Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,332,487 times

Advertisements

kids fail less when they know fairlure is part of learning. I always have tried to teach my kids that less than perfect or even failure is what keeps us going to succeed.

Kids Fail Less When They Know Failure Is Part of Learning, Study Finds - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,029,886 times
I'm not sure why this needed a study. It is pretty obvious that learning requires you to fail and try again.

When an infant is learning to walk, he doesn't stop when he falls down, he gets up and tries again. When a preschooler is building a block structure, she may have to redo it if it gets knocked over. The resilient kids are the ones who succeed because they don't let a little failure get them down.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,650,939 times
I don't think it's the kids that have a problem with this, now some of the parents I see do. lol

Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Both of my kids need reminders that part of striving to succeed is failing. One cannot ask milk that has been out too long not to spoil. It is part of milk's nature. One cannot ask humans not to fail.

We try to look on failure as learning opportunities. I share with them times I have failed in the distant or immediate past, what I learned from it... When they fail, provided no reminder is necessary wrt who is responsible which it generally isn't anymore, we discuss what happened, brainstorm what possible lessons there are...

I almost never have to do anything now listen to the report of failure, listen to their brainstorm of lessons and solutions, and comment that they handled that well.

I love failure.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 AM

934 posts, read 1,945,165 times
Is this supposed to be news?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,333,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I'm not sure why this needed a study. It is pretty obvious that learning requires you to fail and try again.

When an infant is learning to walk, he doesn't stop when he falls down, he gets up and tries again. When a preschooler is building a block structure, she may have to redo it if it gets knocked over. The resilient kids are the ones who succeed because they don't let a little failure get them down.
Maybe, but in todays day and age a lot of parents seem to believe taking the failure aspect away from their kids will make life better for them.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Maybe, but in todays day and age a lot of parents seem to believe taking the failure aspect away from their kids will make life better for them.
I agree, I watch this scenario all the time, "Aw, I'm not good at this" and the parent say " yes, you are, look, that's good, and that's good. Child, "no, it's not good", parent, "don't be so hard on yourself, it's good to me."
This is especially true in sports, art and education. I think parents are afraid of hurting the child's self esteem. I've been guilty of this myself, I really have to try to answer honestly but it's a bit difficult sometimes.
If my child doesn't do well I try and say "practice, then you will do better" , instead of trying to find something good in what they've already done.

It's hard to hurt your child's feelings, I admit. But, I don't want them to think life doesn't take work and I want them to feel reward at the end of their goals so I give it my best. They know anyway most of the time when you're lying.

My son was drawing pictures and he says, "I'm just not as good as Lala(his older sister), he knew he wasn't as good but it was hard for me to say he was right. I said, you have your own style but your sister has been drawing a long time, if you keep it up you will drawn better, it takes time. Ouch. He was good with that answer though. It was me who had the hard time saying it, he's little and cute. lol I wanted to say, aw, it's great, you are awesome, kiss kiss kiss kiss.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Both of my kids need reminders that part of striving to succeed is failing. One cannot ask milk that has been out too long not to spoil. It is part of milk's nature. One cannot ask humans not to fail.

We try to look on failure as learning opportunities. I share with them times I have failed in the distant or immediate past, what I learned from it... When they fail, provided no reminder is necessary wrt who is responsible which it generally isn't anymore, we discuss what happened, brainstorm what possible lessons there are...

I almost never have to do anything now listen to the report of failure, listen to their brainstorm of lessons and solutions, and comment that they handled that well.

I love failure.
, you do a great job with that! I love your milk analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting