Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone about kids going through transitions, and this will pass. However, be careful the baby isn't training you to get up and entertain her at all hours of the night. You should try not to go in and pay attention to her every time this happens. Make her learn to put herself back to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,124,387 times
Why do you go in when you see her standing? Have you tried just waiting to see what she does? She might just think that she has learned an amazing way to make Mommy appear. Mine does still wake sometimes but goes back to sleep on his own. Now that he's moving he is so tired at night he can't stay up!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,848,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I have seen and heard of many babies who have figured out how to stand up but have not figured out how to get back down.
She doesn't know how to get back down for now, and she gets very stressed out if she stands for "longer periods of time" such as couple of minutes or so. That's why I have to physically put her down to sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Why do you go in when you see her standing?
I go in there, and tell her "It's time to go sleep", then I gently put her down, cover her, and leave. However, sometimes, she will stand up right away, and cry. Then I go in again, repeat the whole process, and leave. And then, there she goes again. I don't smile at her, take her out of the crib or anything.

The past two nights, I would rub her back, and she would fall asleep ( but still wake up couple more times later on ). And there were also times where I would rub her back till I thought she fell asleep - but as soon as I would leave, she would wake up, and repeat the process. So, she was just enjoying herself while I was rubbing her back and never fell asleep.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with everyone about kids going through transitions, and this will pass. However, be careful the baby isn't training you to get up and entertain her at all hours of the night. You should try not to go in and pay attention to her every time this happens. Make her learn to put herself back to sleep.
We sometimes think that she's training us too. I would try not to go in every time she cries, I just can't do it for now cause she doesn't know how to sit ( lay ) back down on her own after she stands up.

So far, all of your replies have been very helpful, thank you so much!!!Keep them coming please.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
We sometimes think that she's training us too. I would try not to go in every time she cries, I just can't do it for now cause she doesn't know how to sit ( lay ) back down on her own after she stands up.

So far, all of your replies have been very helpful, thank you so much!!!Keep them coming please.
Ugh - that's awful. When mine started standing he somehow always knew how to get back down. I told my husband that a lot of them don't know how and they "get stuck". Mine sticks his little butt all the way out and drops! Can you try teaching her during the day. Is that even possible? lol. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Mine sticks his little butt all the way out and drops! Can you try teaching her during the day. Is that even possible? lol. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right.
I will try teaching her that, thank you for the idea!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
She doesn't know how to get back down for now, and she gets very stressed out if she stands for "longer periods of time" such as couple of minutes or so. That's why I have to physically put her down to sleep...
How do you know she is upset because she cannot get down rather than because you have failed to appear as she expects?

I may be mean, but it seems to me if she can figure getting up, it is not a stretch to think she will figure out getting back down.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
How do you know she is upset because she cannot get down rather than because you have failed to appear as she expects?

I may be mean, but it seems to me if she can figure getting up, it is not a stretch to think she will figure out getting back down.
That's a good question. During the day, she will start crying if she stands for couple of minutes...two-three minutes all at once is fine, but after 5 or so, she starts crying...and her legs will get shaky. That's why I figured that she gets upset after standing for longer periods of time. At night, if I let her cry for couple of minutes, she just continues crying ( and standing ). So, it's either that she's training us like some of the previous posts mentioned, or she really doesn't know how to get back down.

I was trying to show her how to get back down on her own today...So far, there was some progress. She "fell" on her butt couple of times, and started crying. Now we just need to teach her how to be a bit more gentle...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,931,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That's just not true though. It is common for babies to know how to get up but not know how to get back down. Just because that wasn't your experience does not mean that these babies are manipulating us. I don't remember it being an issue with my first, but with my second there was a good 6 weeks of this where she didn't know how to get back down by herself. And even when she did figure it out, she would plop backwards and hit her head frequently. It took her a while to figure out how to do it without getting hurt. But I co-sleep, so it was never an issue for me at night with a crib and all that, just during the day.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
That's just not true though. It is common for babies to know how to get up but not know how to get back down. Just because that wasn't your experience does not mean that these babies are manipulating us. I don't remember it being an issue with my first, but with my second there was a good 6 weeks of this where she didn't know how to get back down by herself. And even when she did figure it out, she would plop backwards and hit her head frequently. It took her a while to figure out how to do it without getting hurt. But I co-sleep, so it was never an issue for me at night with a crib and all that, just during the day.
Exactly. It's so common that I was excited when mine did know how to get back down. I was anticipating having to get up at night just to sit him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting