Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I think that a societal 'acceptance' of these things has also made them more apparent.

A man who raped a woman in the 30's and 40's would be hung from the nearest tree - sometimes without a trial. Someone who molested other peoples' children would get a "beat-down" - often to death - again, sometimes without a trial. There wasn't much news coverage of those things, they were simply accepted. Of course, back then 'perversion' wasn't a "sickness" that counselors tried to treat - it was something that no one wanted to admit to or tolerate next door or at the grocery store. In smaller communities it is still done that way - again, no one talks about it. A pervert who was stalking my teenage daughter did it boldly, even told the police who accosted him tresspassing in our yard at 1 AM that my daughter 'wanted it' - and the police said that nothing could be done. So a group of very large firefighter buddies went to his house, and let him know that if he came near my daughter again, only the alligators would know where he was. We never saw or heard from him again... of course he probably found another unprotected teen to harass.

Point is that we excuse and excuse and try to cure or fix or help these "poor people" - and they will cheerfully manipulate the system to get whatever, whomever they want in whatever context they choose - and then deny that they are doing anything wrong, while people look the other way for all sorts of reasons. If you want proof, watch the Sandusky trial unfold... people like this are manipulators, and know full well how to manipulate not only employees but employers, the cops, their neighbors and business associates, as well as their victims. What would have happened if, say, that assistant coach who finally had a crisis of conscience had, instead of walking away, picked up a baseball bat and frammed Sandusky a few times, then called the cops? He would have been fired for not following procedure, and prosecuted for assault...

We allow these monsters to walk among us without repercussion, heaping sympathy and help upon them, and then insist that it is overreaction to try to protect our kids from them.
Holy Moly! However despicable crimes against children are, vigilantism is not much better. Many, many innocent people have been hurt or killed by misguided vigilantes.

Now I'd be the first to state that the legal system could be much better in the investigation and prosecution of crimes against children, but to say "We allow these monsters to walk among us without repercussion, heaping sympathy and help upon them, and then insist that it is overreaction to try to protect our kids from them." is bizarre. Exactly what community are you referring to where this happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Would 911 victims be any less dead if their parents were with them? I am missing this part of the thread.
The point was dying so horrifically and alone. Watching adults crying, praying, calling loved ones to say good bye. There was also a passenger and a flight attendant that had their throats slashed. As parent, if such a horrible thing were to happen then I would want to be there with my child even if that meant I would die too.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The point was dying so horrifically and alone. Watching adults crying, praying, calling loved ones to say good bye. There was also a passenger and a flight attendant that had their throats slashed. As parent, if such a horrible thing were to happen then I would want to be there with my child even if that meant I would die too.
Ahhh. I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
I flew alone as an unaccompanied minor several times. I think I was 8 years old the first time. Prior to that I had been on planes multiple times and knew how to navigate an airport in case I somehow got separated from the airline employee who was supposed to stay with me. The flights were short with no connections.

I wouldn't put a toddler on a plane alone but a school-aged child who is on the mature side it's not a huge deal. In this day of cell phones it is easy for them to call mom and dad if they get lost in the airport and miss a flight.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Right, that is reasonable. Just don't expect your child to be under direct supervision at all times by airline personnel. Because it often does not happen, especially at the holidays. Flight attendants try to do their best. They try to keep all unaccompanied minors together, to keep an eye on them. But, this is true, once I had a flight at Christmas with no less than 18 unaccompanied children on the plane.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right, that is reasonable.
You're confusing me. Here you say that putting an 8 year old on a plane is reasonable. But in the bus thread you said you wouldn't put an 11 year old on a greyhound bus.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:09 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
a 8yo on a plane is going as UM, Someone will be in 'control' of where the child is from the time you hand them over, till they hand them back on the other end.

A 11yo on the bus, in not controled by the bus company. They are just another passenger.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It is reasonable for a parent to assume full responsibilty for a child on a short plane trip.

A bus ride, has numerous stops, and basically no adult supervising the bus, the driver is driving, he does not know what is going on behind him. At least on a plane there is a pilot, and flight attendants.

Plus...there is really a difference in people on a plane, and on a bus. Scary as it is, there are people who actually take buses places now, because of the lack of having to show ID numerous times. Gee, last bus I took, I was 50, and I was scared to death, a guy sat down next to me
He only spoke Spanish, and had a huge knife on his belt. Everyone around me looked like they were either illegal, or came from prison. We stopped at several bus stops, people got on and off, I was not going to use the bathroom on the bus, and the places we stopped looked scary to me. The only reason I was on this bus, is I was going to pick up my son's car, in a remote Army base that was miles from an airport. Never again. Sorry if I sound really snobby, but that was my experience.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
He only spoke Spanish, and had a huge knife on his belt.
The guy to worry about has his knife hidden.

This hombre was probably looking at YOU sideways because you never went to the john. He got to where he was going and told all his amigos about the seat-mate who had a bladder the size of a burro. (And he probably would have carved up an apple for the two of you to share had you been able to converse.)

Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default Not the reality I know

Quote:
It is reasonable for a parent to assume full responsibilty for a child on a short plane trip.

A bus ride, has numerous stops, and basically no adult supervising the bus, the driver is driving, he does not know what is going on behind him. At least on a plane there is a pilot, and flight attendants.

Plus...there is really a difference in people on a plane, and on a bus. Scary as it is, there are people who actually take buses places now, because of the lack of having to show ID numerous times. Gee, last bus I took, I was 50, and I was scared to death, a guy sat down next to me
He only spoke Spanish, and had a huge knife on his belt. Everyone around me looked like they were either illegal, or came from prison. We stopped at several bus stops, people got on and off, I was not going to use the bathroom on the bus, and the places we stopped looked scary to me. The only reason I was on this bus, is I was going to pick up my son's car, in a remote Army base that was miles from an airport. Never again. Sorry if I sound really snobby, but that was my experience.
I don't know what busline you took. I have a 70 year old friend, who does not like to fly, and she takes a greyhound overnight bus when she comes to visit me. She doesn't want to drive the distance by herself. The bus station is very modern and very nice. She could buy the bus if she wanted to. My point is many elders take the bus, your experience is not the norm anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting