Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:12 AM

13,611 posts, read 10,025,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He was a guru to people I know who work (and are otherwise interested) in animation in So Cal. He liked hanging out with young animators and film students. (UCI, - which is near where he lived - UCLA, USC.) He was VERY generous with his time and would speak to film classes. And, I'm sure, liked the adoration of talking with people who grew up with his cartoons and absolutely worshiped him.

I have a friend who interviewed him years ago. (The friend worked for a college radio station and Chuck came in and answered calls from students.) The friend and Chuck became close. I met Chuck through this friend. I'm still in shock at the thought of sweet Pe Pe being thought of as a molester.)
That's totally awesome, Dew. I loved PePe when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 AM

13,611 posts, read 10,025,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really? So ignoring her rejection of him ceaselessly, following her wherever she goes, and when she manages to keep him at bay, holding a gun to his head to manipulate her into coming back is romantic? Not in my book. Not only that but the girlfriend has no words and is usually not given a name.
Nana, the joke was that the love interest was a cat, not a skunk, so PePe was in endless pursuit of the wrong species. The joke was that PePe couldn't understand why she as a skunk wasn't returning his affections.

It wasn't about him stalking her, it was a case of mistaken identity and that PePe was continually making himself look silly because he didn't understand that the object of his affection was a cat, who would never be interested in him.

Because obviously in the skunk world, PePe was a most desirable dude in all his skunkiness. And it was a not so subtle dig at how silly men who are in love can look. Especially French men.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,492,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Nana, the joke was that the love interest was a cat, not a skunk, so PePe was in endless pursuit of the wrong species. The joke was that PePe couldn't understand why she as a skunk wasn't returning his affections.

It wasn't about him stalking her, it was a case of mistaken identity and that PePe was continually making himself look silly because he didn't understand that the object of his affection was a cat, who would never be interested in him.

Because obviously in the skunk world, PePe was a most desirable dude in all his skunkiness. And it was a not so subtle dig at how silly men who are in love can look. Especially French men.
Exactly...Pepe cracked me up as a kid. Did I think this cartoon skunk represented how a man should treat a woman? Of course not, it was a cartoon skunk chasing a cartoon cat around for my entertainment. Even that sadistic Road Runner never made me believe that violence was okay (in fact I always hated the Road Runner, but no kid I know that watched it turned into a sadist.)

I think this is a perfect example of how adults read more into things than a child ever would, which is why I wouldn't censor reading material (or cartoons) based on my own perception.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,013,006 times
Timely article. Many of the books parents think might be too complex or adult for a 5th grader are intended for that very age group:

American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Timely article. Many of the books parents think might be too complex or adult for a 5th grader are intended for that very age group:

American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report
Very interesting article, thanks for posting. It's sad to me that many parents are censoring what their children are reading, and don't realize they are "dumbing down" choices.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,883,695 times
Great thread. Thanks to all of you for your responses. Now I have to go and read that article, Mattie.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,073,809 times
Sheesh! I am so very sorry I touched so many nerves with PePe. I used to love the cartoon when I was a kid, I'm sure the guys who created it were wonderful, talented dudes. But growing up watching it, it always bothered me that he wouldn't leave poor Penelope alone, and I always worried for her when he grabbed her and started trying to make-out with her while she was struggling to get away from him. Maybe that was a bad example though. Sorry! Honestly the whole making fun of French dudes was lost on me when I was a kid.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,264,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
it always bothered me that he wouldn't leave poor Penelope alone, and I always worried for her when he grabbed her and started trying to make-out with her while she was struggling to get away from him.
Maybe you'll be heartened to know that in several cartoons Penelope turned the tables on PePe and was herself the aggressor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting