Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times

Advertisements

My sons friend is being home schooled because his mother was upset. Here is the situation my son and his friend got in trouble at school, nothing major, a food fight basically. My son got OS ISS and his friend got ISS, for three days. I was fine with the consequence, they need to learn from their mistakes. The other boys mother was so enraged about the ISS, she pulled him out of school and is now going to home school him. Talk about over reacting. The mother is keeping her first grader and kindergartner in school. I feel that she is using her sons situation for her benefit. She is recently seperated and laid off, her son has been telling us how his mom wants to spend every minute with him and he said she has become anti social, not leaving the house too much. Now that he is being homeschooled, its only been two weeks, they talk about all the fun they are having. This boy stays up late playing video games, sleeps until he feels like getting up and they go out for lunch everyday. He hasn't done any school work yet. This is my sons best friend and his mother and I have gotten to be friendly over the past few years. She seems a bit erratic in her thinking, from other things she has done and now I do not think this is in his best interest. We a torn over this situation, I am thinking I don't care to have my son over there as much as he usually is. My son talks about how cool his friends life is now and I tell him, it looks cool now, but when her temper cools down, I think they are both going to regret this situation.
What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
It would help to know how old the boys are. Are you asking what you should do in regard to your son, or the other boy?

From what you have written, I don't see any reason to keep the boys apart. Since your son is attending school, it wouldn't be during the school day anyway.

If you are asking if you should get involved in the other parent's beef with the school, no. The requirements to home school in MN don't look too stringent. If the instructor has a baccalaureate degree they don't even have to submit to any assessment tests. It is probably not in the boy's best interest to screw up his education, but the parent does have that right.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
What would you do?
I'd mind my own business.
Her decision to home school has nothing to do with what you or I think....

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I'd mind my own business.
Her decision to home school has nothing to do with what you or I think....
Her question is in regard to her son. Didn't your read the post?

I don't see any harm in your son visiting his friend, unless mommy really goes bonkers. I suspect she now sees her son as her psuedo husband. Poor kid.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
My sons friend is being home schooled because his mother was upset. Here is the situation my son and his friend got in trouble at school, nothing major, a food fight basically. My son got OS ISS and his friend got ISS, for three days. I was fine with the consequence, they need to learn from their mistakes. The other boys mother was so enraged about the ISS, she pulled him out of school and is now going to home school him. Talk about over reacting. The mother is keeping her first grader and kindergartner in school. I feel that she is using her sons situation for her benefit. She is recently seperated and laid off, her son has been telling us how his mom wants to spend every minute with him and he said she has become anti social, not leaving the house too much. Now that he is being homeschooled, its only been two weeks, they talk about all the fun they are having. This boy stays up late playing video games, sleeps until he feels like getting up and they go out for lunch everyday. He hasn't done any school work yet. This is my sons best friend and his mother and I have gotten to be friendly over the past few years. She seems a bit erratic in her thinking, from other things she has done and now I do not think this is in his best interest. We a torn over this situation, I am thinking I don't care to have my son over there as much as he usually is. My son talks about how cool his friends life is now and I tell him, it looks cool now, but when her temper cools down, I think they are both going to regret this situation.
What would you do?
Do? Nothing, what could you do? To each their own.

This will not be the last time some other families decisions seem cooler, more fun. or something than your own. OTOH cutting your child off from his friends is sending the message we cut off people who are struggling, probably not a message you mean to send. If your child is young, it is one thing but if he is an older child you are likely picking the wrong battle.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,650 times
yup, carry on as per usual

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I don't think there's anything you can do except to realize that filing for divorce puts most people into a form of temporary insanity. Let's hope that this doesn't last long.

I will say this--I used to homeschool my daughters and sometimes I would get calls from parents who were thinking about doing it themselves and they would ask me about it and about curriculums and such. I had a really good method for figuring out which ones were going to have kids dropping into lower grades when they went back. You guessed it--the angry ones. The successful ones were the ones who asked about how you know they're learning and how to choose the best curriculum and the angry ones just wanted to vent. I once helped a man keep from getting his kids taken by DFS after they called me and I was able to tell them that he was serious and that he had asked all the right questions and when his kids went back to school they were two grades ahead.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,500 times
Nunyourbizness.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,818 times
As a homeschooling parent myself... I would mind your own on this !! I homeschool 2 of my boys right now because it works for us. My dd goes to school because she presented a powerpoint presentation and essay to me as to why she wanted to go to school which 99% was to socialize (she is 11)... My children all exeed the norm on standardized testing and my 10 year old is doing college level math..They all tested as "gifted" also at their previous school but the school could not afford a gifted program... The principal wanted my son to skip grades, etc, because they did not have qualified teachers to meet his needs... So I was finally fed up enough to homeschool.. I wouldn't like it if people stuck their nose into what I am doing with my own children as far as school!!! Whether or not the woman that you are talking about will regret her decision someday or not, it really isn't anyone's business.. She may decide to enroll her kids back into school someday..who cares?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I'm guessing that there is probably a whole lot more going on here than you are aware of, OP. The fact that this mother pulled only one son for homeschooling suggests that she doesn't really have issues with the public school, she just doesn't think public school is a good fit for this one son.

Lots of people come to conclusions like this for lots of different (and perfectly valid) reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting