value on high income (remember, not what you say, but what you do). Give a lot of "face time" to your kids. Consider trying to get by in your household with a one-earner income, until your children are past eighteen. This teaches the importance of inter-personal relationships above having "stuff" and electronic entertainment while each member of the family lives within their own cubicle.

And don't be afraid to teach a life of thanksgiving and the worship of God within the walls of your home. And within a community of like-believers at church.

Note how affluently (and academically) you can raise a child, and they still feel desperately empty!!

This can happen to YOUR children! If interested in the in-depth story of the Frontline documentary, here is a link:
frontline: the lost children of rockdale county

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-09-2007 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:53 PM

127 posts, read 747,979 times
Well, this is random. Am I missing something? People come here for info regarding where to move, not to be lectured about God and raising their children. The person you quoted does not sound stable Moderator cut: orphaned Most people who use drugs do not do so, because the school didn't offer a class on, "Just say no". The reasons go far deeper than that. As for the school system being lousy, I am not in a position to speak to that. I understand that young people can be aimless, bored and drift. But there are many solutions to that one. I think having access to sports, art, culture, community service, theatre etc can help. In my experience young people involved in high school sports, clubs etc are less likely to get in trouble. However, religion is a personal choice, and it is not the answer to all of our problems. Many a religious person has strayed.

Also, many women enjoy working outside the home for personal fulfillment. You are assuming that all of the children who get in trouble have working moms. Are you saying that Stay at home mom's never end up with drug addicted children or children who end up in jail. I just don't buy it. FWIW, I work part-time. The best of both worlds for ME.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-09-2007 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM

This original post by the young person was a "save yourself" the trouble of moving to Georgia.

My point is this can happen, and does, in fact, happen not "randomly", but with far too much frequency in the lives of our children. Case in point was "The Lost Children of Rockdale County". Did you see the documentary?

You make some valid points on solutions, but these do not in any way invalidate mine.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChooch View Post
Well, this is random. Am I missing something? People come here for info regarding where to move, not to be lectured about God and raising their children.

But there are many solutions to that one. I think having access to sports, art, culture, community service, theatre etc can help. In my experience young people involved in high school sports, clubs etc are less likely to get in trouble. However, religion is a personal choice, and it is not the answer to all of our problems. Many a religious person has strayed.

Also, many women enjoy working outside the home for personal fulfillment. You are assuming that all of the children who get in trouble have working moms. Are you saying that Stay at home mom's never end up with drug addicted children or children who end up in jail. I just don't buy it. FWIW, I work part-time. The best of both worlds for ME.
First of all, you did miss the whole reason I posted; it was in response to others being warned not to move to Georgia.

Second of all, I was not trying to lecture on religion. I suggested to parents to "not be afraid" to promote the worship of God (over the knee-jerk protests of people outside your home). Furthermore, clubs and culture are not the solution to all of our problems, either; you can also call them preoccupations, distractions, developmental enhancements, personal growth tools.......whatever you want to call them. This young person evidently had "access" to all of these, and still felt empty.

Third of all, you make the assumption when I speak of one-earner household, I am speaking of all women staying at home. You also showed a knee-jerk reaction to this, because I am not arguing for a return to the 1950s. I am saying "consider having a one-earner income"(including possibly the FATHER staying at home) to give your children at least equal parental time to some of the potentially negative peer time they receive for 8+ hours a day. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO HELP THE CHILD TO DEVELOP WITHOUT SO MUCH IMBALANCED EMPHASIS ON THE MATERIAL AND THE ACADEMIC!

Remember, sometimes when you try to paint someone as close-minded, you reveal your own deeply-hidden or closely-held dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting