Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,094,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Oh lord....you are missing the point. I said i used BOTH not one but BOTH as in together.And as i said doing that will just drive the birth rate higher is all.
No, I'm not missing the point. The question you asked was answered. There are many, many things that minors cannot legally do. Some things they can't do even with parental consent. Buying "medicine" should not be allowed without parental consent. By the way, actions have consequences. If you have sex, you can have a baby. People keep trying to make it so that teens can do whatever they want without having to face the natural consequences of their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM

869 posts, read 1,496,511 times
Not sanctioning teens having sex doesnt stop teens from having sex. The simple and short answer is if you dont want them having sex they will anyway. Make them have to go to the dr who can discuss their options, side effects, help them find the right bc for them and how to best protect themselves. Parents dont have to be involved but can be. Teenagers have sex whether you like it or not and lifelong and potentially deadly consequences are not the appropriate consequences for sex. Sex shouldnt be scary or dangerous but dangerous it is. So why not allow a child to protect themselves.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,305,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No, I'm not missing the point. The question you asked was answered. There are many, many things that minors cannot legally do. Some things they can't do even with parental consent. Buying "medicine" should not be allowed without parental consent. By the way, actions have consequences. If you have sex, you can have a baby. People keep trying to make it so that teens can do whatever they want without having to face the natural consequences of their actions.
Yes they do for everyone in the family. By denying the right to take care of yourself all you do is create more of that. It seems like a pricey lesson to teach people.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Not sanctioning teens having sex doesnt stop teens from having sex. The simple and short answer is if you dont want them having sex they will anyway. Make them have to go to the dr who can discuss their options, side effects, help them find the right bc for them and how to best protect themselves. Parents dont have to be involved but can be. Teenagers have sex whether you like it or not and lifelong and potentially deadly consequences are not the appropriate consequences for sex. Sex shouldnt be scary or dangerous but dangerous it is. So why not allow a child to protect themselves.
I agree with this. We arbritarily put age limits on some things that don't really exist. Yes, you can make things LEGAL or ILLEGAL (such as drinking age, driving age, etc) but everyone knows that just stops the people who probably aren't that interested anyway, an makes criminals out of the rest.. for what purpose? Sex is the same.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I was a teen in the 1980s and we had access to birthcontrol, it was called a condom. They're cheap, easy to use, and no negative side effects.
The problem with opening up other forms of birth control without parental consent is you have situations, like mine, where there is medical reason to not prescribe certain types of BC. I took the strongest pill on the market at 18, got pregnant anyway (miscarried) and then developed a blood clot and had a stroke at 19. My doctors will not put me on hormonal BC. Would my dd, seeking BC, tell her doctor all of that? Teens tend to think they're invincible.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,569,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem with opening up other forms of birth control without parental consent is you have situations, like mine, where there is medical reason to not prescribe certain types of BC. I took the strongest pill on the market at 18, got pregnant anyway (miscarried) and then developed a blood clot and had a stroke at 19. My doctors will not put me on hormonal BC. Would my dd, seeking BC, tell her doctor all of that? Teens tend to think they're invincible.
About the worse possible side effect with condoms is latex allergy. But they do make non-latex condoms. Though not as effective at preventing STDs, they're still pretty good at preventing pregnancies,...and some feel much better than latex.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Every person is at risk for that developing however.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Every person is at risk for that developing however.
The risk is higher with a family history. My doctor says my girls should not risk taking hormonal BC. We already know it doesn't work on me and causes blood clots. They are at higher risk both for BC failure and developing blood clots.

And besides, the push should be towards condoms to stop/slow the spread of STD's. I can't see making BC available without parental consent.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
The risk is higher with a family history. My doctor says my girls should not risk taking hormonal BC. We already know it doesn't work on me and causes blood clots. They are at higher risk both for BC failure and developing blood clots.

And besides, the push should be towards condoms to stop/slow the spread of STD's. I can't see making BC available without parental consent.
It already is however in a vast majority of states available without parental consent. I agree about the condoms, however i also like to take my personal health into my own hands when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,982,520 times
Quote:
Do you think it should be all restricted to the point of parental consent, or should teens be allowed complete free access?
Absolutely.
Teens should not have to have parental permission to get birth control.
I don't see it as "stripping away parental rights" I see it as giving rights to humans and their own bodies. Just because someone is under 18 doesn't mean they should have no say, they should have all the say in the world. A 16 year old atheist with uber-religious parents shouldn't have to go by what their parents think when it comes to THEIR body. If they want it to have less periods, lighter periods, help with cramps, help clear up their faces, whatever, they should be able to make that decision.

If you're going to put an age on it then I think if you are under 14 you should have to have permission but 14 is a freshman in high school and 4 years away from being an adult, I think they should be able to walk into a planned parenthood and get birth control no questions asked, besides the medical ones.

Quote:
I was a teen in the 1980s and we had access to birthcontrol, it was called a condom. They're cheap, easy to use, and no negative side effects.
Yeah but girls should be allowed to take care of their own bodies, condoms break, sometimes they aren't put on right, sometimes they slip off.
Birth control does much more than prevent pregnancy too, it clears your face up, some girls experience weight loss, helps with cramps, lightens your period, and lots of other great things.

Quote:
Not all birth control pills work either.
That's no excuse to not try it and use it if it works for you.

Quote:
I'd tell them what my parents told me,...If you think a condom is too expensive or too much trouble, it's much cheaper and less trouble than having a baby. Their problem is they and their parents lack something called "personal responsibility".
yeah but a teenage girl going to buy birth control that is more expensive than a pack of condoms sounds like she is taking personal responsibility. You should always have two forms of contraceptives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Teens 17 and under should be required to have parental permission in order to buy birth control and other contraceptive devices. Just like they need parental permission for anything else.
Not at all. 17? Why not just make it 18 if you're going to be like that?
14 and up should be able to make those decisions with out their parents permission. It's not their parents body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why "won't" they? These supposed grown ups might be suffering from the entitlement generation. Let's just make sure to kiss teenagers poor little bums because they won't be the grown ups that they think they are and holler they are.

Make a baby. Suffer the consequence. It is really a drag that they have to learn that the hard way because their parents did not teach them that all along.
Some teens won't go get it because it isn't made as easy to get as it should be. Condoms should be free, there should be places you can go to pick up some free condoms and girls shouldn't be made to get parental permission to get birth control.

Quote:
Yeah, hormonal birth control fails, too. People under the age of 18 should not have any sort of "free" access to birth control. Parents are having their rights stripped of them left and right, and this is just another case of that. In my state, a thirteen-year-old has to give permission for her parents to see her medical records. That's ridiculous.

I know I don't have a popular opinion on this subject, but it's my opinion.
Yeah, leave the responsibility in the hands of the epic fail parents who bury their heads in the sand when it comes to sex, we should totally punish teenagers who WANT to take that responsibility even though their ignorant parents disagree.

Quote:
What about emancipated minors? Should they not have access either?
Teens certainly should be able to get certain medicines without involving their parents, you have unreasonable and ignorant parents out there, if a teenager wants to take control over their own heath and well being they should be allowed to.

Birth control and condoms is keeping teens from having to face natural consequences? Well then that goes for all the millions of women on birth control as well.

Birth control makes the action of sex not have the consequence of a baby, nothing wrong with that. Women of all ages do it.

If you combined me and TG's incomes, we could support a baby, but I am on birth control because neither he nor I want one RIGHT NOW, in the future yes, now no.

That's the case with millions of other couples, they are together but don't want children yet.

I don't see birth control as escaping the "natural consequences" of having sex, I see it as giving people options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting