Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
One can be a moral atheist or an immoral Christian. Religion really doesn't have anything to do with this.
If they are a true Christian, in that they follow the ways of Christ (as their belief tells them to), then yes, morality is automatically a part of it. If they acted immoral or evilly, then they would not be a Christian, regardless of what they might call themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If they are a true Christian, in that they follow the ways of Christ (as their belief tells them to), then yes, morality is automatically a part of it. If they acted immoral or evilly, then they would not be a Christian, regardless of what they might call themselves.
Best example of "no true Scotsman" ever.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Best example of "no true Scotsman" ever.
*Sigh*...what fault have you found with what I'm saying this time?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We teach that people need to learn how to live together and to always give more than you take. No religion involved here.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

I am curious. When your kids ask you WHY, what do you tell them? Why do I have to share? Why can't I be mean to my sister? Why don't you cheat on your taxes if you are not going to get caught? Not safety issues, that is obvious. Religious people, do you tell them because God says so? Do they accept and agree with that explanation?

I am working through what I think of this. Thanks.
"Because I said so"

We use a french version that I can not spell (Pasque Je le dee)

Old 11-16-2011, 05:41 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
My father raised my sister and I with values, consequences and the concept of taking responsibility for our actions. We were not in a religious household.

When my sister was a very young child, she wanted a pack of gum in the store. She was told no. When my father wasn't looking, she swiped a pack of gum and put it in her pocket. The gum was discovered later at home, and she had to explain herself. Not only did she get in big trouble at home, but .. my father marched her right back to the store where she had to give the gum back and explain to the manager why she took the gum and why it was wrong. Humility is a humbling experience for a young tot. This lesson stuck with her for life.

One of my father's favorite sayings growing up was "The problem with telling lies is remembering which lie you told to who." This used to come up if he caught my sister or myself in the middle of a non-truth. Again, humility is a very humbling experience growing up. And, finding out and knowing you are busted and you aren't going to talk your way out of the issue, this creates a fork in the road - do what is right, or dig yourself in deeper.

We learned to be resourceful and frugal, take only what you need and leave some for others. My grandmother was a huge influence with this. She would allow us to cut up and dish out desserts or treats, and if we cut into unfair portions (giving ourselves the bigger portion), she would call us out. This concept rolled over into many other parts of our childhood.

Of course, we were also taught to treat those how we wanted to be treated. If one of us were out of line, we were questioned - how would we like to be on the receiving end?

Having a child own up to his/her own actions goes a long way in teaching values. It is the parental unit's responsibility to lead by example, and then hold children accountable.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I was immoral LONG before I became an athiest.

Wait - what was the topic again?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Religion and morality are not mutually inclusive. One can exist without the other.
Absolutely

Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I was immoral LONG before I became an athiest.

Wait - what was the topic again?

Oh, my goodness I love people who are honest. And make me chuckle.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Interesting discussion. As others have already shared, we're not a religious family but we are very moral. Even if I were religious, I would want my children to learn more than "because God says so." IMO children need to be taught a much deeper understanding of morals than that. They need explanations, not mere orders. Most things can be easily explained by "treat others as you would like to be treated." It's a basic moral concept, not merely a religious concept.

My son recently shared an intellectual discussion he had with a religious friend a few years ago. His friend believed he should do things to please God. My son told him that he felt that was hypocritical. He explained to his friend that we should do things because we personally and intellectually embrace the right thing to do, not simply because God instructs it. He friend was impressed. The discussion inspired his friend to intellectually consider his position on issues instead of simply going through the motions. He became closer to God by fully forming his beliefs as his own instead of simply following "because God says so."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting