Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,766,592 times

Advertisements

I never even used those carriers. I found them to be uncomfortable at best. LOL My "carrier" was my left arm and hip. If I HAD to have my little one "on me" while I cooked, I found it far easier to keep my little ones out of danger, if I had them on my left hip or laying across my left forearm. (hand at crotch, their head by my elbow). Fortunately, I'm extremely large and my little ones fit nicely there! Again, I preferred that method, because it kept them away from the stove, while still being on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,509,212 times
The first baby, you feel guilty taking a shower, because baby cries for Mama...by the fourth baby, you don't hear it quite the same as you do with the first baby.

No, babies can't be spoiled enough...or held enough...or loved enough...or have those little baby toes kissed enough.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,355,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I have a 10 week old baby. ... But it does get annoying whn Im trying to clean or cook.
One more thing: Don't make yourself nuts trying to clean! Yes, you do need to eat. But as long as the Health Department isn't red-tagging your house do not worry about cleaning.

Somebody wrote a wonderful poem about the cleaning being able to wait because there is a baby to rock.

Rock your baby. The dust isn't going to build up that much.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:22 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,206,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One more thing: Don't make yourself nuts trying to clean! Yes, you do need to eat. But as long as the Health Department isn't red-tagging your house do not worry about cleaning.

Somebody wrote a wonderful poem about the cleaning being able to wait because there is a baby to rock.
Rock your baby. The dust isn't going to build up that much.
Is this it?

peaceful parenting: Babies Don't Keep

Quote:
Mother, O' Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek - peekaboo.

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew,
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,685,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

That is such a beautiful poem! Thanks so much for sharing. Thankfully my bf does most of the cleaning He just leaves me with the dishes.

Thanks everyone! I knew even if everyone told me I was spoiling her I would still do it. Before I had my DD I was a firm believer in the CIO method. But when I tried it it lasted all of 45 minutes and I wanted to cry with her lol. I guess it just goes to show you not to judge until your in the position yourself.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Yes! That's the poem. Thanks Dorthy.

I've NEVER believed in CIO. I was taught by a wonderful old Navajo woman. The Navajos don't believe in letting a baby cry. They pick him up immediately. They also carry the papoose everywhere. And, as a people, I don't think you can call the Navajos spoiled.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,694,057 times
No, a newborn cannot be spoiled.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,260,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes! That's the poem. Thanks Dorthy.

I've NEVER believed in CIO. I was taught by a wonderful old Navajo woman. The Navajos don't believe in letting a baby cry. They pick him up immediately. They also carry the papoose everywhere. And, as a people, I don't think you can call the Navajos spoiled.
That's neat! I was taught the same by my own Mom, may she rest in peace. She said she used to rock me in the bassinet with her foot while peeling potatoes.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's neat! I was taught the same by my own Mom, may she rest in peace. She said she used to rock me in the bassinet with her foot while peeling potatoes.
I was very blessed. Sounds like you were too. I had a number of strong, smart women helping me along. (And I myself was a hip baby. On my mother's hip. Not "totally with-it" hip, .)

Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
The Continuum Concept - Defined

Quote:
According to Jean Liedloff, the continuum concept is the idea that in order to achieve optimal physical, mental and emotional development, human beings — especially babies — require the kind of experience to which our species adapted during the long process of our evolution. For an infant, these include such experiences as...

constant physical contact with his mother (or another familiar caregiver as needed) from birth;
sleeping in his parents' bed, in constant physical contact, until he leaves of his own volition;
breastfeeding "on cue" — nursing in response to his own body's signals;
being constantly carried in arms or otherwise in contact with someone, usually his mother, and allowed to observe (or nurse, or sleep) while the person carrying him goes about his or her business — until the infant begins creeping, then crawling on his own impulse, usually at six to eight months;
having caregivers immediately respond to his signals (squirming, crying, etc.), without judgment, displeasure, or invalidation of his needs, yet showing no undue concern nor making him the constant center of attention;
sensing (and fulfilling) his elders' expectations that he is innately social and cooperative and has strong self-preservation instincts, and that he is welcome and worthy.

In contrast, a baby subjected to modern Western childbirth and child-care practices often experiences...

traumatic separation from his mother at birth due to medical intervention and placement in maternity wards, in physical isolation except for the sound of other crying newborns, with the majority of male babies further traumatized by medically unnecessary circumcision surgery;
at home, sleeping alone and isolated, often after "crying himself to sleep";
scheduled feeding, with his natural nursing impulses often ignored or "pacified";
being excluded and separated from normal adult activities, relegated for hours on end to a nursery, crib or playpen where he is inadequately stimulated by toys and other inanimate objects;
caregivers often ignoring, discouraging, belittling or even punishing him when he cries or otherwise signals his needs; or else responding with excessive concern and anxiety, making him the center of attention;
sensing (and conforming to) his caregivers' expectations that he is incapable of self-preservation, is innately antisocial, and cannot learn correct behavior without strict controls, threats and a variety of manipulative "parenting techniques" that undermine his exquisitely evolved learning process.

Evolution has not prepared the human infant for this kind of experience. He cannot comprehend why his desperate cries for the fulfillment of his innate expectations go unanswered, and he develops a sense of wrongness and shame about himself and his desires. If, however, his continuum expectations are fulfilled — precisely at first, with more variation possible as he matures — he will exhibit a natural state of self-assuredness, well-being and joy. Infants whose continuum needs are fulfilled during the early, in-arms phase grow up to have greater self-esteem and become more independent than those whose cries go unanswered for fear of "spoiling" them or making them too dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting