Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times

Advertisements

These products are so freaking dumb. Trust me, in 3rd grade they pretty much all read on the same level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I don't think you need to spend extra money on a "product" to read with your child. We read to our daughter also since day one. Every night for about 30 minutes, as her wind down time we would read to her. She is 9 years old and is a voracious reader. She is reading at about the 7th grade level at the moment, but to be honest I really don't care about that I'm just happy she enjoys reading.

I am a huge reader so she and I will read our books to eachother sometimes. This is yet another way to spend quality time with her.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
I agree that reading to your child every day is the best thing possible. Most public libraries have story and activity times for kids of all ages. Also just talking to your baby a lot. I found in the grocery store, a great way to keep a young child occupied is to talk, point out things, explain things, even if I just fuss about prices, she was interested and engaged instead of trying to pull things off the shelf and screaming. Trust me, you don't need to spend a ton of money to teach your baby anything.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I agree that reading to your child every day is the best thing possible. Most public libraries have story and activity times for kids of all ages. Also just talking to your baby a lot. I found in the grocery store, a great way to keep a young child occupied is to talk, point out things, explain things, even if I just fuss about prices, she was interested and engaged instead of trying to pull things off the shelf and screaming. Trust me, you don't need to spend a ton of money to teach your baby anything.
Totally agree with you. A public library card and books from dollar bins and discount stores (the big pharmacies tend to have two dollar books) for home, and you're set for every day reading with your little one.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I don't understand why a baby should read in the first place. Let babies be babies! They have so much to learn already!
I too think that reading to them and looking at picture books with them is enough.

Last edited by Sudcaro; 01-27-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 05:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Don't forget the value of experiencing ALL that a book can offer. They make great chew toys. Our board book of Drummer Hoff was chewed to bits.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times
Yeah I already read to her everyday. She LOVES curious george but I thought the commercial of the little babies reading was cute but it does make sense they are just memorizing not actually reading so I think ill pass on it. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
That product makes me fear for proper development of a child, a child probably should be learning the language phonetically, sounding out words, learning the relation of letters to sounds, and understanding that sounds can be strung together to make words, and then words can be strung tohether to express concepts.
Your Baby Can Read is just rote sight memorization, how can that be built on?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I don't know anything about the product, but I have a question. What's wrong with sight memorization? It's how English speakers know that tough, though, cough, and bough do not rhyme. Phonetics certainly have their place, but English does not have consistent phonetics. Quite a bit of our language has to be learned through memorization. You cannot spell through by sounding it out. Memorization is also how people know the difference between through and threw.

The Dick and Jane books, which I remember reading in preschool, relied on memorization and anticipated rhyming. Many of the Dr. Seuss books like Cat in the Hat do also.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know anything about the product, but I have a question. What's wrong with sight memorization? It's how English speakers know that tough, though, cough, and bough do not rhyme.
Phonetics certainly have their place, but English does not have consistent phonetics. Quite a bit of our language has to be learned through memorization. You cannot spell through by sounding it out. Memorization is also how people know the difference between through and threw.

The Dick and Jane books, which I remember reading in preschool, relied on memorization and anticipated rhyming. Many of the Dr. Seuss books like Cat in the Hat do also.

Thanks for clarifying.
There has been a whole language VERSUS phonics debate in the education system since whole language as some kind fun special new educational idea came about when my nephew was in grade school about 25 years ago. As I recall it, whole language instruction began as a response to the rule breakers you give examples of. The two factions were so busy proving the superiority of their method, in my opinion, they missed the fact that instructing in both is the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting