Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,987,193 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a 30-year-old wrote it, and claimed to be 15 because he thought it'd make better drama.
In short, a 15-year-old mind whining about 15-year-old minds.

Not impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,705,148 times
It's just a teen who doesn't quite fit in and is insecure about that, so feels the need to belittle everyone else. Hopefully he/she will mature over time.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I would say.. "And you forgot to add - 'Get Off My Lawn!!'".

Sounds just like my teenage years, ahem, 30 odd years ago. Nothing much has changed, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was thinking the same thing. As far as I can see, teens haven't changed much over generations. They just dress differently.
Agreed. I think Plato said something much the same.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,511,185 times
Sounds like the 15 year old has a stick up her butt and thinks she is so much more mature than her peers. I hated kids like that when I was a teenager.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,282,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I am on my ipod so I can't post links but I will quote it.

"As a 15 year old myself, I am absolutely disgusted with the behavior of most teenagers today.

Instead of studying, almost all they do is waste time and smoke reefer with their stupid skater buddies. They listen to the trashiest "music" (i.e., Lady GAGa, Little wayne, and Nicky Minage vs Heifetz, Rubenstein, Kogan, and Oistrakh) and read the trashiest "books" (Harry Potter and Twilight vs Crime and Punishment and The Red Badge of Courage), play the most awful games (Gears of War and Halo vs Chess and Weiqi), and emphasize sport and friendship over a good education. Furthermore, the lot of them not only lack discipline, but completely lack the skill of logical deduction. They worry about worthless inanties such as which clothing store to shop at instead of worrying about their study habits. In public schools, most of them become sexually active at fourteen (or younger!)! To top it off, the kind of mathematics they do is, frankly, baby work. Advanced classes mean nothing, they are still too easy. Plus there is too large an emphasis on "individuality" and "diversity" when that means nothing inside a classroom or job.

Will someone please explain to me why teenagers are so pathetic these days? I am dying for an answer."

As a teen I have words for this person lol! what would guys say to this? any thoughts
I would not waste my breath on a reply.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,543,160 times
My first answer: "Because they judge other people much in the same way you're judging them."

I can understand their frustrations (cause I was in the same boat, in the sense of having vastly different interests from most of my peers, as a teen) but I also think this teen is seeking a way to feel better than everyone else. I used to get annoyed because people (usually adults) would assume the things I'm interested in instead of just asking me. But there's a difference between that and thinking you're better cause you're not into the same things. I didn't care that other people were into video games and sex, I just knew that I wasn't. But if that's what they were into, more power to them. I might add: many adults love video games and sex too.

"The kind of math they do is baby work?" Come on, seriously. Get off your high horse. I spoke eight languages by the time I was a teen. How would this teen feel if I dissed them and basically called them stupid for not knowing 8 languages? We all have our talents, and we all have our weaknesses. There's no sense in taking a particular gift you have and holding up the rest of humanity to that standard.

Lastly, I would say: "Stop worrying about what others are doing and just enjoy doing whatever you're doing."

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-27-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,949,205 times
I think someone needs to "smoke some reefer" and jam out to Gaga while playing Halo. If the authors really 15, they need to lighten up. They have the reast of their lives to be a stressed out uptight corporate drone devoid of individuality or diversity.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,782,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
It's just a teen who doesn't quite fit in and is insecure about that, so feels the need to belittle everyone else. Hopefully he/she will mature over time.
My thoughts exactly! +1

Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM

563 posts, read 1,504,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I am on my ipod so I can't post links but I will quote it.

"As a 15 year old myself, I am absolutely disgusted with the behavior of most teenagers today.

Instead of studying, almost all they do is waste time and smoke reefer with their stupid skater buddies. They listen to the trashiest "music" (i.e., Lady GAGa, Little wayne, and Nicky Minage vs Heifetz, Rubenstein, Kogan, and Oistrakh) and read the trashiest "books" (Harry Potter and Twilight vs Crime and Punishment and The Red Badge of Courage), play the most awful games (Gears of War and Halo vs Chess and Weiqi), and emphasize sport and friendship over a good education. Furthermore, the lot of them not only lack discipline, but completely lack the skill of logical deduction. They worry about worthless inanties such as which clothing store to shop at instead of worrying about their study habits. In public schools, most of them become sexually active at fourteen (or younger!)! To top it off, the kind of mathematics they do is, frankly, baby work. Advanced classes mean nothing, they are still too easy. Plus there is too large an emphasis on "individuality" and "diversity" when that means nothing inside a classroom or job.

Will someone please explain to me why teenagers are so pathetic these days? I am dying for an answer."

As a teen I have words for this person lol! what would guys say to this? any thoughts
Some of the smartest kids who had the best grades in my class were potheads. Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with pot, in moderation. Rather pot than alcohol with teenagers. Drugs are bad though. No one anywhere should do drugs.
Music is music, and while I think Gaga and Niki minaj are trash, it doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to like it and listen to it. I'm sure the teenagers who swooned over Elvis were being told he was trash at one time.
Harry Potter are the best books of all time. Twilight, not so much.
Nothing wrong with games, in moderation. They are just games, and so long you know it's make believe, what's the harm?
Common sense/logic is lacking among many many people.
I do think there should be emphasis on what is important, as in NOT facebook and highscores etc.

I don't think teenagers being pathetic has anything to do with "these days". I think it just comes with the territory of being a teenager in general, regardless of generation. We all grow up eventually. Ok, well, most of us.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,252,058 times
Society has been on the slippery slope ever since ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting