Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times

Advertisements

Moderator Cut

Finally a pocket knife! This means based on your own "sources" the real "weapons" are kitchen knives. We should all go out and remove kitchen knives from our homes. Thanks for this break through.

So lets see. Moderator Cut. You posted a bunch of links about people being stabbed with KITCHEN KNIVES (are you going to remove them all from your home now?). And keep moving the goal posts. Got it.

BTW. Google "pocket knife saved life" and you get 4 million plus hits. Saved the life of Aron Ralston, and was made into a movie. Years ago I saw the captain of a vessel I worked on save the life of an undergrad who got caught in the bag line while the trawl was being deployed. So for every story of being stabbed with a pocket knife (as opposed to a kitchen knife) you can find ten of someone's life being saved.

So when you need a knife to save your life, or the life of your daughter, I won't say I told you so. Moderator Cut

Man with pocketknife saves girl from strangulation by seatbelt
Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune
Leander Boy Attacked By Mountain Lion

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Flaming and personal attacks

Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 AM

63 posts, read 63,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Moderator Cut

Finally a pocket knife! This means based on your own "sources" the real "weapons" are kitchen knives. We should all go out and remove kitchen knives from our homes. Thanks for this break through.

So lets see. Moderator Cut. You posted a bunch of links about people being stabbed with KITCHEN KNIVES (are you going to remove them all from your home now?). And keep moving the goal posts. Got it.

BTW. Google "pocket knife saved life" and you get 4 million plus hits. Saved the life of Aron Ralston, and was made into a movie. Years ago I saw the captain of a vessel I worked on save the life of an undergrad who got caught in the bag line while the trawl was being deployed. So for every story of being stabbed with a pocket knife (as opposed to a kitchen knife) you can find ten of someone's life being saved.

So when you need a knife to save your life, or the life of your daughter, I won't say I told you so. Moderator Cut

Man with pocketknife saves girl from strangulation by seatbelt
Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune
Leander Boy Attacked By Mountain Lion
So all knives don't stab, only kitchen knives. Pocket knives are incapable of puncturing human skin, only mountain lion skin. Gotcha!

I'll just have to hope I don't run into any mountain lions at the Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum because we will be like, TOTALLY unprepared.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Replaced quoted content with edited post

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykidsdad View Post
So all knives don't stab, only kitchen knives. Pocket knives are incapable of puncturing human skin, only mountain lion skin. Gotcha!

I'll just have to hope I don't run into any mountain lions at the Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum because we will be like, TOTALLY unprepared.
Moderator Cut.

Your premise is that pocket knives are weapons and therefore cannot be safely used by children. To support this you posted articles about KITCHEN KNIVES. That is a logical fallacy called moving the goal posts or at best a strawman.

Second, you ignored the majority of articles where children were saved from being killed due to seat belts and focused on a mountain lion story. Clearly you will never go hiking but it is entirely likely you might get in a car.

Fortunately, the majority of rational adults in this thread acknowledge the use and safety of proper use of tools for their children. Oddly, I suspect their kids are LESS likely to end up in "prison".

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Unecessary remark

Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykidsdad View Post
Also I can understand teaching kids to use tools or whatever but hopefully my kid will have a career that doesn't involve tools but rather a corner office and air conditioning.
My son has a corner office with air conditioning. He was also given his first knife so he could sit around and whittle and spit with his grandfathers when he was five. He can clean a fish, cut loose a tangled line, carve a pipe (or a kachina) Moderator Cut

Never stabbed anyone. Never took it out to threaten anyone. Never poked anyone in the eyeball. He carries one around as an adult sitting in his corner office with air conditioning. He's a handy guy to have around at the supermarket when the tabloids come in on Thursdays, tied up in a bundle.

I'll have to ask if he ever props his feet up on his desk to whittle and contemplate.

BTW: If you're actually on the Intrepid you'll see a several things one of those grandfathers helped develop and build. The whittlin' and spittin' took place after a hard day making sure our country had air (and space) superiority.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Unecessary remark

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,588,790 times
People who didn't own a pocketknife where I grew up were called "tourists" or a few other unflattering epithets. I have a great pocketknife that I have owned for about 30 years, the most used gadgets are the corkscrew, the scissors, and the screwdriver. We keep one in each of our cars too.

My son has a variety of pocketknives and utility tools, and my daughter has been eyeing one she wants.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Personal Attack

Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,058,553 times
Moderator Cut

I had a pocket knife as a child, needed it for camping and hiking with Girl Scouts. No, my parents didn't treat me differently because I was a girl or because we had money. They taught me how to do minor repairs around the house so that I could be self sufficient. I could not imagine relying on others to do every mundane task that needs to be done in everyday life.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,404,778 times
Default Really?

So I'm at a loss. If you want to give your child a pocket knife, it's your prerogative. If someone else doesn't want to, it's theirs. Give reasons why or why not. It's pretty simple.

No need to discuss anyone's lifestyle or join in that discussion either.

If this cannot be done, then I see no reason to keep this thread open. Thanks people.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,214,622 times
I had a swiss army knife. Things we different when I was a kid. When our stuff was done, we were free. The neighborhood was big with woods and all sorts of stuff that would scare a today parent. The swiss army knife was invaluable. It carved sticks. Dug. Opened things.

Anyone who has seen my posts will know my thoughts on this already, I guess. Protecting kids from everything at every age is a big mistake. We have about 18 years to teach them how to live, judge, think and do in a big scary world. You can't just tell them "knives are dangerous, don't use them". That is silly. They are useful tools. Kids are just people. They aren't some special breed. They don't know much, especially when really little. So boundaries keep them safe. But if their boundaries don't continuously expand as they grow, their development will be stunted in all ways. And as with most mentally healthy people, when treated with respect, dignity and honesty, they will respond in kind, to including being eager partners in learning to be responsible. If I had to make a guess, and yes it is only a guess, the majority of accidents with tools in which children injure other children are more related to a failure to educate through exposure but from protection and safety so that the kids had no idea of the dangers.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:09 AM

970 posts, read 2,216,987 times
Pocketknives are very useful tools. My kid is an infant but once he is older I have no issue giving him a knife provided he is responsible and treats it like a tool. Also, if he spends as much time on boats as I do a knife is practically required as a safety measure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting