Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 11,823 times

Advertisements

Toddler has junky cough and dr gave up this steroid drug 15 mg twice daily for 5 days.

I have read and heard some bad things about giving young children steriod drugs, even in 5 day short term. Steriods effect internal organs and can do alot of damage. Many people experience severe psychological reactions and stunted growth.

Does anyone have any experience giving this drug to kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
If you're not comfortable with giving it maybe you should call your child's doctor rather than asking a bunch of strangers on an online forum.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
My son took this drug when he was little. He is 18 now and he is normal height (5'8"), normal weight (180) and he is doing well in his college classes.

You need to discuss this with your doctor. Ask him about the drug and why he prescribed it, what it is treating (probably inflammation) and what the alternatives are.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,763 times
When my dd was 4 years old her doctor perscribed a steroid for her. I can't remember what it was for, but let me tell ya, she turned into devil child, literally. She was moody, mean and downright uncontrollable.

My parents were visiting at this time and my daughter loves her Papa. They were sitting in the living room watching something on the TV and she just looks at him and says, "Papa, I hate you". I was like, WTF! Then at dinner the next night she was yelling at everyone to not look at her and to leave her alone! Her face got swollen also, which I guess is a side effect. Well I didn't give her her dose that night, nor the next day and she returned to her normal happy self.

I called her doctor that Monday and he said to not give it to her anymore and I was like, yeah, I stopped on Saturday. I won't give it to her anymore because I'm affraid of the side effects now.

She doesn't have any issues with stunted growth, she's 10 and 5' tall, nor any learning issues.

However, with that said, the doctor prescribed this for a reason so you should really talk to her doctor before not giving her medication that will help whatever the issue is. Maybe they can give her a smaller dose or something or maybe change it completly.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Short course of steroids unlikely to have any bad long-term effects.

Steroids are really bad when you take them long-term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting