Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Ok, seriously, this kid...

He is a ball of fire from the instant he gets up until he finally goes to bed at night.

He gets his naps, and he gets his feedings...but in between...holy cow!

He cannot manage to entertain himself AT ALL. And whatever you're doing, it has to be something different within the next 5 minutes, or there will be sad face grumpy whiny time.

The only thing he can handle for lengths of time is walks and riding in the car. Well, it's getting too hot to walk ALL day long, and I take him to the grocery store sometimes to entertain him, but that's an entire production in and of itself. He goes for a nature walk every day. He gets to feel the flowers and the tree bark, etc etc...but right now he's in the 'everything in my mouth' phase, so we're petting and immediately releasing.

Let's see...things we do...bumbo, bouncy, high chair (oh, heck to pay if he's not just there to eat), laptop (yes, laptop), piano, guitar, blocks, pet the dog (he LOVES the dog), he likes looking in the mirror...

One thing that will keep him interested for a good 10 or 15 minutes is ripping apart magazines and newspapers. What worries me about that is that he puts it (like everything else) in his mouth, so I am constantly having to take stuff out of his hand and give him a fresh sheet...and I don't know about all that sucking on ink and paper. So that is pretty much saved until I am at my wit's end.

We have a pool, but I don't think it's safe to take him swimming when I am alone in the house, because if something happens to me (I slip and fall or something) he will be alone in the pool. Not good.

He doesn't like being put down. He has been like this since the day he was born (the nurses BEGGED us to let them take him to the nursery so my wife could sleep), but now that he's smart enough to realize we bring all good things and entertainment, he's really awful about it.

Pediatrician says that the smarter kids are like this - needing constant and changing stimulation, but I think she is shining us on!!!!!!

Help me...how to entertain this little dude!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Btw, I would like to think this is normal, but I have seen too many babies come into my ED (accompanying a family member or something) sit quietly in their carriers, looking around, entertaining themselves with a rattle or something...SO WOULD NEVER HAPPEN with this kid...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
I think it's pretty normal.

- You could take him to baby swim lessons instead of swimming at home.
- Kindermusik (or similar) classes
- Gymboree
- one of my kids favorite activities was making a ball pit at home using a small inflatable pool and filling it with balls
- banging pots in the kitchen
- playdates or a playgroup, even with kids of slightly different ages
- libraries and bookstores often have puppet shows, etc.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
My first was just like this. She wanted to be busy and stimulated constantly. I would look at those babies sitting quietly in their carriers in awe. My second baby entertains herself a lot so while your baby is completely normal, you're right that not all babies are this way.

I remember walking all of the time when my oldest was a baby. It was what kept her calm and happy. We went to the park, I pushed her on the swing, I carried her in an ergo around the house, that helped when it was too hot or too cold outside. I took her to the rec center pool, to the library, shopping, etc. I honestly can't remember all of the things I did to keep her busy but I do remember it was exhausting. She got easier once she learned how to crawl and walk because she could get where she wanted to go by herself. Hang in there.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,356 times
My daughter was like this also. She wouldn't play by herself. I found a play group in our area and took her there 2 times per week to play with other kids. We went to the park, a lot. We lived out in the country so we spent quite a few days outside, if it wasn't raining, walking, exploring, digging etc... I did do the puplic pool swimming and she loved it.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM

Ok, I bought a kiddie pool...safer alternative...

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

He is a ball of fire from the instant he gets up until he finally goes to bed at night.

He cannot manage to entertain himself AT ALL. And whatever you're doing, it has to be something different within the next 5 minutes, or there will be sad face grumpy whiny time.

The only thing he can handle for lengths of time is walks and riding in the car. Well, it's getting too hot to walk ALL day long, and I take him to the grocery store sometimes to entertain him, but that's an entire production in and of itself. He goes for a nature walk every day. He gets to feel the flowers and the tree bark, etc etc...but right now he's in the 'everything in my mouth' phase, so we're petting and immediately releasing.

Let's see...things we do...bumbo, bouncy, high chair (oh, heck to pay if he's not just there to eat), laptop (yes, laptop), piano, guitar, blocks, pet the dog (he LOVES the dog), he likes looking in the mirror...

One thing that will keep him interested for a good 10 or 15 minutes is ripping apart magazines and newspapers. What worries me about that is that he puts it (like everything else) in his mouth, so I am constantly having to take stuff out of his hand and give him a fresh sheet...and I don't know about all that sucking on ink and paper. So that is pretty much saved until I am at my wit's end.

We have a pool, but I don't think it's safe to take him swimming when I am alone in the house, because if something happens to me (I slip and fall or something) he will be alone in the pool. Not good.

He doesn't like being put down. He has been like this since the day he was born (the nurses BEGGED us to let them take him to the nursery so my wife could sleep), but now that he's smart enough to realize we bring all good things and entertainment, he's really awful about it.

Pediatrician says that the smarter kids are like this - needing constant and changing stimulation, but I think she is shining us on!!!!!!

Help me...how to entertain this little dude!!!!!
WOW

If you are letting an 8 month old control your life to this extent, can you even begin to imagine what life is going to be like when he is 2? Your life is going to be a living hell.

It's time to TEACH him how to enjoy his own company and that you are not at his beck and call 24/7. The way you do that is you let him cry and pout a little bit so that he learns that he does not get INSTANTANEOUS gratification every single time his nose puckers up.

Good god. Teach him, please.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
WOW

If you are letting an 8 month old control your life to this extent, can you even begin to imagine what life is going to be like when he is 2? Your life is going to be a living hell.

It's time to TEACH him how to enjoy his own company and that you are not at his beck and call 24/7. The way you do that is you let him cry and pout a little bit so that he learns that he does not get INSTANTANEOUS gratification every single time his nose puckers up.

20yrsinBranson
I'm sorry but until you are a parent of a very busy baby you have no idea what you're talking about. The op is doing a fine job.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

At some point, and at what point you think that is I have no idea, you are going to want to let him know/deal with the fact that you are not his full time enterainment center. Draw out the time in the exersauser or whatever little by little. As his language skills develop, say Mommy has to do xyz now. And let him fuss. Fuss. Not freak.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
WOW

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, like you, I once labored under the delusion that you could put babies in their little playpen (I used to call it a cage) and they would chew on a block or quietly amuse themselves...lie lie lie lie lie!!!!!

This is a big lie.

They are people and they want to interact. It's truly fascinating to watch him absorb his environment, try new things, try to beat the crap out of everything, and call the dog repeatedly by saying, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!"

But it's exhausting, and when my wife gets home, I am SUPER happy to hand off...

He's napping right now, so I am eating something quickly...then...god knows what the afternoon holds!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting