Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,305,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
4 is not early. My daughter is in her second year of preschool and has known all her letter sounds for a year and we've attended two preschools in two different states; both teach at the same pace. She can sound out easy words and is able to read a lot of words as most of her 4 year old classmates can. Knowing letter sounds is instrumental to reading, that's the place to start.
just to clarify for the OP, I didn't mean it was early to learn letter sounds. I meant it was early to learn to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,861,114 times
My DD is in first grade. While she knew some words (she could read the Stop sign), she wasn't "reading" before Kindergarten. She picked up quite a few words along the way, and was getting the basics from reading with me and from using her Tag Pen. That was great because DD could "read" all day long, but I couldn't. I had to do other things like cleaning and working. lol. You could have the Tag just read the pages, or change the setting to each word as the touched it. Her favorite setting was where you touch the word with the pen and it sounds out the word. We also brought it along on longer car rides where I knew I would tire of reading every sign to her that we passed.

Kindergarten is the year that she (and most of the kids in her class) just blossomed with reading. It is an amazing thing to see your child just reading straight through a book with very few pauses and understand what they are reading when just a year earlier they only knew a couple of sight words.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,056,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
Is it early? i thought he should know before preschool?
Kids should not be rushed. If he is interested, you can go ahead, but it's not necessary. Most kids do not learn in the US until kindergarten and many do not really learn until first grade.

If he is interested, you can start with Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics

The website begins with the letter sounds and uses songs. It has simple stories to read with the sounds and simple games to play. It can progress to more difficult reading as he is interested and he can go at his own pace.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM

123 posts, read 202,944 times
Thank you so much for your responses. I am really not trying to rush him, he just seems ready. I commend teachers who teach children to learn everyday. It seems like a long process and i just wanted to get him started early

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,506,544 times
The Leap Frog letter magnets are a great way to help a child lean their letter sounds... I can still hear the singing in my head; " the s says sssss, the s says "ssss". Lol!

It is amazing how quickly they learn once in Kindergarten with their reading! Going in with the basics and some sight words won't hurt him, but no need to worry or rush

Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM

45,847 posts, read 61,256,164 times
As others have said don't force it. If he's picking out words now that's a really good sign.

Maybe connect things like if he knows the word "in" see if he can recognize "it". Stuff like that. When you're driving does he pick out words on signs like "Exxon" (picks that up from TV)?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM

812 posts, read 1,915,715 times
Letterland is great way to learn the sounds and my kids LOVE the Leap Frog letter factory. My son wasn't pushed to read in Pre K but he started picking things up on his own. That isn't very normal for most kids.

We are in K now and he started out with a bang and reading but he is the ONLY one in his class of 19 that is doing what he is with his sight words etc...

A lot of preschools use Letterland and we got the Leap Frog videos from our local library

Letterland | Child-friendly phonics

http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/ju...oys%3Acat80050

Last edited by alise007; 11-11-2011 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM

26,328 posts, read 94,044,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaber2Alaska View Post
My son is 4 and has a firm grasp on the alphabet. We are ready to move on to learning to read before he starts pre-k next year. He has never gone to daycare or anything and i am completely in charge of his education at this point. Do any of you have any advice about how to even start?
Have him register for City-Data Forum. He'll be the best reader and best writer amongst five year olds next year.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,345,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have him register for City-Data Forum. He'll be the best reader and best writer amongst five year olds next year.
Jgdng by sum psts tha r bscly txt msgs I sa hed b btr.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,617,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jgdng by sum psts tha r bscly txt msgs I sa hed b btr.
Ur funy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting