Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wow, well if that happened to you, it's going to be that way for everyone, right?

50% of the sexually active adults in this country will become infected with HPV, and in 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years. That still leaves a large number of people who are infected and will remain that way until treated.

For goodness sakes if you are going to make health decisions for your children, educate yourselves.

CDC - Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) - Virus & Cervical Cancer - Symptoms

HPV infection - MayoClinic.com

Actually, about 70% of sexually active adults have had or have HPV which less than half of that ever turns cancerous.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Nope, not for any of my kids.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Many naysayers say it "promotes" sexual activity in young teens, which is ludicrous. And the rest, I have no idea, except that they are repeating what the fearmongers are saying.

HPV Vaccine: The Science Behind The Controversy : NPR

Sure, some naysayers dont want that vaccine or the vaccine for their children for that reason, but that isnt the reason for all people who choose not to get this vaccine. HPV vacc is only for 4 strains out of the HUNDREDS of HPV viruses and it is not 100% effective even against the 4 strains it is supposed to prevent from occurring in the body. It isnt 100% effective against STDs either. Also, it hasn't been in trial long enough and the side effects studied long enough for me to warrant taking the vaccine myself or having my child take. People are allowed to have different opinions on vaccines and name calling doesn't make ones persons opinion any better than the person they name calling

Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
"We're not talking about something like measels or mumps that spreads easily" SORRY, but I beg to differ.

Physicians For Life - Abstinence, Abortion, Birth Control - The Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Epidemic: Condoms Don't Work (2005)

Medical News:HPV 'Epidemic' Behind Increases in Oral Cancer - in Infectious Disease, STDs from MedPage Today

Thanks for reminding me to make an appt to immunize my young adult sons. All of our young people will benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Yep - been there done that. Went for my routine pap smear and then back every two weeks for surgery and intervaginal chemo.

yep - just fought if off right?

You have ever right to your own opinion but don't play it off like it's no big deal.
Yes, my body fought it off. It is what the body does- it can fight off some viruses when we allow it to. Next time you are at your OB/GYN, ask her/him about how that HPV in fact in many many cases clear up on its own

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Many naysayers say it "promotes" sexual activity in young teens, which is ludicrous. And the rest, I have no idea, except that they are repeating what the fearmongers are saying.

HPV Vaccine: The Science Behind The Controversy : NPR
Well the vaccine isn't just to protect kids when they are young teens.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
That is the most bizarre distortion of statistics I have ever seen. Talk about twisting the numbers about until they seem palatable to you.

50% of the sexually active population will become infected, and of those 5% will have serious consequences. Sorry, but you can't just decide to ignore the 50% who are infected, they're still there, infecting the world, and they will be for 2 years on average.
Not really true. Those who choose monogamous sexually active relationships are not exposed to all the many STD's. The HPV vaccine provides a false sense of safety -- people think the vaccine will prevent all HPV infections and they can go out and have sex with everyone they meet and not have to worry about condoms. They can still get HIV, syphillis, hepatitis C and many other diseases.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
I had HPV, I had an irregular pap. I did the routine paps every 3 months for a year and everything worked out fine. My mother had precancerous cells when pregnant with me. They advised her to terminate her pregnancy because it may get worse. She didnt (thank goodness), after the pregnancy she did the routine checks and fought it off. Now this is definately not an indicator of every person, that would be ridiculous to insinuate. But I will not be vaccinated and wont vaccinate my son or any future daughters because i simply refuse to kill any possible disease my child may ever come in contact with. Our bodies need to be able to create antibodies. If it is something that often results in serious illness or long term negative effects, then I do my research and decide on whether the vaccine is worth the risk But in the case of HPV, the small almost minute strains it combats, not necessarily effectively, if not worth giving my child a new vaccine that does not have a even a generation of proven results and no longitudinal studies of effects for children. Sometimes you just have to let nature take its course. I am not a fear monger and my child has had plenty of vaccines but I dont believe that every germ needs to be killed.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Sure, some naysayers dont want that vaccine or the vaccine for their children for that reason, but that isnt the reason for all people who choose not to get this vaccine. HPV vacc is only for 4 strains out of the HUNDREDS of HPV viruses and it is not 100% effective even against the 4 strains it is supposed to prevent from occurring in the body. It isnt 100% effective against STDs either. Also, it hasn't been in trial long enough and the side effects studied long enough for me to warrant taking the vaccine myself or having my child take. People are allowed to have different opinions on vaccines and name calling doesn't make ones persons opinion any better than the person they name calling
Perhaps you'd like to add the link you copy and pasted that from.

Name calling? What name calling?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not really true. Those who choose monogamous sexually active relationships are not exposed to all the many STD's. The HPV vaccine provides a false sense of safety -- people think the vaccine will prevent all HPV infections and they can go out and have sex with everyone they meet and not have to worry about condoms. They can still get HIV, syphillis, hepatitis C and many other diseases.
I don't really see why it would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.