Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Julia you need to pull out THE STARE for Magritte!
YES YES! We want a youtube video! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My older child (8) has been getting very mouthy with me lately. He rolls his eyes, makes smart remarks, back talks and groans when I tell him to do something. How would you handle this?
Has he got a new best friend?

Sometimes I knew there was a new kid at school before I was told. The new best friend usually talked back, thought he was funny and chewed with his mouth open.

Nip it in the bud Mags. You can do it!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
My little one has tried that, and I just turn, give her the evilest stare possible, and ask her, "What did you just say to me?" That's all it takes. She wouldn't dare repeat it, and straightens herself up immediately.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

What did you just say to me?
LMAO! I love "the look".

Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I remember my mom telling all of us when me smirked, made faces, rolled eyes, while shaking her finger at us, "you better wipe that smirk off your face before I do it for you." Worked every time.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My older child (8) has been getting very mouthy with me lately. He rolls his eyes, makes smart remarks, back talks and groans when I tell him to do something. How would you handle this?

Of course, he is a perfect angel at school!
I always try not to laugh because I remember doing the same thing myself and I know full well what they're thinking.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I remember my mom telling all of us when me smirked, made faces, rolled eyes, while shaking her finger at us, "you better wipe that smirk off your face before I do it for you." Worked every time.
Yes, that one works. I remember my dad saying something to that effect, he probably got it from his dad. My mom would usually curse us by saying she hoped someday we got children just like ourselves and so we did.

It's just funny how time flew - one minute you're the one sitting in the chair rolling your eyes, next thing you know you're the one having the eyes rolled at you.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Well I used the look and "I know you didn't just say that to me". He looked down and said, "Alright." LOL I'll continue with this for a bit and see if it works. I also told both kids for every backtalk or ignoring a direction they commit, I'd take a toy away from them.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:53 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
My little one has tried that, and I just turn, give her the evilest stare possible, and ask her, "What did you just say to me?" That's all it takes. She wouldn't dare repeat it, and straightens herself up immediately.
Mine aren't old enough yet for too much sass but I know we'll get there. Oh goody!

I used to work with teens in therapy, so I was treated to plenty of verbal and nonverbal disrespect and used the "what did you just say to me?" or "the LOOK" along with rehearsing how to "try it again without the attitude/disrespect/insert specific behavior here." Most learned after a few sessions of repeating the same sentence over and over 50 times (with various feedback from me) how to self-monitor and actually say they disagreed or were angry instead of having it leak out through non-verbals. Heck, I know some adults who could use practice on that!! The best part is if they caught me saying something ineffective, they'd also say "let's try that again, shall we?"

ETA: good job, Magritte! Let us know how it is going!
ETA2: actually, I just realized I use this with my 3yo, too. He knows to ask for something he needs to say " may I have...please?" and there have been a few times that he'll scream it at the top of his lungs, all angry (which is usually a cue for me to bite my lip not to crack up, because it sounds really funny!) and I ask him to say it again in his nice voice. So far, we've had success with this.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 12-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Afterthought

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Mine aren't old enough yet for too much sass but I know we'll get there. Oh goody!
You have a 3 year old? Get ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting