Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Wow, you have a chip on your shoulder. BTW, who said anything about politics?
If by having a chip on my shoulder you mean I am angry about how society views men and women's roles so differently, then yes, I do. The article linked in the OP started by talking about politics hence my mention of it.

Quote:
Who said anything about women being meant to be mothers, first and foremost? No one. The point is, because women are who bear the child, motherhood is the natural consequence of having sex generally.
I get what happens when women have sex. I have children. Is fatherhood the natural consequence of having sex generally? It seems, to me and many others, that for women motherhood is the default yet for men fatherhood is a choice. Completely unequal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:
Wow, you have a chip on your shoulder. BTW, who said anything about politics?
The article did.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I do think that motherhood is the default setting. However, the default setting can be over ridden. The female body is set up for reproduction.

I think it is a mistake to assume that the CDC's push for women to take care of their reproductive health is driven by a need to tell women that they should be having children. I think that as an agency of public health it is appropriate for the CDC to educate women about the steps they should be taking now to ensure their reproductive healthy. It would be very sad for an 18 year old young woman to fritter away her reproductive health because she thought she didn't want to have children only to find that at age 35 she does.

That is not to say that women have to have children. They don't. And if they don't want them nobody should make them feel bad about that decision. I just don't think that there is anything wrong with the CDC informing women about how to protect their reproductive health.
Exactly -- the biological purpose of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, breasts are obvious but that doesn't mean they must be used.

And I agree that it's silly to slam the CDC or make it seem that they're insisting women must have children just by warning about reproductive health and take folic acid and limit alcohol and drugs. And offering a woman who might become pregnant a safer drug is certainly a good idea, what woman would want to find out her baby will have no arms or legs because of a drug she was given.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,974,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If by having a chip on my shoulder you mean I am angry about how society views men and women's roles so differently, then yes, I do. The article linked in the OP started by talking about politics hence my mention of it.

I get what happens when women have sex. I have children. Is fatherhood the natural consequence of having sex generally? It seems, to me and many others, that for women motherhood is the default yet for men fatherhood is a choice. Completely unequal.
I completely agree. What about the father's health during his sexually active "pre pregnant" years?

Quote:
n 2006, the term “pre-pregnant†was coined in a Washington Post story about a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommending that all women of childbearing age care for their pre-conception health. The agency said all American women — from the time of their first menstrual period until menopause — should take folic acid supplements, not smoke, not “misuse†alcohol, maintain a healthy weight, refrain from drug use and avoid “high risk sexual behavior.â€
After all, those behaviors have an effect on sperm, as well. Yet men are not admonished to live their lives as if they're going to father children at any moment.

Smoking fathers link to most common child cancer | University News : University News : The University of Western Australia

Fathers and Alcohol Use: Evidence Suggests That Dads Who Drink Cause Harm to Unborn | Suite101.com

Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
This article is stupid.
First of all, just because GOP is talking about moms being great does not mean that they think every woman should be or wants to be a mom.
Way to be a total lame-o, agenda-pushing, fact-twisting, liberal piece of crap, author.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,577,445 times
Although not listed in the OP article, the CDC has a similar message for men:

CDC - Preconception Care, Information for Men

Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Not to be politically incorrect, but when you look at the dregs of society, those I consider closest to the animal state, women are highly reproductive, and men (like many male animals) kind of swing by, drop off sperm, and have nothing to do with child rearing.

So, yeah...biologically speaking, the human animal settings are for women to be mothers and men to disappear. Just like lots of other animals.

However, I don't see what that has to do with granting or denying women the right to choose how they want to conduct their own lives. Unlike animals, most of us have the ability to think for ourselves and choose what kind of life we want to live (and take the measure to ensure this).

So who cares what the 'default' setting is? Is that supposed to prove some kind of point?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What do you think of this article?
The writer calls herself a feminist author. She seemed to get a little riled up about the CDC recommending the use of folic acid to help prevent birth defects.

The audacity! Recommending that a female, who may have a baby and that baby may be unplanned, be on the safe side and take a pill that could give them a healthy, normal child rather than one with a birth defect that could have devastating consequences for the child and its family. No, let's not focus on that. Let us get all upset that an agency recognizes that women are capable of giving birth.

So what did I think of the article? Not much. I think the writer was too wrapped up in the My Body feminist end of things. She could have seen the other side. They CDC is giving us the power to have healthy babies! Thank you CDC.

So .... meh.

One thing I'd tell the author: The CDC recommended the folic acid. No one from the government is going to break down your door and force that pill down your throat. That is what should worry you. A recommendation? Not so much. You can always ignore it. (And cross your fingers that your child doesn't have a birth defect the folic acid could have prevented.)

Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,974,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Although not listed in the OP article, the CDC has a similar message for men:

CDC - Preconception Care, Information for Men
I couldn't open the link, but fair enough, thanks for the info.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
One point of clarification, RAINN states there are 207, 000 REPORTED rapes in the US annually in women over the age of 12. Numbers are thought to be much higher. That would result in over 10, 000 pregnancies just from reported rapes.
I wasn't aware that ten thousand is the same as tenS of thousands. But ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting