Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 PM

73 posts, read 334,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The sad part of this story is the obvious poor parenting the kid has lived with. Who cares about a SNAKE? People who have snakes for pets are screwed up in the head in their own right, as are owners of pit bulls.
This quote baffles me. You say the sad part is the poor parenting the kid has lived with. Agreed, but then you say that people who have snakes and pit bulls as pets are screwed up... ? You make such a generalization here, but by saying so you also contradict yourself. Look at the media attention Vick has been getting for the dog fighting (pit bulls). It's bringing to light that this is actually a wonderful breed, loyal and good with children too (read any dog breeding sight). It does come down to THE OWNER and how they are raised is what causes them to be troubled, violent, etc. Dogs that are trained well DO know right from wrong. Dogs that are loved, know how to love back. Same goes for children. (BTW, I don't have a snake or a pit bull. (I have a lab/pointer/mix and two cats).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:48 PM

159 posts, read 356,492 times
Angry What an incredibly ignorant thing to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The sad part of this story is the obvious poor parenting the kid has lived with. Who cares about a SNAKE? People who have snakes for pets are screwed up in the head in their own right, as are owners of pit bulls.
While you are entitled to your opinion, I have to say that what your wrote make you look incredibly ignorant. That is exactly the kind of thing I would expect someone who has absolutely no first-hand or personal knowledge of the breed to say.

If you actually were to try and educate yourself about pit bulls, you would know that they actually scored higher (i.e. better) on a temperament test than black labs and poodles did. You are exactly the kind of person who would support banning pit bulls because they are "a dangerous breed" rather than realizing that it's the owners that make them that way.

Dogs, and other animals for that matter, are no different than children in that they are nothing more than the result of their upbringing and their environment.

As for the kid and the father in this story, they are another fine example of how people today have a serious problem with taking personal accountability for their own actions.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:01 PM

231 posts, read 848,917 times
Wow,

I sincerely had no intention of starting a thread this devisive. It was mostly a knee-jerk reaction to my frustrations with the general lack of accountability in society today.

I never considered the fact that the child might have a disability or that he might be acting out due to abuse he was suffering. Those are certainly possibilities.
I was simply thinking about how spoiled many children are today and how much they get away with because their parents are too lazy to put their foot down.

Aside from raising my husband's children from a previous marriage, I have raised two of our own and I have first hand experience in dealing with children who have been extrememly indulged. It was from this perspective that I judged the article.

I hope that everyone will try to be as understanding of the other posters, who are also judging from their own experiences, as they are of the child in this article.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,191,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
.....and then I would have smacked the dad.

Seriously, I am not a huge proponent of corporal punishment. I do however recognize that without serious consequences some people will never learn.

This is just something beyond my comprehension

Boy really really doesn't like snakes... - Yahoo! News (broken link)

If I didn't do the link right, just google snake killed by boy
OMG! That is unbelievable! Who does that?! The hubby and I own our 3 APBTs, which by now, most people on here probably already know! lol! But we also own one snake right now and we use to have two more! Right now we own a ball python named Jax (my home town is Jacksonville Fl and I miss it there so much, so I had to name my snake Jax or Duval! lol! Jax just sounded way better! ). He is still pretty small, about 3 feet right now, but he is also still really young and has a lot more growing to do! We use to own another ball python, Roxy. Roxy was my baby! She was so tiny when we first got her, not even a foot long and she was the sweetest thing! I would just let her hang out with me on the sofa when I was watching tv! She died after eating a sick mouse from the pet store! I was so mad and absolutely heart broken! I didn't know what was going on! She was our first snake and she just started doing all of these crazy things, she was definitely miserable! By the time we got her to the vet, it was too late! I lost it, I was just as sad as I would be if I lost one of my pups! We also had a 6 foot boa! Once he got that big (and he was still going to get a lot bigger), we really couldn't take care of him as well as he needed, so we had to find him a better home. Neither of us wanted to, but it was what was best for him. He was an amazing snake though and so beautiful!... Wow, if that was my child.. well, I'm not even going to get into that! lol! Obviously this child needs some serious help! Therapy, meds.. the works! I feel bad for the women that he ends up marrying one day and his children, if he ever has any! Children like that grow up to be horrible, horrible, horrible people! I really don't even know what to say, except that this child obviously needs some serious, serious help right now if he is ever going to even have a chance to be anywhere normal!

This is Roxy..

This was our boa.. he didn't really have a set name, we just called him big boy!
Moderator cut: image removed

and I don't have a good picture of Jax, but he looks exactly like Roxy only bigger.

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 03:07 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,103,066 times
Quote:
I was simply thinking about how spoiled many children are today and how much they get away with because their parents are too lazy to put their foot down.
Then say "OMG - I would have beat the parents of this child..."

It's clearly because of poor parenting that this occurred. While the child was wrong, can you really BLAME A 5 YEAR OLD, if he's the product of inefficient and lazy parenting?

I have 3 children, and while they are not perfect, nor am I as a parent - spanking, intimidating, beating, abusing has never been an issue. Violence is NEVER an answer.

You can still have well disciplined children who respect beings and rules - without having to resort to physical altercations to get some sort of point across. Simply, THAT is lazy parenting...

Old 08-25-2007, 01:55 PM

841 posts, read 4,850,927 times
In response to 'go phillies',
you didn't read my post clearly. The spider was on the OUTSIDE of our house. As far as I know, spiders don't carry diseases or destroy houses. It was a 'writing' spider...the same one as written about in Charlotte's Web. We always let those hang out where they develop their webs because it's a great education for our kids. We usually have 2 or 3 of them living in our bushes this time of year. My kids see the egg sac formed, then three months later hundreds of babies are born and you can see them all over the grass. Most don't survive. You may consider this gross. We don't.
The boy who I sent home has a history of disrespecting animals. I've also seen him throw sticks at the geese who frequent the neighborhood pond. You or my neighbors may think I'm nutty. Who cares? The only thing that matters to me is that my boys respect others.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,103,066 times
Quote:
I sent a five year old neighbor boy home one time for squishing a spider he found outside of our house.
From a once vegan because of the ethical standpoint, that's a bit over the top.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:38 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,385,077 times
A child, knows its wrong to kill, this child is beyond spoiled, evan though he is still responsible for his actions he needs a lot of help

Old 08-25-2007, 05:30 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,380,403 times
This kid and his parents need some discipline and some help. We can't keep our kids home all the time and away from the public. We need to teach them how to BEHAVE in public. So many parents now, for whatever reason, do not take the time to teach their children how to behave. How to act. What is acceptable behavior and what is not. Children are a blessing. I truely believe this. But raising them right is a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. We brought these children into the world and it is our responsiblility to teach them how to behave! If my child would have done this (which I cannot imagine any of them would!) I would have made them apoligize, made them look at the snake to see the consiquences of their actions (look what you did! You HURT that snake!), and they would have been punished severely for their actions!
Yes, hurting animals is a sign of psychological problems. Obviously these parents have no idea what they are doing and they need to get some help with their parenting inadequecies before the kid is working on becoming a serial killer!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,648,331 times
First of all it is a horrible story. No living being should ever have to be treated that way. But, before some of you decide that this is the actions of a spoiled, normally developed child, I can sleep pretty well assuming that it isn't, and the only one to blame is the parent that walked away from the scene of the crime.....

Mental Health: Mental Illness in Children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting