Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

17,485 posts, read 16,664,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
If someone wants to be a "professional mommy" then good for them. I'm tired of this contempt for motherhood. That's why kids are growing up crazy and shallow, and women are spending their lives miserable. It's hard to enjoy the beauty of children and being a mother when everything around you is telling you that you are an idiot with no potential should you choose to be all about your family for a period in your life.

Get your calling cards, and put whatever you want on them. If someone wants to laugh, good. They probably needed a chuckle with their miserable self.
I can tell you that there is no contempt for mothers from this SAHM (of over 10 years). Sorry if I gave you that impression! Being a mom is hard work but I, personally, don't consider motherhood to be a "Professional" position nor do I approach parenting that way, but maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know...

Did you hand out "single and available" cards to guys you just met at the supermarket? JK - I know you didn't do that.
When I was "single and available" if a guy asked me for my phone number I always gave him my business card. Maybe it was a yuppie thing? All of my friends did the same thing.

I've had cards with my contact info on them for years, as have my friends. None of us went the "Mommy Extraordinaire" route but we all made them pretty and/or funny. Mine has a cartoon a friend drew for me. They save a lot of time.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-25-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,407,295 times
I'm orginally from Minnesota - and I've noticed that there is a trend on the threads in the Minnesota forum - newcomers reporting that while Minnesotans are very friendly , they (the newcomer) is having areally hard time meeing people and making friends because people there tend to hang out with their same group of friends that they always have and don't see the value (?) in meeting new people.

I've realized that I'm kinda that way - even though I've moved alot in the military at some point - I've developed a group of friends that we always seem to cross paths with and I just haven't made that many (any truthfully) new friends in a long, long time... So even though I have a fair amount of friends and we get together pretty regular, my friends are all my age and their kids are either grown or they never had any....

I'm just getting worried that my daughter isn't getting the social outlets she needs or deserves because of the above if that makes sense...

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post

I'm just getting worried that my daughter isn't getting the social outlets she needs or deserves because of the above if that makes sense...
Then get the cards and pass them out as you meet people you and your daughter would like to hang out with. There's nothing wrong with saying "Here's my card. My number and email address is on it." I've found people to be very appreciative and many say, "Thanks. Why didn't I think of that?"

I see no difference between someone handing out a business card and a mother handing out one of these. Your need to give out contact info is no less legitimate than the person who is doing it for job reasons.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM

17,485 posts, read 16,664,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When I was "single and available" if a guy asked me for my phone number I always gave him my business card. Maybe it was a yuppie thing? All of my friends did the same thing.

I've had cards with my contact info on them for years, as have my friends. None of us went the "Mommy Exrraordinaire" route but we all made them pretty and/or funny. Mine has a cartoon a friend drew for me. They save a lot of time.
Yes, we did that, too. Business cards are one thing, handing out "For a HOT date call: XXX-XXX-XXXX" is quite another, of course.

I'm not saying that a Mommy Card would be that bad, I just think that a regular contact card would be better.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Business cards are one thing, handing out "For a HOT date call: XXX-XXX-XXXX" is quite another, of course.
Lol, I actually had a friend who had "For A Good Time Call: xxx-xxx-xxxx" printed on her cards. She was a 15 on the 1-10 scale. She told me she could tell a lot about a guy by the look on his face when she handed him the card.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,798,172 times
Do it as a pad of paper. Top is "Name" then "Mom of... little faces w/ kids names under"

Then space for writing a note.

Then at bottom your address/phone/email/whatever contact info you want to include.

So it doesn't look like a CARD but instead of pad of paper you carry in purse.
This is great for teacher notes, too. Just google "Mom notepads".

Here's one: http://www.motheringmoms.com/store/f..._notepads.html

Or: http://www.acc123.com/personalized-s...note-pads.html

Last edited by snuffybear; 09-25-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,231,125 times
It sounds like a great idea.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times
When my kids were little I had cards printed up with their names in a fun script and a balloon or something cute on it and we used them as gift cards for birthday parties. I had a bunch left over and took them to the printer to have my name and phone or e mail printed on the other side. These were a big hit as they were a combination of my name, my kids names and how to contact us. I always included one when I sent my kids on a play date and I tried to include a snack for the kids to enjoy. i figured if a Mom was gracious enough to take my kid for an afternoon, I should at least provide a snack. If that is a Mom Card then I guess I had them as far back as 30 years ago.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,131,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm orginally from Minnesota - and I've noticed that there is a trend on the threads in the Minnesota forum - newcomers reporting that while Minnesotans are very friendly , they (the newcomer) is having areally hard time meeing people and making friends because people there tend to hang out with their same group of friends that they always have and don't see the value (?) in meeting new people.

I've realized that I'm kinda that way - even though I've moved alot in the military at some point - I've developed a group of friends that we always seem to cross paths with and I just haven't made that many (any truthfully) new friends in a long, long time... So even though I have a fair amount of friends and we get together pretty regular, my friends are all my age and their kids are either grown or they never had any....

Look around sometimes at a class or at the park. The Mom that's there all alone might appreciate making small talk. I have very few friends here and I hate that so many people are like "the hell with you, I've got my friends!!". Not that you are doing this. But if you are with a group you probably don't even notice that someone is there and lonely.

I like the idea of cards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting