Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times

Advertisements

Recently the family got together and we were looking at photos and telling stories of our youth and those of my brother's children. My brother's eldest was quite the precocious child and had a humor that brought me to tears.

Several of his episodes included:

One Christmas he was acting up and my brother gave him a time out in this chair. After my brother left the room, my nephew picked that chair up and moved it over by the rest of us on the sofa, so he could also see the TV - but hey, he was still in the chair. My brother came in the room and saw this and had to leave the room again, so he wouldn't let his son see he was laughing about what he did.

When he was kindergaten and grade school, the teacher would send home a folder to the parents with all their work in it for the week with comments and notes and they had to sign it and send it back. My sister in law was a nurse and got home pretty late and my brother was already in bed, then he heard her just cracking up downstairs and told me, "She must have found the folder." Early in the week the three of them were out to dinner and he just wouldn't settle down and my brother remarked to him, 'Sit down, you're acting like you were raised by a pack of wild animals.' So, when he got in trouble at school, the teacher asked him why he kept acting up in school and his response was, "Because I was raised by a pack of wild animals.'

One morning my brother came downstairs and there was flour all over the floor, covered the living room all the way through the dining room into the kitchen and thought, "WTH?" It seems my nephew got up in the middle of the night and did it on purpose. His reasoning, "If someone broke into the house they would get their footprints as evidence."

Share us your stories....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I told my 10 year old daughter that after dinner, she had to practice piano, do her homework, and take a bath...no time for tv tonight....she looked at me, dead pan...and said "No wonder you are not married any longer"...okay...forget it...you can just go to your room now.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
I was going to perform at a concert in the coming week, my daughter was overhearing me talk to a friend about whom I was inviting to the concert from school, I didn't check to make sure she wasn't listening.
My friend asked if I was inviting my child's teacher and I said no, are you kidding, I can't stand that woman. I didn't realize my daughter overheard me until the next day when her teacher leaned into my minivan and asked if I had any tickets left for my concert and my daughter replied, "Oh no, my mom can't stand you and doesn't want you coming to her concert". After what seemed like two hours of silence her teacher simply said, "Oh, well, ok then," and shut the van door, I of course still couldn't move my lips as they were numb with embarrassment.
I learned a much needed lesson that day and never discussed my personal opinions within kid ear shot again. They actually do pay attention to what you say and repeat it at will. lol She was only 7, yikes! Needless to say the rest of the year was a bit uncomfortable for all of us. I thought I would add that I apologized to the teacher and we ended up being pretty good friends later on. Go figure. lol

Last edited by PoppySead; 11-24-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
my mil recounted a story of her friend who had been seriously ill in the hospital, upon her recovery at the next family get together the 5 year old grandkid announced if grandma died they would get a boat.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
My friend's son is 4 yrs old. He is a really sweet caring kid. My friend was sick and was laying on the sofa. He brought her a blanket and his favorite teddy bear to comfort her. He asked her what was wrong. She told him she wasn't feeling well.

He says, "sooo...what's the matter, you old?"

Old 11-25-2011, 08:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
I was maybe 3 or 4 when my grandfather died and everyone kept telling me he went to heaven. It's all I heard, "Grandpa's in heaven." My mother debated this, but finally decided to take me to the funeral home. We walked in and the foyer was all white marble and white staircases on either side and I was looking up in awe because clouds are white too and heaven is up and then I looked ahead of me and there was grandpa in the casket and as loud as thunder I just yelled, "SO THIS IS WHAT HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE!!!" I mean they said he was in heaven and there he was. My mother turned 50 shades of red.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
On Wed. night, I was busy running around in the kitchen starting Thanksgiving prep and DD7 and her friend were in the living room. I heard DD ask the friend "do you want to play cards or dominoes?" The friend requests dominoes. DD responds back in a completely serious tone "Well, I don't have dominoes so we are going to play cards." I was laughing so hard. Why even offer something that you don't have? lol

Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times
My 3yo god daughter is african american. Im the only white person thats a constant part of her life. So her mother takes her to the store and theres a white woman who has to be about 300 pounds riding around on one of those cart things. So my god daughter runs and jumps in her lap and says JUJU!!!!! Her mom about died. Seeing as I'm pretty fit and no where near the age of this lady. LMAO

Old 11-25-2011, 11:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
These posts are making me literally laugh out loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Early in the week the three of them were out to dinner and he just wouldn't settle down and my brother remarked to him, 'Sit down, you're acting like you were raised by a pack of wild animals.' So, when he got in trouble at school, the teacher asked him why he kept acting up in school and his response was, "Because I was raised by a pack of wild animals.'
This is priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I was going to perform at a concert in the coming week, my daughter was overhearing me talk to a friend about whom I was inviting to the concert from school, I didn't check to make sure she wasn't listening.
My friend asked if I was inviting my child's teacher and I said no, are you kidding, I can't stand that woman. I didn't realize my daughter overheard me until the next day when her teacher leaned into my minivan and asked if I had any tickets left for my concert and my daughter replied, "Oh no, my mom can't stand you and doesn't want you coming to her concert". After what seemed like two hours of silence her teacher simply said, "Oh, well, ok then," and shut the van door, I of course still couldn't move my lips as they were numb with embarrassment.
I learned a much needed lesson that day and never discussed my personal opinions within kid ear shot again. They actually do pay attention to what you say and repeat it at will. lol She was only 7, yikes! Needless to say the rest of the year was a bit uncomfortable for all of us. I thought I would add that I apologized to the teacher and we ended up being pretty good friends later on. Go figure. lol
When my niece would hear her mother's elaborate excuses to turn down an invitation, my neice would call her out on it in front of anyone, "That's not true, Mom. You're lying."

Gotta love kids. Since we knew our sister was a compulsive liar, we enjoyed this immensely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
my mil recounted a story of her friend who had been seriously ill in the hospital, upon her recovery at the next family get together the 5 year old grandkid announced if grandma died they would get a boat.
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My friend's son is 4 yrs old. He is a really sweet caring kid. My friend was sick and was laying on the sofa. He brought her a blanket and his favorite teddy bear to comfort her. He asked her what was wrong. She told him she wasn't feeling well.

He says, "sooo...what's the matter, you old?"
That reminds me of when I was reading a bedtime story to my daughter. She asked, "Why do your hands look old?" I was only 30!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
One of my favorite stories is the day dd#2 decided there is no Santa Claus. She was sitting in the back seat of the car and she said to me "Mom, there is no Santa Claus" and she went on to explain that "...if there really were a Santa Claus, Samantha and I would have gotten coal by now." I couldn't help but laugh.

Another one was when she as 3 and we got the girls bunk beds. Being older, dd#1 got the top bunk and dd#2 was not happy about it. About half an hour after bedtime, dd#2 comes running into the family room, mad as a hornet, and scolds us, finger wagging, saying: " I'm going to be Samantha Marie (her sister)!!!! I'm going to be big!!! I'm going to be BIGGER THAN YOU....ON SUNDAY!!!!" (she thought Sunday was "someday"). and then she ran back to bed... Dh and I just cracked up laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting