Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think most 14 year olds won't put any thought process at all on the things they might need to tell the doctor is why. And while i would be a hypocrite of the highest order for saying so, i really don't think 14 year old boys and girls should be having sex to begin with most of the time. However esp at that age they would benefit from some parental insight.
Haha- I chuckled at hypocrite of the highest order! While I do think that situations where a teen wants to be on BC and the parents are not responsive or hostile to the idea is a big problem, it seems like somewhat of a value judgment re: what the age of consent for prescription BC should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Yes they should! That is part of being a minor! At age 16 or 17... maybe, but not at 14. No way.
No they shouldn't no one should be subjected to beliefs they feel are wrong.
If you are a religious parent and your kid is atheist they shouldn't have to live by religious standards when it comes to their own body.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think 14 is the perfect age.
14 is a freshman in high school.
It's 4 years away from being an adult.
It's a few years into puberty for most girls.
You need to come up with a real reason. We've given reasons that parents should have a say (health history, for one). You don't have a real reason except that it is what you would have wanted. That isn't a reason.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Why 15-16?
Well I agree with LK on this one so I will answer too.

15/16 is about the average age guys/girls become sexually active, whether or not their parents agree with it.
If their parents aren't going to take them then they should be able to take themselves and get birth control so THEY can take responsibility for their bodies and not getting pregnant. Their parents are just going to stick their heads in the sand and think if they don't get it their daughter won't have sex which is wrong, she will.
17-18 actually

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
17-18 actually
18 is an adult anyways and 17 is too old.
There would be less pregnant 15/16 year olds if they could be on birth control without their parents approval.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Why 15-16?
Well I agree with LK on this one so I will answer too.

15/16 is about the average age guys/girls become sexually active, whether or not their parents agree with it.
If their parents aren't going to take them then they should be able to take themselves and get birth control so THEY can take responsibility for their bodies and not getting pregnant. Their parents are just going to stick their heads in the sand and think if they don't get it their daughter won't have sex which is wrong, she will.
Re: average age of onset for sexual activity - I think that makes a stronger argument, in that one could show with stats that there is a need for teen autonomy re: prescription BC. Otherwise it's easy to get into a contest of value judgments, which IMO are not great ways to be making an argument.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
No they shouldn't no one should be subjected to beliefs they feel are wrong.
If you are a religious parent and your kid is atheist they shouldn't have to live by religious standards when it comes to their own body.
At 14 you don't know what you think. A 14 to may rationalize all kinds of things, and try to do things differently than their parents just because they want to be different. A 14 yo is a child, like it or not. At 14 the parents are still in control. There is a huge difference in maturity between a 14 and an 18 yo. That's why 14 yo's are not legal adults.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Re: average age of onset for sexual activity - I think that makes a stronger argument, in that one could show with stats that there is a need for teen autonomy re: prescription BC.
I am not googling stats. Its 9am and I am not awake enough to care right now.
But I still stand by what I have said and IME when I was 15/16 the majority of people I knew were sexually active, my brother and his friends at 15/16 were starting to get sexually active.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
At 14 you don't know what you think. A 14 to may rationalize all kinds of things, and try to do things differently than their parents just because they want to be different. A 14 yo is a child, like it or not. At 14 the parents are still in control. There is a huge difference in maturity between a 14 and an 18 yo. That's why 14 yo's are not legal adults.
They aren't incapable of making decisions either.
14 may still be young but at 14 they know a lot more than we think and are capable of making more decisions than they are allowed.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I am not googling stats. Its 9am and I am not awake enough to care right now.
But I still stand by what I have said and IME when I was 15/16 the majority of people I knew were sexually active, my brother and his friends at 15/16 were starting to get sexually active.
No need to google stats- whatever conclusion the thread comes to, it won't change what goes on in the greater world. I was just thinking more in terms of how to advocate for your position from a public health perspective. Anecdotes don't count in that realm, even if you or I agree with them. I'm thinking along the lines of the difference between saying things should be different and working towards making them different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting