Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,727,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Depends on the school policy. Some schools don't allow -any- tee-shirts with messages or images printed on them. If that's a policy already in place, then wearing the banana shirt would be a violation, and subject to the policy-mandated discipline.

However - if they didn't already have that as part of their dress code policy, then the students not only don't have to take them off, but it would be against the health code to take them off. And - regardless of the "function" of womens' breasts, it would also be sexual harrassment for a principal to require a woman to take off her shirt, no matter what was written on it. If the principal is demanding only that the males take them off, but not the females, then it would still be sexual harrassment - against the males.

Lots of "civil liberties" you can bandy around on this one. If I was the media I'd have a field day.
When kids have to change their shirts for whatever reason, they are typically made to wear their gym shirt, not go bare-chested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The students are not going to win. Schools are absolutely allowed to include in dress codes restrictions against anything "distracting" in regards to t-shirts etc. The can easily claim and prove to some degree that the tshirts are distracting from the educational process.

Additionally, very few suits regarding dress code "freedom of speech" go forward, because the law favors protecting the learning environment of the larger group over the freedom of expression (not really speech here) of the few.
The students can "win" even if they "lose". The goal of the protest is to have the punishment overturned. All it will take is a large enough and consistent enough effort to do it. At some point the school would be forced to relent as sticking to their guns and draconian punishment will simply not be worth fighting the entire student body. The students automatically lose if there are only a handful of them willing to do it.

If the students aren't willing to do it, then it would be up to the parents who have far more flexibility in what they can do to protest this. I'd love to see a principal telling a room full of parents they need to take off their t-shirts. This is a fight the school can only win if the students and parents are apathetic enough to let them win.

On the topic of the dress code and freedom of speech, there would need to be a specific school policy against it. The Supreme Court has upheld dress code standards as long as they were in place and contained specific language against the offending dress before the incident. If the school has a well written dress code policy, then there isn't much you can do legally, though it certainly has enough merit to force the school to defend it in court, which they certainly don't want to do, even if they would ultimately win. The process of the case is often more damaging than any outcome. FWIW, in the legal sense expression and speech are the same thing and covered by the first amendment. Hence why "offensive" artwork is considered protected speech, just as "Free Banana Man" t-shirts are and someone choosing to wear goth clothes.

Where the students have a VERY good legal standing is bringing actual bananas to school for snacks and lunch. It is impossible for the school to make the argument that bananas being brought to school for food pose a "threat to the learning environment". If the school persists on banning bananas, a lawsuit would be all but assured of victory.

The real issue here is that both sides are digging in their heels hoping the other will break first. The principal is trying to make a statement and needs to be brought back to reality.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM

645 posts, read 989,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Lots of "rights" of students are waived at school. Shoot, some California schools will make you take off a shirt with a picture of an American flag on it.
CA - What a disgrace. Wear a shirt with a flag of any other nation than our own and your right is "sacrosanct" - but don't you dare show pride in our beloved Old Glory!!!

Banana Man has my support!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,135 times
Yay! Brian gets to go back to school. Considering the fact that a student BURNED two students at a different county school and only got 10 days suspension, I don't see how they could have upheld this anyway. Banana man returning to school - The Chalkboard

So...what about my son who got suspended for wearing a shirt that supported him? They'd better not try to make him do the Saturday suspension. Well, frankly, I'm not letting him go anyway. But I guess if they try to put it on his record, we'll have to hire an attorney or something.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I, especially as a football fan, appreciate your brother's feelings. But this is beyond a kid in a costume. It's about the students' rights to wear that particular t-shirt and voice their opinion. (Ever see "Field of Dreams"? Right now I feel like Amy Madigan at the parents meeting in the gym.)

And freedom of speech is a hill I'm most definitely willing to battle for.
Students are told all the time that they can't wear particular clothes. Most schools have included in the dress code policy that you can't wear anything that would distract from the learning environment, and I can see how those shirts worn by so many students could qualify.

I'm not saying I agree with these rules, but schools have them.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,135 times
Quote:
The following statement was issued by Superintendent Randy Bridges this afternoon:

"My staff, under my direction, has reviewed the recent actions at Colonial Forge High School relating to the wearing of yellow tee shirts and other activities in support of a student who had been recently disciplined. We have concluded that many of the actions that were taken by the school were inappropriate. We are sorry for any embarrassment or inconvenience incurred by the students who were appropriately exercising their freedom of speech and by the families of those students. This administration and the School Board fully support the First Amendment rights of our students."

My son came home and said the vice principal called him in and told him no suspension and he got his shirt back.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

My son came home and said the vice principal called him in and told him no suspension and he got his shirt back.
All right! The Bill of Rights is a living, breathing force that is alive and well in the United States of America!

Power to the people!!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
Banana Man should write a big yellow thank you letter to the ACLU.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,619 times
Quote:

Yay! Good for Banana Man and his whole bunch! (sorry, couldn't resist...)

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,521 times
Quote:

It should have been the principal that had to retract the suspension and give the shirt back, wasn't that the culprit? That is a great story, thanks for sharing! Power trip cancelled, power to the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting