Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times

Advertisements

Im really surprised nobody has brought this up but its pretty evident to me at least this kid is tying to buy his dads love or at least buy time with his dad.

For this reason im much more sympathetic. Its not like he bought an xbox or took a vac he could afford to vegas with buddies to snort coke and bang hookers he was trying o buy sum time with his father which makes sense why he wouldnt make a logical decision when ovetal he seems pretty responsible and logical from what his mom says

Your son works and with 2 pt jobs im assuming at a low wage so im sure he realizes thats about 100 hours of work for about 3 hours of fun but its time with his dad and thats why he did it.
Im reading into this so may b wrong but it seemed like part of the reaso mom wad angry bc he was spending money on dad and his new wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Im really surprised nobody has brought this up but its pretty evident to me at least this kid is tying to buy his dads love or at least buy time with his dad.

For this reason im much more sympathetic. Its not like he bought an xbox or took a vac he could afford to vegas with buddies to snort coke and bang hookers he was trying o buy sum time with his father which makes sense why he wouldnt make a logical decision when ovetal he seems pretty responsible and logical from what his mom says

Your son works and with 2 pt jobs im assuming at a low wage so im sure he realizes thats about 100 hours of work for about 3 hours of fun but its time with his dad and thats why he did it.
Im reading into this so may b wrong but it seemed like part of the reaso mom wad angry bc he was spending money on dad and his new wife.

Actually, I said that on my first post on the thread, and our OP seems to feel the same way

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post

Am I doing the right thing by cutting the money off? What say you?
Yes.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Possibly, but in my son's case, it was never open.

It may sound harsh, but I've always believed that children should never get everything they want.
I don't believe anyone else here has said that.

Quote:
They have to learn that it's a hard world, and sometimes we are disappointed. Also that we should never rely on others.

When we want something, we have to work for it, it makes it much more treasured to us.
And that is no different than how I feel. The fact that I am paying to put my son through college does not change that. For what it's worth, my son was offered a full free ride at a local university. Yep. FOUR years....free. We could have taken that...and if I had felt that I couldn't have managed anything else, that is where he would have gone. But he was also accepted into a very competitive, top-notch school, that would offer a much more exciting and challenging college education, and that is what WE chose. He knows that I am sacrificing for him, and really, he asks for very little. He is excelling at school...focusing on exactly what he knows he needs to, and I'm very proud of him, at least so far.

And THAT is my basis for my response to the OP.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-17-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
Well, thanks for clearing that up, however, I didn't question your response to the OP, you questioned mine.

And ironically enough, it was me who was accused of going off topic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And THAT is my basis for my response to the OP.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Well, thanks for clearing that up, however, I didn't question your response to the OP, you questioned mine.

And ironically enough, it was me who was accused of going off topic !
Well you missed my point, obviously. No matter.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 AM

I understand your point fully, thank you.

You choose to put your son through education, I choose not to.

It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Quote:
Well you missed my point, obviously. No matter.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I understand your point fully, thank you.

You choose to put your son through education, I choose not to.

It's not a hard concept to grasp.
Um...no. Apparently I didn't make my point very well.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times
I do feel like my son was buying time with his dad. I think I even mentioned that, However, being jealous of that time is not a factor at all. I'm much older than that, and certainly not that immature.

Loves, I am going to wait, prolly like I said to the first of next week...I appreciate everyone's opinion and taking the time to reply, it's tough when you have to turn up the heat on your children, and I know it's for his own good, I am proud of all my kids(step children to b included) Having said that, I think it's important to rememeber that as parents we aren't raising children, we are supposed to be raising adults. I want them to be prouductive, self-sufficient and happy.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM

In all fairness, and as ignorant as it may sound, it really doesn't matter whether I understand your point or not.
I am not debating your point, or your opinion.

Quote:
Um...no. Apparently I didn't make my point very well.
Neither of us is wrong, we have the same result at the end of the day, we both have kids we are proud of. We just may have achieved it by different routes.

What's important is that the OP understands what we are talking about.
Some good advice has been given on the thread, most of it saying exactly the same thing, but from different angles, and different motives.

The OP has debated points, and has hopefully learned something from the whole experience, and the advice given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting