Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times

Advertisements

I've yet to see a boy in a tutu. I guess I need to look harder?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Not true. Today's mothers raise their kids to believe the only difference between girls and boys is genitalia. Think about it for a minute; why do mothers work so hard making their daughters more like sons, and their sons more like daughters? I never understood that. They get their girls trucks and jeans, and get their boys dolls and tutus. They encourage their daughters to be rough and tumble and tough, and encourage their sons to be feminine, passive and sensitive.

It seems to me that modern mothers are trying very hard to reverse genders, molding tomorrow's men to be what women used to be, and molding tomorrow's women to be what men used to be. Why else would they be so demeaning to men than for the purpose of opressing them through guilt and manipulation and shame?Or could it be that some people just acknowledge there are differences and celebrating those differences instead of trying to change them?

I've successfully raised three traditional adults who know EXACTLY who and what they are. They are all happy, well adjusted, intelligent people. The boys hold doors and treat females with respect and patience, and my daughter expects nothing less. They are not at all confused about their roles in their family and in society. No one is afraid of change, we celebrate and respect differences; simple as that.
I have a 5 year old, and thus have quite a bit of contact with "modern mothers". I see zero evidence of this.

What I do see, is that parents are more prepared to let kids take the lead on what interests them, instead of forcing them into preconceived gender roles from the get go. IE, if little Suzy likes trucks, then little Suzy can play with trucks. If little Jimmy likes dancing, little Jimmy can dance.

The reality is that the modern workforce is no longer divided into traditional gender roles. If kids are going to be successful later in life, they're going to need to be prepared to do work that used to traditionally cater to a specific gender. It's not going to be helpful to pretend that little Suzy shouldn't be good at math and become an engineer because women supposedly don't understand numbers. It's not going to be helpful for little Jimmy to not go into nursing because men are not traditionally caretakers.

This does not mean people don't respect the inherent differences between the sexes. I do believe they still do. But our kids are no longer constrained along hard drawn gender lines. We now accept that there's quite a crossover when it comes to what both sexes are capable of, and in a world where people really need to play to their own individual strengths in order to survive, it's a good thing that gender stigma is going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,699,573 times
The best tip for raising boys and girls is the realization that the parent does not have any idea how to be a parent. Most people and most couples are not born with that ability and are not taught. Individuals are often better parents alone than as a couple. The acknowledgement of lack of knowledge and skills is the first step in the learning process. People can learn to be better parents. The payoff is well worth the trouble.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 AM

105 posts, read 106,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've yet to see a boy in a tutu. I guess I need to look harder?
Seriously? You haven't seen those documentaries on TV about gender confused children? Boys in pink bedrooms with tutus hanging from the door and dresses in the closet? I've seen a dozen of those. You've never seen blogs written by a women who think it's so darn cute that little Johnny prefers tutus and dresses instead of jeans and sneakers? They are everywhere.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM

105 posts, read 106,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have a 5 year old, and thus have quite a bit of contact with "modern mothers". I see zero evidence of this.
Then you have your head in the sand.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
All I can say is wow. People need to stop watching reality TV and thinking it represents what goes on in real life. I am so glad I do not know anyone who holds the beliefs posited in the OP, not even the elders in my family.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
I would say the op is extremely disturbing, but I never learned to read, being the good, housebound, barefoot, pregnant woman that I am...spend way too much time darning socks and preparing aspics.

Besides, I am much too weak to pick up the laptop...and omg! It's a non-kitchen electrical appliance! What if I blow it up! Omg! So many buttons! I swoon with intimidation!

I hope a heavy-lifting, outside-chore doing, properly attired male comes and saves me soon.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
I'm not very politically correct but I don't really agree too much with this.

1. I don't really see all that androgeny in children's movies.

2. Same -- I provide old and new. Rock and country music aren't politically correct and that's what my kids like.

3. A couple of my sons love cooking -- one enjoyed making cakes because he liked eating them, thought there was nothing better than fresh cake an hour out of the overn. Another sees himself as a grill master. He really likes grilling but likes other cooking. I think girls should have mechanical skills, they should know how a car runs, how to maintain a car, at least what needs to be done and why. They at least need to know enough that they aren't bimbos that will be ripped off or stranded on the road.

The differences will become apparent when the daughter realizes that her brothers can lift heavier objects and are stronger but it's not going to bother me if it's the girl that gets out the tools and repairs all the bikes including her brothers' bikes or has to show her boyfriend about the fuses in his car.

4. Same -- they'll find their own roles, their own nature will guide them, I have enough confidence in that.

5. I don't want to see my boys in skirts and frilly blouses but that hasn't been a problem. Daughters can wear t-shirts and jeans or if they prefer frilly, that's up to them. Tomboys are fine I think.

6. Again, I think their own nature will guide them but no -- my kids aren't allowed to punch or physically hurt each other and don't seem very inclined toward aggressive sports. They prefer riding bikes, paintball, horseback riding.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Seriously? You haven't seen those documentaries on TV about gender confused children? Boys in pink bedrooms with tutus hanging from the door and dresses in the closet? I've seen a dozen of those. You've never seen blogs written by a women who think it's so darn cute that little Johnny prefers tutus and dresses instead of jeans and sneakers? They are everywhere.
Everywhere? LOL.

And what if little Johnny prefers tutus and dresses? What would you do if he did? No doubt there's little boys who do, and it has nothing to do with the parents forcing them into it, and everything with the parents letting them be themselves.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,163,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

What I do see, is that parents are more prepared to let kids take the lead on what interests them, instead of forcing them into preconceived gender roles from the get go. IE, if little Suzy likes trucks, then little Suzy can play with trucks. If little Jimmy likes dancing, little Jimmy can dance.

The reality is that the modern workforce is no longer divided into traditional gender roles. If kids are going to be successful later in life, they're going to need to be prepared to do work that used to traditionally cater to a specific gender. It's not going to be helpful to pretend that little Suzy shouldn't be good at math and become an engineer because women supposedly don't understand numbers. It's not going to be helpful for little Jimmy to not go into nursing because men are not traditionally caretakers.

This does not mean people don't respect the inherent differences between the sexes. I do believe they still do. But our kids are no longer constrained along hard drawn gender lines. We now accept that there's quite a crossover when it comes to what both sexes are capable of, and in a world where people really need to play to their own individual strengths in order to survive, it's a good thing that gender stigma is going the way of the dinosaur.
excellent post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting