Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,142,046 times

Advertisements

I'd say part-time work for your wife if possible. If you wait too long, you start to rely on that person home and it's kind of hard to break back into working. (I'm in this situation).
However, with only one income, it's rough to have money for extras. We have not had a second car in 12 years and I am the one (along with my son who cannot do extra activities or anything in summer) suffering.

I am glad I was there for him as a stay home mom but I also feel I have sacrificed so much. I am basically housebound and my confidence is not very good these days, even with moving to a new place.

I'm very well educated and find 'staying home' now he is in school full time a drag but again, daycare and babysitters cost too much.

We're going to try working separate shifts now so someone will be home for our son and so I can work again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 AM

273 posts, read 1,759,353 times
If you can stay home, do so.

I wish I could have stayed home, but I'm a single parent. I was able to stay home with my son until he was a year old. I used to cry every day when I took him to daycare.

On the other hand, I remember my mom being there when we got home from school. She baked cookies with us, did crafts with us, made sure we got on the schoolbus in the morning. She went back to work when I was 14.

I don't remember being poor, although my parents say they had little money at the time. You will find a way to pay for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting