Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,955,935 times

Advertisements

With regards to adoption I think it is wonderful. I wouldn't advise single people adopting babies but rather older kids who would be in the system otherwise. When it comes to giving birth though it really depends. I do think it can be ok when one decides to use a surrogate, sperm, eggs, etc. I don't like the idea of a single woman giving through a pregnancy by herself though but as long as I'm not paying I don't care.

However when it comes to intentionally getting pregnant by a man then yes I have a serious problem. I have heard stories of women who will have sex with a man, getting pregnant, then not telling him. This is extremely immoral. The worst though are the situations where it's a single mom who then goes on welfare, often intentionally getting pregnant for this. Disgusting and highly immoral and ruining society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,166,233 times
I don't think it's wrong but I think it's very, very difficult. At least when you're talking about a true single Mother who is doing it all alone. Divorced isn't the same thing as going through the whole thing by yourself. I have two friends who had a babies on their own. In both cases the grandparents are very involved and provide a lot of help and support. If you're planning to do it alone I think you need either this or enough money to pay for reliable help outside of just regular daycare.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,868,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

However when it comes to intentionally getting pregnant by a man then yes I have a serious problem. I have heard stories of women who will have sex with a man, getting pregnant, then not telling him. This is extremely immoral. The worst though are the situations where it's a single mom who then goes on welfare, often intentionally getting pregnant for this. Disgusting and highly immoral and ruining society.
Yeah, but what about women who have good jobs, have a supportive network, are mature and stable and want to have a kid? That happens too. So is that a problem too or just people you think are being deceptive or have alterior monetary motives.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,889,361 times
Wow such hypocrisy.

Obviously the IDEAL is a two parent home with all possible security associated but it is clearly NOT WRONG to have a child while being single.

As to all the people claiming single parents should only adopt, WTH?? Why would you say such a thing? Children eligible for adoption deserve less than newborns or biological children? Because when you imply that a single parent is good enough to adopt someone who has no other options but NOT good enough to parent a biological child that is exactly what you are saying.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yeah, but what about women who have good jobs, have a supportive network, are mature and stable and want to have a kid? That happens too. So is that a problem too or just people you think are being deceptive or have alterior monetary motives.
Then they should adopt. I think being deceptive to a man is very wrong. A child needs two parents if possible and in the cases where the woman gets pregnant there is a man who deserves to be involved.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,286,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
If a single man or woman wants to have a child and uses donor sperm/egg+surrogate to have a child, or adopts a child, is this right?

Do you think this is too unfair to the child,
Yes.

Just kidding.

Quote:
or do you think the single adult has the right to be a parent under their own terms?
There are SOOOOO many factors. So many possible comparisons. The only thing that matters is the outcome for the child(ren). We can not look into our magic crystal snow balls and know what that is going to be in this general question.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,897,272 times
No it's not wrong, but I wouldn't want to be a single parent.

I think it's hard enough rasing a child up together, but it's even harder doing it alone.

Socially,and econimacally. Children need a mother and a father.

Boys need men to teach them physical things that a woman might not do.

My mother was a single mom, not by choice. She's a great mother, but I strongly believe because of her, it limited my social abilties as a teenager.

Didn't play sports,so I think a both figures are needed.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,716,874 times
No it is not wrong and in fact is right. The reason is that in so many cases a one person parent can do a much better job than two people.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,450,271 times
If a single parent wants to have a child, either through adoption or in-vitro, good for them. Being a parent is hard whether you are going at it alone or with a partner. With a partner there is no guarantee that either person will always be around (illness or death) or stick around (divorce). At least starting off alone, you are well aware to know that you will be the sole parent and make adjustments to juggling all the tasks. If someone has a child through adoption or in-vitro is none of my damn business.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,897,272 times
As I've posted before, I don't think people realize that a child needs both parents. People need to think before they bring a child in the world, adopt, or any of method of child birth and decide they want to be a single parent. No. Children need both parents in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting