Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,768,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Txt, in the case of an adult child living at home who truly covers all their costs to live there, I'd compare it to renting. Someone who rented an apartment month to month without a lease, and endlessly complained about their landlord's policies, upkeep of the building etc. would get the same advice as the OP. Um...move?
Isn't it funny how that advice fits BOTH of the scenarios? As far as I'm concerned, unless a person is paying rent, utilities and the entire cost of their food, they are NOT covering all of the cost of them living there. The last I checked, paying for your own luxuries/conveniences, is NOT covering your "living expenses".

Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,669,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
But you think they should be cooking dinner for their 25 year old son every night? oh the irony.
Their food sucks, they actually ask me to eat with them but when they cook something, it's not food for a younger man. I mostly get my own food or make something.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh pooooorrrrrr baby. How hard life is for you. Got an idea. Why don't you trot on down to the homeless shelter where you will find a lot of young men who don't have to endure all this horror that you do.....because they don't have means, selfish, nasty parents willing to house, feed, and take care of them. Look bucko. I don't know how to break this to you. But your parents will probably breathe a big sigh of relief, have a party, and quickly turn your room into a study as soon as you move out.
They have more rooms in that house then they can vacuum. Ironically I have lived with no food and less than a dollar to go grocery shopping.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your screen name sounds Indian? I was under the impression that respect for elders was important in Indian culture. But let me know if I'm mistaken.
No you're right. That's why I'm venting online. If I had fully American values I'd be gone long ago.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
I've read through all the posts and 90 percent are stating the same thing... if you're unhappy, you're an adult... move out. No excuses (I'm saving for a mortgage free home??)GEEZ... you need to determine what your priorities are.. if you HATE things the way they are and their lifestyle (oh and the housekeeping)... MOVE OUT. No TXT... not because all parents are right all the time (which sounds like my daughter when she was 16)... because the OP's parents pay all the bills and the OP is the temporary guess. If he was PART of the family, he would want to help out with what he can out of being grateful for the free room and boad.

Until you've had an older child move back in, you just do not belive what the extra expenses are....

Carry on and move out
I completely pay for myself, not that this is an issue because they have money to waste and they do waste it.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Just because you still live with your parents doesn't mean that they are taking care of that person.
My mom is NOT taking care of me. I pay my own bills, I buy my own food, I clean my own room, I do my own laundry, I take care of my own car, she doesn't give me money, she doesn't do anything around the house for me. She never cooks dinner when I am home so she doesn't make me dinner anymore.

She can't rent my room out to anyone because she is renting it, and my grandmother pays the rent and the money would go to her anyways.
The cable/internet bill is a solid price each month and wouldn't change if I diconnected my laptop and tv, I don't use the home phone. I don't make a huge difference in the water bill since I take 15 minute showers and most my showers are over at TG's and I am never home and when I do its to sleep and my lights are off so electrictity isn't a huge amount either.

So no just because you live at home doesn't mean that your parents are taking care of you.
You're absolutely right, in fact I didn't even enroll in some pricy university because I didn't want to waste thier money. I ended up not even going to college because I don't want the debt.

I'm actually mad at this baby-boomer generation for all the mess they've left us with the economy and their bad habits. They owe it to us to respect our freedom and support our ambitions. I can't even come home at midnight from work without having to disalarm the emergency system and having it nearly go and they go to bed like an hour before I come.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,084,210 times
Dude, find a support group. Your bellyaching won't go far on a board full of tax paying adults.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,622,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
If I had fully American values I'd be gone long ago.
So staying in the house and being disrespectful, ungrateful, and unappreciative is supposedly better than moving out? Umm, no. And if you think they don't know how you really feel, I'd bet you are mistaken.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,358,632 times
Wahhhh! Grow the hell up! Stop taking advantage of people, especially since you totally disrespect them. One of these days you will totally regret how awful you are acting. Karma has a way of making us face our truths. Move out, move on.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM

175 posts, read 297,605 times
I'm 33 now, not too much older than you, my husband is 32...maybe I just don't understand this, but I was married and bought my first house at 21, had 3 kids by 25...by 18 I had already moved out because I was paying my own bills. My husband lived at home because he was helping to pay his parents' bills.

Am I missing a vital part of this story? Are you disabled or handicapped or something? Why is it that you are still living at home? If it's just to save money then you are using your parents, whom I'm sure have not been asked if you should still be living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting