Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,944,124 times

Advertisements

Do child-led solids introduction and then he'll eat when he's ready, see link:
Borstvoeding.com: kenniscentrum voor borstvoeding - Guidelines for implementing a baby-led approach to the introduction of solid food

My first son would not touch solids until he was 1 yr old. We offered starting at 9 months when he seemed ready, but he was not. My daughter started trying to grab our food at 8 months and was an instant expert at solid food - she will eat anything set in front of her at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,490,397 times
My son wouldn't touch food either until 12 months of age.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 PM

630 posts, read 2,228,698 times
You can pick up a mesh bag, I got it at Ralphs in the baby section. It has a mesh bag with a locking top, almost looks like a pacifier. This way you can stick real food in it, but they don't get the chunks just the flavor. I worked well for my grandson, this way he can try things and we didn't have to worry about him gaging or chocking on anything.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,416,111 times
Good call my granddaughter had one of those also, my daughter felt that she could then give her the needed fruits, she is a great eater now.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:33 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,909,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Thanks, I will check that out later. My computer doesn't seem to want to open it right now.
My first son would not touch solids until he was 1 yr old. We offered starting at 9 months when he seemed ready, but he was not. My daughter started trying to grab our food at 8 months and was an instant expert at solid food - she will eat anything set in front of her at this poinHe's nearly 10 1/2 months now and loves the taste of everything, but we just can't get him to not choke. He will eat tiny pieces of cake or muffin if I put it in his mouth and he loves mashed potatoes and yogurt.[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post

You can pick up a mesh bag, I got it at Ralphs in the baby section. It has a mesh bag with a locking top, almost looks like a pacifier. This way you can stick real food in it, but they don't get the chunks just the flavor. I worked well for my grandson, this way he can try things and we didn't have to worry about him gaging or chocking on anything.
I have one of these and have so far tried a crushed cube of juice to try to help with his tooth pain, worked slightly. I also tried a banana, which he just looked at it VERY unpleased. We will just keep trying

Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Do child-led solids introduction and then he'll eat when he's ready, see link:
Borstvoeding.com: kenniscentrum voor borstvoeding - Guidelines for implementing a baby-led approach to the introduction of solid food

Thanks, I will check that out later. My computer doesn't seem to want to open it right now.
My first son would not touch solids until he was 1 yr old. We offered starting at 9 months when he seemed ready, but he was not. My daughter started trying to grab our food at 8 months and was an instant expert at solid food - she will eat anything set in front of her at this point.
He's nearly 10 1/2 months now and loves the taste of everything, but we just can't get him to not choke. He will eat tiny pieces of cake or muffin if I put it in his mouth and he loves mashed potatoes and yogurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post

I have one of these and have so far tried a crushed cube of juice to try to help with his tooth pain, worked slightly. I also tried a banana, which he just looked at it VERY unpleased. We will just keep trying

SORRY IF QUOTES A LITTLE JUMBLED.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 16,406 times
Hi, I know I'm posting late, but I was searching on google for parenting forums about getting your kids to eat solid foods, and came upon this. I am having the same problem with my son, and guess what--he's 18 months old! He will eat the fruit puffs, juice snacks, 3rd foods and stuff like that, but I'm really tired of having to buy baby food. I am just so ready for him to eat real food! One thing that has been working for me is giving him real food, like chicken nuggets or porkchops that I've cut up into tiny little bites, and letting him feed himself with his fingers. He eats better when he does the independent thing, so I just let him go at it. But he still does not chew his food very well, so I always have to watch him very closely, and he still does a lot of the gagging thing too. It's almost seems like he just doesn't want to bother with chewing, he just wants it in his belly right then, so he just crams food, and then gags...crams, gags, crams.....you get the point. I know it can be frustrating, I've been at that point for awhile now. You really do just have to come to terms with the fact that he'll decide when he's good and ready to try it. I'm seeing progress each day in my little one, so we'll get there............eventually?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:59 AM

I think part of our problem is the lack of teeth to chew with. He's now 10 1/2 months and is now getting his 3rd and 4th tooth. He has been showing a lot of interest in my food recently, so I let him try a small piece and he seems to do ok.

He's now eating small bits of egg without a problem, but I still can't actually say he's chewing it. Actually, the last couple of weeks, he's getting VERY picky with WHAT he wants to eat, even as far as baby food goes. It's very hard work to get him to eat most veggies now (even squash which he used to love) and forget getting him to eat any of the dinners with meat in them.

I guess it's a good thing he's taking vitamins.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,933,924 times
We let my daughter self-feed things like puffs and cheerios at that age. Also pieces of cereal bars. As she got older we gave her different kinds of things, but we always break it up and put it on her tray and let her pick it up and put it in her own mouth when learning. We just give her a few pieces at a time otherwise she would stuff it all in her mouth and not swallow it! She is 16 months now and still only has 4 teeth, so we don't give her things that she really has to chew yet. She's gotten good at things like pasta though. She gags sometimes, but she gets it all up and then goes back for more like she is totally unphased by it.

Remember that gagging and choking are not the same thing. Gagging is just part of learning to eat solids, so it makes sense that your LO would gag while learning. I would just keep trying different things and he will eventually get it. Don't worry yet though, at 10 months his nutritional needs should still be mostly from breastmilk or formula. Solids are still just for practice at this point, and it sounds like that's what he's doing!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM

I know a lot of people give little ones cheerios before they are eating solids, but why don't kids choke on those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting