Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,445,914 times

Advertisements

I have a son, going on 3-years old this November. If there is an IPAD around, its hard to get him to try any other toy. I mean the only thing that compares is the large Thomas the Train set in the basement.

Sure we get him out and he loves catching balls or playgrounds. . .but if the IPAD is in the hand its a bit of a forceful exercise. I'm glad its a lot better on kids then TV (very interactive).

I think the IPAD is great, its a great tool and toy. . .I was wondering what guidelines you have for young children. I'm not going to take the thing away, but tips/tricks on setting "IPAD TIMES"

Right now, the only thing we do is put it away and tell the little guy daddy took it to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,411,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I have a son, going on 3-years old this November. If there is an IPAD around, its hard to get him to try any other toy. I mean the only thing that compares is the large Thomas the Train set in the basement.

Sure we get him out and he loves catching balls or playgrounds. . .but if the IPAD is in the hand its a bit of a forceful exercise. I'm glad its a lot better on kids then TV (very interactive).

I think the IPAD is great, its a great tool and toy. . .I was wondering what guidelines you have for young children. I'm not going to take the thing away, but tips/tricks on setting "IPAD TIMES"

Right now, the only thing we do is put it away and tell the little guy daddy took it to work.
Well, maybe it is better than Tv but is "better than TV" any kind standard to aspire to?

I'm always confused by the use of the word ""interactive when talking about children's tech toys - To me, "interactive" means a relationship of some sort - and you can't have a relationship with tv, an ipod, an ipad, etc....

I don't have any IPad myself - I do have a nook and have downloaded a few apps for me daughter for when we are travelling.

I even downloaded a few books to read - but I recently (looking for cite) read a study that for some reason they had found in a couple of studies that kids don't learn to read or store information as well if they get it from a e-reader or device as they do in a book.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,264,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I recently (looking for cite) read a study that for some reason they had found in a couple of studies that kids don't learn to read or store information as well if they get it from a e-reader or device as they do in a book.
Really, I would be interested in that study, that seem odd.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
For toddlers, iPads should be use for a very limited amount of time just like any other electronic device.

Cognitive development still takes place through the teen years, and the skills of "deep thinking," or figuring stuff out beyond just a cursory Google search, can be hindered by too much exposure to the rapid pace of electronic media.

I'd hate to see a brain scan of my elementary-age child when he plays Club Penguin on a laptop.

I'd say take a hard look at how much you use the iPad when your child is around. If you do let him play with it, use one of those "toddler timer" apps and set it for just a few minutes, then put it away when time is up. Train him now that it is not something that can just be used all the time.

Try to use it after your child is asleep so he won't constantly be tempted to choose the iPad over other toys that also develop other important cognitive and fine motor skills.

Electronics use can be compulsive. Even though it seems educational, an iPad can be as addictive as TV if not regulated.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,912,531 times
While I agree the IPad can be a neat tool (and some apps are interactive), the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 1-2 hours per day of combined screen time (includes tv, computer, iPad) at that age. I like the idea of using a timer, and would probably use whatever limit-setting techniques you have already found effective with your child for other things.

It would worry me if my child seemed to not want to do other things or threw tantrums when it was taken away or became totally engrossed for long periods of time to the exclusion of other things, but from your OP, I can't tell if it's something like that or just that it is his preferred toy at the moment. How does he respond now when you say no iPad or it's time to put the iPad away? Also, depending on what he is playing, have you tried transitioning him to the "real life" version? For example, if he is playing a math game, saying "Ok, time to put the IPad away, look, we can add/subtract/count these (insert household object here), too."

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-12-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,272,509 times
So glad none of that was available when my kids were that young. Nintendo was challenging enough.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,411,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Really, I would be interested in that study, that seem odd.
I'll see if I can find it ... basically ,. for some unknown reason, kids seem to be able to learn better from a book (?)

I did find this interesting - a study that suggests that you don't retain infomation as well because e-readers are "too easy" on the eyes and you don't have to work for the information the same way you do reading print or handwriting.

E-readers 'too easy' to read - Telegraph

I had a conversation with the husband the other day where we were talking about watching shows on the history channel and how we both felt like we could kid ourselves that we were watching something educational (and I'm talking about actual history shows (not the pawn/auction/hoarders typoe crap that they air on TLC nowdays). But if I watch say, a show on ancient Rome - for some reason I don't remember the information or can't recall it the same way as if I were to say, read an article in National Geographic....

Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,288,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I'm glad its a lot better on kids then TV (very interactive).
The TV is a wonderful tool for the parent who knows how to use it. Yes there is junk. There are also educational programs that can mold those little minds and get them thinking. Never mind the fact that most libraries have videos on a huge variety of subjects for free

If you don't like what you child is watching then you turn it off. You can even pop in that video on Mayan civilization you got at the library. (That human sacrifice thing usually holds their attention real well.)

And sometimes you just let them watch junk because they're kids, not tenured professors. (Who probably watch plenty of junk.)

As far as the iPad goes, this is how you teach him the concepts of limits. Also a good chance to teach him the concept of, "No. We do not throw a huge fit because your iPad time is up."

Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,136,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
While I agree the IPad can be a neat tool (and some apps are interactive), the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 1-2 hours per day of combined screen time (includes tv, computer, iPad) at that age. I like the idea of using a timer, and would probably use whatever limit-setting techniques you have already found effective with your child for other things.

It would worry me if my child seemed to not want to do other things or threw tantrums when it was taken away or became totally engrossed for long periods of time to the exclusion of other things, but from your OP, I can't tell if it's something like that or just that it is his preferred toy at the moment. How does he respond now when you say no iPad or it's time to put the iPad away? Also, depending on what he is playing, have you tried transitioning him to the "real life" version? For example, if he is playing a math game, saying "Ok, time to put the IPad away, look, we can add/subtract/count these (insert household object here), too."
The bolded is an important point. People think computers are different, but they aren't. You should be looking at it as screen time if you are looking for recommendations regarding the time spent watching. I think because we grew up without them, some people think their kids are prodigies because they pound keys or swipe their fingers across screens. LOL. (some, not all!) It's funny too because I hear people all the time say "oh, he/she tries to take it from me every time I'm using it". If you sit down with a 2 year old and try to read a book or magazine in front of them, they do the same thing. Hell, my cat lays on the newspaper if I try to read one when he wants attention.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM

885 posts, read 1,885,970 times
It's way worse than the tv. It allows others to interact with your kids. At 3, fine, at 13, watch out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting