Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
The typical treatment in someone under 18 is to delay puberty. They then move to hormone treatments around 16 or allow puberty to take its course from there, depending on what the young adult wishes.

I do not see a single thing wrong with this either.
I agree i don't either . I saw an article a year or so back about a german boy who underwent it at 15 to become a girl and she was very happy over it .

Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
I think this is a very complex issue. I found this familiy's journey to be very poignant:

Identical twin boys, one transgender become brother and sister - The Boston Globe

Also the Children's Hospital of Boston Gender Management Service Clinic has loads of information on the subject.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I agree i don't either . I saw an article a year or so back about a german boy who underwent it at 15 to become a girl and she was very happy over it .
If it's who I'm thinking of, I think she's also a german pop star.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Gender identity disorder is a very rare condition. Hormone treatments, not to mention the initial medical and psychological tests, are very expensive and probably not covered by insurance. The article says that gender reassignment surgery (alteration of genitalia) is not done on patients under 18. Is this really a pressing issue? Of the very few children affected with this disorder, do all of them have parents who are willing or able to help them? No. It's not an easy, quick, or inexpensive path to take, so I imagine that any families in that situation know far more about what they are doing than the layperson does.
I agree with this, completely, and with your post in general, Julia.

I have yet to form a hard and fast opinion on this re: children (I am all for adults being able to consent for reassignment surgery and all of the steps leading up to it). On the one hand, the medical treatments (pre-reassignment surgery) involved are serious enough that I wonder what the age of consent should be (setting aside that a child would need the parents' consent for financial reasons alone). On the other hand, I have worked with clients in various stages of gender reassignment, and the distress and pain of living in a body that one feels is mismatched to one's inner self is real, huge and impacts every single facet of life, in a way that as someone who has not experienced it, I can only begin to fathom. IMO, it is very difficult to weigh the psychological distress over one's childhood and adolescence against the medical implications of beginning hormone treatments, etc. young, especially because the amount of data available to guide these decisions are sorely lacking as it is a low base rate phenomenon.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM

869 posts, read 1,495,350 times
Julia is correct. It is not an easy decision and is by no means a cheap or fast solution to a long term issue. I am certain none of these children are treated without psychiatric treatment to ascertain that the child in question is actually suffering from this disorder. Soon drs will be able to pin down the actual brain differences between gender identities so as so better diagnose. I dont think I would institute chemical therapy so young but I think allowing a child to be who they want to be is important to the growth process.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,715,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think this is a very complex issue. I found this familiy's journey to be very poignant:

Identical twin boys, one transgender become brother and sister - The Boston Globe

Also the Children's Hospital of Boston Gender Management Service Clinic has loads of information on the subject.
Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I honestly have no opinion on this, accept to say that this is something that should be left entirely to the discretion of the families and their chosen medical professionals. As soon as issues like this start to be "debated" in the public realm, it invariably draws all types of negative responses the wrost outcome of which would be society making a blanket determination about what's best for a very small and very vulnerable minority.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,298,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think this is a very complex issue. I found this family's journey to be very poignant:

This is not a topic I've researched, but I have read stories as they've come to my attention. From what I've seen, parents see a boy who likes pink and frills, and dresses and dolls, and they think "Girl." Why not just let it be okay for boys to like those things?

I'm not saying this is all there is to it, but it's what comes out in the articles. Girl likes playing rough and hates dolls: must be a boy. Boy likes playing dress-up and wants to be a princess: must be a girl. Why not just let it be okay for each child to have likes and dislikes without trying to make it part of their gender?

At least part of the confusion comes from the roles that we continue to assign to the genders.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
I think there are a lot of ignorant and misguided beliefs about gender in general, which is not a judgment against people's intelligence ... except perhaps the really outspoken ones who are exposed to medical facts yet simply disbelieve them. In my opinion, most people just don't fully understand the complexities of gender. For instance, many people seem to believe that male cross-dressers are gay, that gay people want to (or should) get sex changes, that being a tomboy means a girl is a lesbian, or that gender identity disorders are not real and will be outgrown.

What a complicated, heartbreaking ordeal for families who go through these issues.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This is not a topic I've researched, but I have read stories as they've come to my attention. From what I've seen, parents see a boy who likes pink and frills, and dresses and dolls, and they think "Girl." Why not just let it be okay for boys to like those things?

I'm not saying this is all there is to it, but it's what comes out in the articles. Girl likes playing rough and hates dolls: must be a boy. Boy likes playing dress-up and wants to be a princess: must be a girl. Why not just let it be okay for each child to have likes and dislikes without trying to make it part of their gender?

At least part of the confusion comes from the roles that we continue to assign to the genders.
The thing is that gender identity is more than girls that play rough and boys that like pink. I think that many of us, with normal gender identities had some area where they did not fall into the norm for their gender. I am a fully feminine woman who LOVES football and other physical sports, yet I don't feel that I am a man. I am just a woman that likes things that men usually like.

Gender identity goes down to your very soul and is an all encompassing issue. I agree with Julia who said that the people who are experiencing a gender identity crisis probably know more than those of us who are simply bystanders. The surgery itself is expensive and emotionally draining. I would think that they are in a better position to have an opinion than I am.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Yeah, considering that the topic was NOT about intersexed parents but kids making this choice, you should educate yourself by sticking to the topic. Nice try though.

You are right, smacking my head in disbelief hasn't helped, the left wingers will still remain foolish regardless of the help we try to give them, even when we present their hypocrisies out to them, they cling to their guilt.
You really don't know what you're talking about. Intersected and trangender are pretty much one and the same thing. An intersexed child has outward manifestation of ambiguous gender characteristics. Someone with GID can have the outward signs or they can be internal, undiscovered, or they con be mental. Everyone is different. How GID manifests itself can vary widely.

Intersexed
Klinefelter syndrome
Turner syndrome

Just three examples, but each of those have unlimited variations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.