Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM

972 posts, read 2,448,845 times

Advertisements

That is meant in a literal sense. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a life changing condition that was usually preventable.

In the past few days I've read several news stories about young lives changed forever because they were doing something they shouldn't be doing, like car surfing or trying to beat that truck through the light. Sports related concussions are finally getting the spotlight, but more needs to be done. Most kids in our neighborhood don't wear helmets. I asked our pediatrician about that and he said they see at least one head injury a month. One a year is too much!

Please, parents, stress to your kids how fragile and important their brains truly are. There are so many posts here about how special and gifted everyone children are. Right here, right now, I am starting a campaign to educate parents about protecting the physical brain, not just what information goes into it.

TBI: CDC - Traumatic Brain Injury - Injury Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,752,623 times
Bumping your post for you because it's so important.

I think that our local middle school must have a rule about kids wearing helmets, because there are probably 30-40+ kids who ride bikes home, and they ALL wear helmets! Unfortunately, I see some of these same kids riding around the neighborhood helmetless in the evening and during the summer.

A few years ago, a little girl in our homeschool group was riding her scooter down her driveway when she hit a rock or something and ended up landing on her head. She wasn't wearing a helmet, and she ended up with a brain injury.

There's no reason not to enforce the "no helmet, no bike" rule!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,771,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Bumping your post for you because it's so important.

I think that our local middle school must have a rule about kids wearing helmets, because there are probably 30-40+ kids who ride bikes home, and they ALL wear helmets! Unfortunately, I see some of these same kids riding around the neighborhood helmetless in the evening and during the summer.

A few years ago, a little girl in our homeschool group was riding her scooter down her driveway when she hit a rock or something and ended up landing on her head. She wasn't wearing a helmet, and she ended up with a brain injury. There's no reason not to enforce the "no helmet, no bike" rule!
My daughter--not wearing a helmet--fell off her scooter and hit her head hard on the pavement. We were extremely lucky that she did not have a brain injury.

If you ever want to know what it feels like to be the crappiest parent on earth, take your daughter to the ER of a children's hospital and explain that she fell off her razor scooter while riding it down hill without a helmet. While you were present. I still get freaked out thinking about how stupid and lucky we were that evening.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,231,148 times
A little girl I know was hit on her bicycle by a dump truck. The helmet was the difference between a few broken ribs and death.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,546,528 times
Forget about the car surfing and all that other stuff.

Every time we get a kid who fell off his bike or her skateboard, etc, in our ED with a broken arm or bumped elbow, I ask them, "And...? Were you wearing your helmet?" I am ASTOUNDED by the number of kids who say no. I point out, "You see that broken arm/leg/clavicle/etc? That could have been your head."

I don't get it. It's so easy and it's not a burden and it's so stupid to ride without one.

Please, for the love of god, put a helmet on these kids. AND geezo-pizza, if they are going to be a 4-wheeler, it's even MORE important to do so! Adults, too! What kind of idiots run around on a 4-wheeler without a helmet? Oh...just about everybody.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,912,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please, for the love of god, put a helmet on these kids. AND geezo-pizza, if they are going to be a 4-wheeler, it's even MORE important to do so! Adults, too! What kind of idiots run around on a 4-wheeler without a helmet? Oh...just about everybody.
My state doesn't have a helmet law for MOTORCYCLES (after riding for 2 years or turning 21)! I looked it up a few years ago after I saw a ton of adults riding without them. Scares the bejeezus out of me.

I will readily admit I am somewhat paranoid about TBIs. My challenge is making sure I take a deep breath and let the helmet do its job when my impulse is to wrap the kids' heads in bubble wrap!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,231,148 times
Hey and make sure your kid is wearing it CORRECTLY. It does no good dangling on the back of your head.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,771,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My daughter--not wearing a helmet--fell off her scooter and hit her head hard on the pavement. We were extremely lucky that she did not have a brain injury.

If you ever want to know what it feels like to be the crappiest parent on earth, take your daughter to the ER of a children's hospital and explain that she fell off her razor scooter while riding it down hill without a helmet. While you were present. I still get freaked out thinking about how stupid and lucky we were that evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Forget about the car surfing and all that other stuff.

Every time we get a kid who fell off his bike or her skateboard, etc, in our ED with a broken arm or bumped elbow, I ask them, "And...? Were you wearing your helmet?" I am ASTOUNDED by the number of kids who say no. I point out, "You see that broken arm/leg/clavicle/etc? That could have been your head."

I don't get it. It's so easy and it's not a burden and it's so stupid to ride without one.

Hanging my head in shame....

Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,493,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Hanging my head in shame....
Hey, we live and learn. At least you did learn! You're not one of those people who feel like since they rode around on the handlebars of their brother's bike with no brakes OR helmet and survived, that kids don't need them. You took that one mishap as a wake up call, and didn't wait for something really awful to happen. Nothing to feel bad about. Your child is okay, and will continue to be because you learned from experience, which is a good thing.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,136,460 times
Great warnings - thank you. We're picking up a bike trailer tonight and will get my son his first helmet this weekend. I'll wear mine too, but my husband will refuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting