Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM

105 posts, read 106,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
At what point does a parent's individual beliefs cross over the line into child abuse?
Should there be any limits at all to what concepts or beliefs a parent can attempt to pass down?
Ummm, does the state or federal government own my children? Am I, as a parent, simply the oven these children were baked in and the caregiver for a time until fired by said government because I dared rub my way of thinking onto those pitifully empty slates called their minds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just because you make it illegal to have your own original thoughts and wish to pass along your thoughts and feelings to your children does not mean it will ever be enforced. How do you enforce what humans think, feel and say to anyone?
It's called POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, and it happens all the time. NO ONE is allowed to express any kind of opinion deviant of the norm that has been determined by certain individuals...wait, they AREN'T individuals, they're clones, or replicas, or something else, but certainly NOT individuals, but I digress... . Look at all those people who are forced to apologize publically for voicing an opinion or not being Politically Correct. Look at how climbed on people are right here on CD for not complying to the general consensus. When someone voices an alternative opinion other than the norm, we may as well be tarred and feathered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
At this point in time there is an effort to create submissive and compliant adults..and they start this process in the schools when the kids are very young...The new ideology is to create a society that does not question authority...within 20 years we will have millions of young adults who will NEVER question authority. Authorship over your own life..dreams of being something that you want will be replaced by the dreams of others and what THEY want.
There you go, in a nutshell.

Last edited by pearly6; 08-31-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Ya ya. I was just continuing from where you left off.

Yup. My ideal real world would include no religion. But I am never going to get that!
Nope, but it's interesting to theorize. I would say that there's an awful lot of junk we fill kids' heads with that just passes on the same ole same ole.

We're all guilty of it though. I've been thinking lately what with all the politics going on if we can keep an open mind enough to not indoctrinate our daughter into our way of thinking just because.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Seems that you are caught up in that 70s style ideology.
Nice. A smart, strong woman states her beliefs and you tell her she's "caught up in that 70's style ideology". Whatever.

No. I do not believe there should be legal limits on passing down ideology. Number one it would be, thankfully, unconstitutional and an infringement on my rights as a citizen of the United States.

Number two I am scared right out of my socks that the decisions on those legal limits would be decided by a group of chest-thumping, right-denying, religion-fanatic, thought-controlling, minority-hating, denier-of-human-rights white males who thought they knew what was best for me. Forget that noise. I'm hanging with Frederick Douglass.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nice. A smart, strong woman expresses her opinion and you tell her she's "caught up in that 70's style ideology." What-evah.

No. I do not believe there should be legal limits on passing down ideology. Number one it would be, thankfully, unconstitutional and an infringement on my rights as a citizen of the United States.

Number two I am scared right out of my socks that the decisions on those legal limits would be decided by a group of chest-thumping, right-denying, religion-fanatic, thought-controlling, minority-hating, denier-of-human-rights white males who thought they knew what was best for me. Forget that noise. I'm hanging with Frederick Douglass.
Sing it, Sister.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM

442 posts, read 615,516 times
I will say this in response to OP.

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools. I'm no longer a practicing Catholic, for a variety of reasons I won't get into here.

However I don't think I ever heard anyone speak of homosexuality once in any service. I'm not saying it never happens in any church, but my experience with churches in the area I live in, would be that it happens infrequently. So it would be a bit different to compare hearing an ordinary Sunday homily to anti-gay therapy.

Some of the gay people I grew up with actually are hoping the church will change their stance in their lifetime...probably won't happen very soon, but they can hope.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
No.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
It has already happened, as this case shows:
Baby Hitler Parents Lose Custody of All Three of Their Kids | Fox News

Without signs of physical abuse, the parents lost custody of their children. Right, or wrong? These parents were passing on their ideology regarding race, and the courts intervened. I am not convinced they were unloving or strictly unfit to parent, yet I hate the message they were trying to pass down. They inflicted a heavy burden on their children by giving them names that most people found appalling, and pretty much guaranteed they would not be able to have a normal childhood.

Were the courts correct?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM

105 posts, read 106,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait a minute...

It's the left that is so much for controlling the masses and government control of everything from TV shows to banning milk from schools, etc..

LOL, you must not ever read on AOL. They bought Huffington Post, owned by Arianna Huffington with one stipulation: That she does not turn it into a left wing agenda because she is so painfully leftist. Trouble is, she has. Now AOL news is FULL of blogs like: '6 Things To NEVER Say To Your Child', 'How To Raise Chilren In Ten Easy Steps', '10 Ways To Raise Your Daughter Like a Boy', '15 Ways To Raise Your Son Like a Girl', 'Never Say This To Your Daughter', etc., etc., etc., etc., etc..

Look at that group Million Moms. THEY aren't "right", they are far off the edge of left, and they try to control EVERYTHING.

It's the left that pushes the agenda of Political Correctness to a new level every time we turn around. It's not ok to say ANYTHING anymore unless they approve, and it's always the left who are the first to cry about something not being fair.

I understand this isn't the political forum, but since you brought it up...

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It has already happened, as this case shows:
Baby Hitler Parents Lose Custody of All Three of Their Kids | Fox News

Without signs of physical abuse, the parents lost custody of their children. Right, or wrong? These parents were passing on their ideology regarding race, and the courts intervened. I am not convinced they were unloving or strictly unfit to parent, yet I hate the message they were trying to pass down. They inflicted a heavy burden on their children by giving them names that most people found appalling, and pretty much guaranteed they would not be able to have a normal childhood.

Were the courts correct?
No, I don't think the courts were correct. I am very much against removing kids from their homes unless there's an absolute clear cut case of abuse and/or neglect. Although this is obviously abhorrent and stupid, I'm not sure that it's either of the above. But there's no doubt the kids are going to pay a high price either way. You can't take kids away because their parents are idiots, though. They have a right to their parents, dumbasses or not.

You can't stop it, but it breaks my heart anyway. Same with those Prussian Blue kids who's parents paraded them about singing White Supremacist crap. Same with anybody who's kids are taught how to be suicide bombers. Same with anybody who's kids are taught that they're going straight to hell if they're gay.

I'm sure there are plenty of people - actually I know there are - who are aghast at what we choose to teach our child. You can't have freedom on one side without it on the other.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
To be fair the OP was talking about extremist views.
Right, but who gets to define "extremist"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting