Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times

Advertisements

My daughter is just about to turn 4, so it isn't something critical, but when should I expect her R's to sound like R's instead of W's and her TH's to sound like TH's instead of F's....

IE. Instead of "Three" it's "Fwee", etc.....

How does one teach a child to say R's ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
I had a W for R and L substitution until I was like 9 or something. I think it is one of the latest sounds that kids master. I went to speech therapy during school with the other kids who had the same substitution for a few years and we would practice saying words and listening to others say words with R's in them at different positions in the word. For instance, "Race" would be easier to say than "Word" because of the position of the R in the word, so we would master different R's earlier than others. I still catch myself doing the W for R every now and again, maybe twice a month or so I will hear myself do it, but nobody else ever notices.

Anyway, my point is, don't be too worried, it's a late developing sound.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
Here is some more info I found:

Do children learn all sounds at once?

* Sounds are learned in an orderly sequence. Some sounds, such as "p," "m," and "b," are learned as early as 3 years of age. Other sounds, like "s," "r,' and "l," often are not completely mastered until the early school years.

* At what age should a child be producing all sounds correctly? Children should make all the sounds of English by 8 years of age. Many children learn these sounds much earlier.

How can I help a child pronounce words correctly?

* By setting a good example. Don't interrupt or constantly correct the child. Don't let anyone tease or mock (including friends or relatives). Instead, present a good model. Use the misarticulated word correctly with emphasis. If the child says, "That's a big wabbit," you say "Yes, that is a big rabbit. A big white rabbit. Would you like to have a rabbit?"

ASHA: Q & A about Articulation Problems

Here are some other ideas for working on R sounds.
R sounds

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times
Thank you for the help and the information..... Good stuff.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 PM

895 posts, read 4,250,337 times
According to a speech therapist I know, mastery of the r, s and l should happen by the end of the 5th year. My oldest daughter had the same issue that your daughter has. My husband and I were aware of it and sensitive to it because we both had speech issues as children. Her teacher told us halfway through the year (she was almost 4 yo) that she didn't always understand our daughter. And then we found out that a few children made fun of her and how she talked. I don't want to alarm you but this did happen to us. We got her speech therapy for six months (paid out of our pocket, not through insurance). We also noticed that our second daughter had speech issues too. (They say it's rare to have multiple kids with speech issues --). Anyway, she had her adenoids and tonsils removed because of allergies/sinus issues and her speech issues disappeared! Everyone's different! I'd worry if your daughter still has it at 5 1/2 yo!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:41 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
My daughter is just about to turn 4, so it isn't something critical, but when should I expect her R's to sound like R's instead of W's and her TH's to sound like TH's instead of F's....

IE. Instead of "Three" it's "Fwee", etc.....

How does one teach a child to say R's ???
My oldest sounded like Elmer Fudd until he was six...there are many constantant substitions that children make even if they otherwise speak clearly. I wouldn't worry about it until she is older. You can always ask your pediatrician, but I know a lot of kids who did that at that age and are fine now.

Also even though you are worried about it now, don't be surprised to be a bit sad when the baby words are over...just another sign they aren't babies anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting