Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,132,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I understand that the risks are many. For my son, though, football is the only sport he can play at a high level. No football, no sports. And he has a legitimate shot at a scholarship. Ironically, he is out this year but will be playing his senior year.
Why would football be the only sport he could play? It may be the only one he is good enough to have a scholarship shot in, but the only one he could play? Somehow I doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,858,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Why would football be the only sport he could play? It may be the only one he is good enough to have a scholarship shot in, but the only one he could play? Somehow I doubt that.
He can play in the winter (wrestling) and spring (track). I'm saying that he could only play football in the fall.

He's a two-day lineman, too big for soccer or cross country. Like I said, football is his best shot at a scholarship, and he'll need a scholarship to afford to go to school.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,149,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
He can play in the winter (wrestling) and spring (track). I'm saying that he could only play football in the fall.

He's a two-day lineman, too big for soccer or cross country. Like I said, football is his best shot at a scholarship, and he'll need a scholarship to afford to go to school.
It seems like too large a risk for a scholarship. As the players get bigger and stronger, the possibility for life altering injuries increases. Most of the high school football defensive line here did competitive weight lifting and track and field (discus, shot putt) as well.

I'd rather my sons finance their college education (which should be the focus, right?) in a way that leaves their brain tissues intact, but I say that while I'm packing the car to go to a college football game this weekend. So, I guess I'm a hypocrite, but I still think it's playing Russian roulette with our young men.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,858,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It seems like too large a risk for a scholarship. As the players get bigger and stronger, the possibility for life altering injuries increases. Most of the high school football defensive line here did competitive weight lifting and track and field (discus, shot putt) as well.
We are having the same discussion. I played college ball, but my scholarship was academic. Things are different now in terms of the affordability of a good college education, and we can't be sure that he'll be able to get the same kind of aid I got on the academic side. He will be throwing the shot and discus for the first time this spring, but there really isn't any money or opportunity in weightlifting. He is also thinking about mixed martial arts, but the dangers there are definitely as pronounced as football.

Quote:
I'd rather my sons finance their college education (which should be the focus, right?) in a way that leaves their brain tissues intact, but I say that while I'm packing the car to go to a college football game this weekend. So, I guess I'm a hypocrite, but I still think it's playing Russian roulette with our young men.
If I had a way to do that for them, I would. I totally understand about the contradictions. We all like football, but we know it's dangerous. My mind is fine, but my knees are gone. Most of the damage came from fighting sports that I took up after college, though.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now I have been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, harpers about "correlation does not equal causation", but that's pretty close.
So correlation does not equal causation except when it agrees with your hypothesis?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So correlation does not equal causation except when it agrees with your hypothesis?
I said it was close. The information you have been posting is strikingly similar to what the NFL says. Do you work for them?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I said it was close. The information you have been posting is strikingly similar to what the NFL says. Do you work for them?
No I do not work for the NFL. I work at a law firm in Fort Lauderdale.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 PM

362 posts, read 548,981 times
Yes.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM

13,777 posts, read 12,683,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Seriously, I don't get the fear, even for D1 football players. If the risk was SO great, it would have been demonstrated by now. In any given year, there are over 20,000 active D1 football players. 20,000, every year, for many years. I got that number my multiplying the number of d1 programs by the the number of scholarships allowed per team. It might be a low number. If there were so much risk, there would be more documented information on the risk. Again, I'm not saying there isn't more risk, just that it isn't the Russian Roulette game that people make it out to be.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,752,464 times
A local boy just died from a blood clot to the brain. So sad. I'm glad football was not my sons chosen sport. Not sure what I would do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting