Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You never answered the question what is the line? When do you say its okay for teenagers to start having sex? Is it 13?14? 16? And what makes this distinction?
That depends on a lot of things, and it also begs the question of what you mean by "okay". Lots of things that may be tolerated by society may not be tolerated in a particular person's house, and vice versa.

If you are asking what the age of consent should be legally, I do not see any good reason to have a higher age than 13 or 14 (as is the case in Canada, Spain, Germany, etc.)

If you are asking whether parents ought to permit or encourage sexual activity at a certain age, that ought to be up to the parents. Although there are legal complications there. A fellow was charged here in Michigan as a party to statutory rape a few years back because he gave his 15-year-old daughter condoms. It's important for everyone involved to stay within the law, obviously. But even within the law, everyone is going to have a slightly different view of what's appropriate.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I appreciate your enlightened view, but that is not the view of the original piece, which makes the indirect but obvious point that boys are predators and girls are prey. That's what makes it so contemptible.
The sad reality is that when a pregnancy happens its the girl that bears the brunt of consequences.
If she carries the baby to term her body is forever changed.
She is the one that shows the evidence of imagined sins
She is the one that will have to make a hard choice.
a. Quit school
b. Finish school but endure the stares and the unheard comments about
about her morals.
She must face her family everyday.
No way is this easy
The Boy: He gets a girl pregnant:
His parents find out and his mothers automatically assumes the girl is a ****
The father is more concerned about having to pay their end of the medical bills
His parents demand a paternity test
He finishes school with very few hardships.
Hell he dumps her and goes on with his life.
These are the realities I forsee

Old 10-08-2007, 11:00 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The sad reality is that when a pregnancy happens its the girl that bears the brunt of consequences.
If she carries the baby to term her body is forever changed.
She is the one that shows the evidence of imagined sins
She is the one that will have to make a hard choice.
a. Quit school
b. Finish school but endure the stares and the unheard comments about
about her morals.
She must face her family everyday.
I suspect we agree more than we disagree. The big difference is, I don't give a sop to the stupid moral codes you're talking about. I don't want to reinforce that view of life, and the cited piece does nothing but reinforce it.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Default Geeesh...

The OP was a joke about how protective FATHERS feel about their DAUGHTERS dating.....it was never meant to be taken seriously.

My husband found out we were having a Granddaughter and said "That's it!!"" I'm buying more guns and enrolling her in Karate Classes."

Will he or my son commit violence? NO!! Not unless someone hurts this girl.

There is nothing sexist about a father wanting to protect his daughter, it's his job!!

This is NOT about teenage pregnacies.....that's a different subject.

It has NOTHING to do with Pres Bush (that comment was just plain asinine.)

Lighten up!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
That depends on a lot of things, and it also begs the question of what you mean by "okay". Lots of things that may be tolerated by society may not be tolerated in a particular person's house, and vice versa.

If you are asking what the age of consent should be legally, I do not see any good reason to have a higher age than 13 or 14 (as is the case in Canada, Spain, Germany, etc.)

If you are asking whether parents ought to permit or encourage sexual activity at a certain age, that ought to be up to the parents. Although there are legal complications there. A fellow was charged here in Michigan as a party to statutory rape a few years back because he gave his 15-year-old daughter condoms. It's important for everyone involved to stay within the law, obviously. But even within the law, everyone is going to have a slightly different view of what's appropriate.
13 or 14? ouch they are children. Children can not possibly be allowed to make adult decisions... When allowed they tend to fail with life long consequences attached.
Your home/household is yours to govern as you see fit. I dont judge your decisions. They just wouldn't work for me. Today I will agree to disagree with you.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
I suspect we agree more than we disagree. The big difference is, I don't give a sop to the stupid moral codes you're talking about. I don't want to reinforce that view of life, and the cited piece does nothing but reinforce it.
Moderator cut: orphaned Now you are attacking a set of moral codes that a good majority of people live by. I say that these are indeed attacks on anyone with views contrary to yours.

What was a light hearted post has been turned foul due to your attacks on people that might have a different oppinion than yours.

My father already tole me that he will be over on friday and saturday nights to clean his guns during the "dating years" is he serious? lol not at all. Am I going to be protective of my daughter and teach her how to act, and just to be sure I dont gain a 9lb 7oz financial debt, talk with her date? damn right I will.

My duty as a father is to protect, and teach my child to be a good person. one that follows a set of Morals (ohh my, i said it MORALS) to abstain untill said child is financialy and mentaly ready to support a child. As it sits now, With me having a Daughter. If she gets pregnant (yes it does take two to tango) I will be financialy responsable for her child, where her babys father gets off free and clear.

Now leave this thread, and let it sit as a light hearted joke. If you want to talk politics go to the politics thread, this is not the place for this type of discussion.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-09-2007 at 03:01 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 AM

144 posts, read 824,702 times
Quote:
An even better idea: teach them about contraception, and about non-coital ways to get one's jollies.
Better yet...let's teach them that contracpetion isn't 100% and you could still get knocked up even using contraception...so if you dont' want your teen getting knocked up...teach them not to have sex before they are ready to be parents.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
Not only knocked up but what about STD's including AIDS. I lost my brother to this disease and I sure don't want my kids getting it.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 AM

144 posts, read 824,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Not only knocked up but what about STD's including AIDS. I lost my brother to this disease and I sure don't want my kids getting it.
YES! You're right and thank you for that reminder! I'm sorry about the loss of your brother.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
IT WAS A HUMOROUS POST
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.